Re: Auditor General to review Site C

Post by Cactusflower »

Maybe it's time to revisit the Aecon/CCCI/BC Hydro connection:
https://www.straight.com/news/1034326/d ... d-bc-hydro
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Cactusflower wrote:How did we get so far off-topic? When I started this thread, I simply wanted those who don't pay any attention to the news that a Chinese SOE was trying to take over one of BC Hydro's construction companies. I and others thought it would affect the cost of construction of the Site C dam. Is there no topic that can't be turned into an anti-NDP rant?

Aecon is a contractor that bids on jobs for many in utilities in many regions and countries, not just BC Hydro's construction company. They, in fact, are made up of 27 companies and subsidiaries.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Jhunter199 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:How did we get so far off-topic? When I started this thread, I simply wanted those who don't pay any attention to the news that a Chinese SOE was trying to take over one of BC Hydro's construction companies. I and others thought it would affect the cost of construction of the Site C dam. Is there no topic that can't be turned into an anti-NDP rant?

Aecon is a contractor that bids on jobs for many in utilities in many regions and countries, not just BC Hydro's construction company. They, in fact, are made up of 27 companies and subsidiaries.

All the more reason to be leery of the takeover by a Chinese SOE, don't you think? They already own half the tar sands, and who knows how many other 'Canadian' corporations. If they own one of the biggest construction companies at Site C, they can make the costs skyrocket even more than they already have.

And then there's the legal aspect of their ability to sue us in our own courts. They're making me very nervous.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
All the more reason to be leery of the takeover by a Chinese SOE, don't you think?

Because we're supposed to be racists?

They already own half the tar sands,

What's tar sand? Are you stupidly referring to the Alberta oil sands? Do you have proof that the Chinese own "half"? Or is this just another disgusting lie from the lunatic fringe and US-backed propaganda websites?

If they own one of the biggest construction companies at Site C, they can make the costs skyrocket even more than they already have.

More lunatic fear-mongering, and blatant racism. Disgusting!!

They're making me very nervous.

Because you are a racist? Is the Japanese guy living across the street from you making you nervous too?

As usual, you totally miss the point. This has nothing to do with racism. I don't want your buddy Trump meddling in Canadian industry either.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Cactusflower wrote:All the more reason to be leery of the takeover by a Chinese SOE, don't you think? They already own half the tar sands, and who knows how many other 'Canadian' corporations. If they own one of the biggest construction companies at Site C, they can make the costs skyrocket even more than they already have.

And then there's the legal aspect of their ability to sue us in our own courts. They're making me very nervous.

Alberta's natural resources belong to Alberta, China does not own 1/2 the "oilsands" their companies have the right to develop Alberta's resources.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
As usual, you totally miss the point. This has nothing to do with racism. I don't want your buddy Trump meddling in Canadian industry either.

and as usual, you throw out lies, this time about the Chinese and Chinese investment, and then back-peddle when caught lying, again. It's just rinse and repeat - lie and fear-monger, look stupid, and start a new thread. It's getting really old.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Cactusflower wrote:All the more reason to be leery of the takeover by a Chinese SOE, don't you think? They already own half the tar sands, and who knows how many other 'Canadian' corporations. If they own one of the biggest construction companies at Site C, they can make the costs skyrocket even more than they already have.

What are the tar sands?

Remember, when you lie or try to make things up, it really hurts your credibility.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The Athabasca oil sands (or tar sands) are large deposits of bitumen or extremely heavy crude oil, located in northeastern Alberta, Canada – roughly centred on the boomtown of Fort McMurray.

Tar Sands Basics
ostseis.anl.gov › Oil Shale/Tar Sands Guide
Tar sands (also referred to as oil sands) are a combination of clay, sand, water, and bitumen, a heavy black viscous oil. Tar sands can be mined and processed to extract the oil-rich bitumen, which is then refined into oil.
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Feb 21st, 2018, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the calling people liars needs to stop now.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The authorities on the definition are saying that. An it really is not an Americanism when the definition specifically references ALBERTA tar/oil sands.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

There is no tar in there at all but it sounds dirty and so those opposed to the oil sands use the term. It's actually "bituminous sand" which contains sand, clay, water, and a type of bitumen. "Oil sands" is more accurate than "tar sands" because oil is the end result. Not tar. And it sounds better than the "Sand, clay, water, bitumen sands." Anyway, is the auditor general going to review the name of the oil sands as part of the Site C review?
:D
If not then we should probably get back on topic.
Last edited by Urbane on Feb 21st, 2018, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

flamingfingers wrote:The authorities on the definition are saying that. An it really is not an Americanism when the definition specifically references ALBERTA tar/oil sands.

Thanks for filling in for me while I was at work, FF. Actually, no one should have to defend the truth, and no one should be attacked by a bunch of jackals, either. The topic is Site C, not the tar sands anyway.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Cactusflower wrote:
All the more reason to be leery of the takeover by a Chinese SOE, don't you think? They already own half the tar sands, and who knows how many other 'Canadian' corporations. If they own one of the biggest construction companies at Site C, they can make the costs skyrocket even more than they already have.

If im not mistaken it was you that brought up the "oilsands" topic in this thread. I was just correcting your mistake.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I grew up in Alberta and in fact have a small plastic (oh the irony) container labeled 'Tar sand' that I got at the exhibition grounds one year during Klondike Days. Yes, it contains a small amount of tar sand, or oil sand if you like. They are one and the same but the use of the term tar sand has been dropped for the cleaner sounding oil sand. It's still tar sand and it is still a very viable source of oil, despite what the American backed environuts say. But, like someone else said... :topic:
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Jhunter199 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

If im not mistaken it was you that brought up the "oilsands" topic in this thread. I was just correcting your mistake.

Before we go back to the Site C topic, what does the acronym 'CNOOC' stand for?

Return to “B.C.”