ICBC

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Post by Urban Cowboy »

gordon_as wrote:
Old Techie wrote:A lesson that will play out well next election.

....When the NDP wins a majority :130:

Tell you what, a hundred bucks, put your money where your mouth is!
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Tom Fletcher gives credit to Eby. Three short excerpts and a link to the full column:

He is doing what four previous B.C. governments wouldn’t do, which is change a system that rewards people for staying injured instead of getting better. And he’s staring down his fellow lawyers in the personal injury field, who have turned thousands of minor injury claims into winning lottery tickets for themselves and their clients, at the expense of people with serious disabilities from vehicle crashes.

A $5,500 cap on “pain and suffering” payouts is a necessary first step. And a civil resolution tribunal to assess minor injury claims without the slow and vastly expensive court system is equally important.

Eby deserves full credit for his other major move, which is to take the money being siphoned off for minor injuries and use some of it to double the maximum benefit for serious injury and death, from $150,000 to $300,000. Incredibly, this is the first increase since 1991 for people whose lives are actually devastated by a crash.

With a caution:

And Eby’s formula contains a flaw that could prove fatal to the whole exercise. The “minor injury” assessment has a one-year deadline. The ministry explains it this way:

“If, after 12 months, a customer continues to have serious impairment from the injury, or has significant inability to care for themselves, it would no longer be considered minor and would not be subject to the limit for pain and suffering payouts.”

The last NDP government discovered 20 years ago what happens to welfare rolls when the rate is raised and eligibility is eased. More people opt for a free ride than you expect. They may soon get a similar lesson in human nature.
https://www.vicnews.com/opinion/b-c-vie ... m-at-icbc/
donmor46

Post by donmor46 »

Why don't they get rid of some of the buildings they bought? BC Tel building in Burnaby for starters.
Why do they need three (3) Vice Presidents. The US only has one and ICBC needs three.
Cross reference the names of people that make a claim. Many family members have several minor accidents with claims. Over and over again.
There, I've saved millions .
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

donmor46 wrote:Why don't they get rid of some of the buildings they bought? BC Tel building in Burnaby for starters.
Why do they need three (3) Vice Presidents. The US only has one and ICBC needs three.
Cross reference the names of people that make a claim. Many family members have several minor accidents with claims. Over and over again.

Selling assets in an insurance company's portfolio is not generally thought of as "saving money".

One of the strengths ICBC has is it's vast data base of claimants, do you really thing tracking associates isn't part of investigating claims?

ICBC is forecasting a $1.3 Billion shortfall. Just how much do you thing each VP is paid ? I don't think you fully grasp how large and diverse ICBC is.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Privatize, just like Alberta and others. Friends in Lethbridge with the identical car, down to the color, pay about $700, we pay $1300, for the same damn coverage. It will also reduce the size of Government by a few hundred staff. Private insurance will also weed out the bad drivers.

I liked the Saskatchewan system where license and registration were based on the vehicle only. A driver's license fee was based on driving records. Drunk driving and speeding tickets could create a $5000 yearly fee for that piece of paper.

PS: Why do we have to pay extra for an "uninsured driver"?
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

my5cents wrote:
donmor46 wrote:Why don't they get rid of some of the buildings they bought? BC Tel building in Burnaby for starters.

Selling assets in an insurance company's portfolio is not generally thought of as "saving money".

One of the strengths ICBC has is it's vast data base of claimants, do you really thing tracking associates isn't part of investigating claims?

ICBC is forecasting a $1.3 Billion shortfall. Just how much do you thing each VP is paid ? I don't think you fully grasp how large and diverse ICBC is.

"Many family members"............let me guess.............SURREY!
This part is very true. Need a new TV and Fridge...........one hit and run rear ender coming up. And most of the vehicles damaged are cheaper models............ohhhhhhhhhhh..........the neck pain..........again.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

my5cents wrote:ICBC is forecasting a $1.3 Billion shortfall. Just how much do you thing each VP is paid ? I don't think you fully grasp how large and diverse ICBC is.

While I understand your point that the problems at ICBC are much greater and more complicated than merely revamping their upper management structure, and/or salary levels, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't take a closer look at some of those things. Because often organizations spend so much time looking for the single solution, that they miss the myriad of small things that can add up to quite a lot.

I firmly believe in the old adage that "if you look after the pennies, the dollars will look after themselves". And both ICBC and our Government would do well to remember that.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Stop borrowing from ICBC.

Too many petty or rigged claims.

Any dividends go to reduce rates.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Read it and weep...especially West Kelowna..

http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/r ... you-to-see
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It's far more entertaining to read the comments made by typical NDP shills, clueless in so many regards, it just boggles the mind.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

So...

You would like to just ignore the mess Liberals made of ICBC?

That would cost you and all taxpayers.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:So...

You would like to just ignore the mess Liberals made of ICBC?

That would cost you and all taxpayers.
The Liberals are sleazy while the NDP are sleazy and incompetent. As many of us have said for a long time we really need a third viable option in this province.

I don't think that the Liberals handled ICBC very well but let's remember that the money taken from ICBC was at least put into general revenue. Programs like health and education benefitted. Raiding ICBC was a bad idea, started by the NDP and continued by the Liberals, and it needs to end.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^
ClimateChange Steves
@Harold_Steves
4h4 hours ago
More ClimateChange Steves Retweeted Nic Slater
Almost everything the @ChristyClarkeBcc @BCLiberals touched shows signs of mismanagement, from money laundering to ICBC to the #SiteC DamClimateChange Steves added,
Nic Slater

@Nic_Slater
More damning evidence that the @BCLiberals gaming Regulations (Protections) were inadequate to the task of enforcing against #MoneyLaundering here in British Columbia.
#bcpoli https://twitter.com/scoopercooper/statu ... 7634427906
1 reply 19 retweets 28 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 19 Like 28 Direct message
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ Lots of faux scandals with a few real ones with the Liberals. Unfortunately, the NDP is a downgrade so we really need a third viable option. At least with Andrew Wilkinson as leader will get a revamped Liberal Party as an option.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:^^ Lots of faux scandals with a few real ones with the Liberals. Unfortunately, the NDP is a downgrade so we really need a third viable option. At least with Andrew Wilkinson as leader will get a revamped Liberal Party as an option.

Can always rely on you to defend the indefensible, Urbane.

Wilkinson sent de Jong and Coleman to the back benches but he has indicated that their role is to be 'mentors' for the newer (not NEW) faces in his Opposition party.

Same old, same old arrogant and corrupt BC Liberal Party.
Chill

Return to “B.C.”