Skewed priorities

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Skewed priorities

Post by JagXKR »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:
Technically I think housing prices are what make canadians the most indebted in the world.

Technically that is not what the article states. But this gives a better picture of consumer debt.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/equifax ... -1.3884993

The average Canadian now owes $22,081 in consumer debt, a figure that doesn't include any mortgages, debt monitoring firm Equifax says.
In a report released Wednesday, Equifax says the debt figure increased by 3.6 per cent in the third quarter of 2016 compared to the same period a year ago. All in all, consumer debt now stands at more than $1.7 trillion.

Canada's GDP is aprox $1.9 trillion. Consumer debt is almost equal.

The OP is correct, anyone living cheque to cheque and going to Timmy's everyday is not money wise. Period. They will stay that way most likely for a long time. Just a guess, though I would not hesitate to bet against Mr Harris.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

LordEd wrote:As a question though, will you be willing to pay more to offset the extra expenses?

Sure I would. Is there a good argument for not paying a little extra? I mean, how much are we talking here? Thirty or forty cents a cup?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I'll offset you as I am now going to be going to Timmies a lot more and hope they don't change their tune. Something millennials and others who haven't grown up yet have to learn sometime in their lives - when you introduce dramatic seismic shifts to components of your income statement, there are consequences. I realize that most millennials have never had to deal with consequences of actions before (if they got a C- in school their parents just went and yelled at the teacher and turned it into an A-) but now is as good a time as any. So time to start going to Timmies! (and it will be simply allocating purchases to Timmies that were going elsewhere before, I mean, I'm not Alan Harris).

I'm guessing you actually meant to make a point there, but I'll be darned if I can find it.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I'll offset you as I am now going to be going to Timmies a lot more and hope they don't change their tune. Something millennials and others who haven't grown up yet have to learn sometime in their lives - when you introduce dramatic seismic shifts to components of your income statement, there are consequences. I realize that most millennials have never had to deal with consequences of actions before (if they got a C- in school their parents just went and yelled at the teacher and turned it into an A-) but now is as good a time as any. So time to start going to Timmies! (and it will be simply allocating purchases to Timmies that were going elsewhere before, I mean, I'm not Alan Harris).

I think someones using buttfacts again. Pretty sure you have no idea how millenials live, have lived, or were raised, you seem to have a pretty loose grasp on reality to begin with but this whole paragraph is really out there.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

johnny24 wrote:Weird. I've never had an unpaid break. I thought paid breaks was a law until I saw this story.

By break I should have specified the 30-60 minute ones people generally call lunch breaks. Unless something has changed in the last couple years, employers aren't required to pay for these. A lot of places will tack on an extra 30-60 minutes to a shift so that the employee still gets paid for 8 hours along with the unpaid break.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
johnny24 wrote:Weird. I've never had an unpaid break. I thought paid breaks was a law until I saw this story.

By break I should have specified the 30-60 minute ones people generally call lunch breaks. Unless something has changed in the last couple years, employers aren't required to pay for these. A lot of places will tack on an extra 30-60 minutes to a shift so that the employee still gets paid for 8 hours along with the unpaid break.

ok. Never been paid for those. I've always worked 8.5 hour days. I think the Tim Horton's was taking away paid coffee breaks though.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

johnny24 wrote:I think the Tim Horton's was taking away paid coffee breaks though.

That's what I thought at first as well but it sounded really weird so I just assumed people were outraged over longer breaks - lunch breaks - starting to be unpaid. I don't know, I'll re-read it.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-horton-s-tims-timmies-doubledouble-minimum-wage-ontario-kathleen-wynne-labour-1.4470215

8 hour shift will be paid 7 hours and 30 minutes

Sounds like lunch breaks. Still a jerk move but they were lucky to be paid for lunch breaks in the first place.

Return to “B.C.”