Black-market ride hailing

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Black-market ride hailing

Post by mexi cali »

I think the bottom line here is, if the Taxi industry as it exists today were not broken, then companies like Uber and Lyft wouldn't be in the conversation.

The cost for a Taxi in this town is ridiculous even if you understand why it is ridiculous. The consumer is the one paying for the exhorbitant costs of licensing etc.

Cabs in larger centers are much cheaper because they are so in demand. driver drops off one and picks up another. New York is very reasonabale.

Along comes Uber and they seem to have found a better way to build the mouse trap and understandably, people are interested in at least finding out more about it. Turns out they are professional, the cars are insured properly and the cost is usually a fraction of what a cab costs and the cars are nice and they don't smell bad.

The new cab company in West Kelowna, by the way, employ very nice vehicles with respectable owners but they charge the same rates. I will use them however because of the cars. When Uber comes, it will be Uber.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Black-market ride hailing

Post by Urban Cowboy »

mexi cali wrote:
I believe that if Uber comes to town you can bet there will be those who don't bother with proper licensing, or getting the right drivers license. That's the kind of data that would be interesting to obtain from places that have had this service for some time.

Great post. These last couple of lines however are maybe inaccurate. With Uber, if you don't have all of the necessary pieces in place, you don't work for them. That is my understanding.

If there's some provision put in place by Uber in that regard then that's a good thing.

I honestly don't know enough about Uber in that respect.

My mind just conjured up a vision of all kinds of people going after what they view as a quick buck, and not being too concerned about rules.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “B.C.”