51807
51574

ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby my5cents » Feb 9th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Hassel99 wrote:I think it makes this video worse imo lol


YES ! I agree, I think police should have to obey every single law at all times even when conducting important investigations following hardened gang criminals that have continually shot up our neighborhoods, not only killing each other but innocent children.

We should have a law that every police officer should have to drive a marked police car in full uniform, even when conducting surveillance on criminals. If they must go through a red light or speed to accomplish their objectives they should have to have lots of red lights and sirens on when doing so.

If such action negates most if not all their important surveillance so be it. It's not like the investigation of gangs is something important.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 9th, 2018, 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Making it personal
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3307
Likes: 638 posts
Liked in: 954 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby gordon_as » Feb 9th, 2018, 1:50 pm

George+ wrote:What, still no proof of NDP raiding or amounts?

!



Do you think Old Techie is referring to the $ 219 Million that the NDP took out of ICBC profits in 2000 ?
Does he think that set a precedent for The Libs taking 1.6 Billion ?
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2782
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 887 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby Old Techie » Feb 9th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Raiding is raiding, whether it's a billion or a quarter billion, so I'm not really sure what your point is, other than perhaps you're annoyed the NDP didn't take more. :biggrin:

Many of us have in fact openly stated, that we don't much care for how the accounting was done, and prefer more transparency, so hopefully that will now come to be.

Remember the funds taken wound up in general revenue, so without a doubt, many of those crying, have in fact benefited from those funds. Don't act like Christy took them and threw a party for Liberal supporters, which has certainly crossed your minds.

How about instead of grandstanding and pointing at the Liberals, we stem the bleeding by applying solutions to address the problem. So far from what I've read people seem to want their cake and eat it too.
Last edited by Old Techie on Feb 9th, 2018, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2883
Likes: 2379 posts
Liked in: 3993 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby Hassel99 » Feb 9th, 2018, 2:00 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 9th, 2018, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed remark.
User avatar
Hassel99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3248
Likes: 912 posts
Liked in: 2681 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 8:31 am

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby gordon_as » Feb 9th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Gordon_as said :
Do you think Old Techie is referring to the $ 219 Million that the NDP took out of ICBC profits in 2000 ?
Does he think that set a precedent for The Libs taking 1.6 Billion ?


Old Techie wrote:Raiding is raiding, whether it's a billion or a quarter billion, so I'm not really sure what your point is, other than perhaps you're annoyed the NDP didn't take more. :biggrin:

.


The $ 219 Million was handed out to ICBC policy holders in the form of $100 rebates.(road safety dividend) Oh , and that was right after 6 consecutive years (NDP years) with no increases to premiums. :up:
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2782
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 887 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby Old Techie » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:06 pm

^^ Just multiple years of deficit budgets instead. :up:
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2883
Likes: 2379 posts
Liked in: 3993 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:25 pm

^'^Just add up the years of BC Liberals faux 'balanced budgets' because of the millions stolen from ICBC and BC Hydro (who had to borrow money to pay this so-called 'dividend').

Thanks to 16 years of BC Liberal mismanagement, incompetence and malfeasance, we now have a horrible debt problem that the Opposition NOW feels the new government should 'fix' in a matter of months.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19475
Likes: 5156 posts
Liked in: 5814 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby Urbane » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:38 pm

    flamingfingers wrote:^'^Just add up the years of BC Liberals faux 'balanced budgets' because of the millions stolen from ICBC and BC Hydro (who had to borrow money to pay this so-called 'dividend').

    Thanks to 16 years of BC Liberal mismanagement, incompetence and malfeasance, we now have a horrible debt problem that the Opposition NOW feels the new government should 'fix' in a matter of months.
The ICBC financial situation does need fixing and the government shouldn't be taking money out of the corporation. In the whole scheme of things it's a very minor issue though because the province is in great financial shape. Good on the Liberals for that! Your three words to describe the Liberals' management are meaningless because the stats show otherwise.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20324
Likes: 7453 posts
Liked in: 8924 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby flamingfingers » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:42 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 10th, 2018, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19475
Likes: 5156 posts
Liked in: 5814 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby ferri » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:43 pm

*Don't start making it personal! Stay on topic.
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 43224
Likes: 13590 posts
Liked in: 8325 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby Old Techie » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:49 pm

*removed*

The Liberal government also carried BC through a bad recession, yet we managed to stay in better shape than most other provinces whose debts are far higher.

I'm curious to know what your rebuttal is for the NDP's deficit budgets, given that times were very good when they had control.

Might it be frivolously throwing monies at studies, to employ NDP partisans, focusing on growing the government payroll as much as possible, spending too much on infrastructure........... oh wait, they didn't spend any money on that, but all of the above apply, yet for the debt incurred during the Liberal reign, I can think of endless additions, highways, multiple bridges, schools, Universities, hospitals, dams, and so on.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer seeing some assets for my tax dollars, as opposed to a bunch of unnecessary public sector workers, simply to appease the NDP puppet masters.

Given that you live on the island, I can forgive your ignorance pertaining to a lot of things, but if you ever happen out this way, by all means take a tour of UBCO alone, and compare it to what we had under the NDP. While traveling note the highway improvements, hospital improvements like the cancer centre, as well as ongoing ones.

Feel free to provide a list of what all the NDP did here when they had the chance. I'm sure that list will be short.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 10th, 2018, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2883
Likes: 2379 posts
Liked in: 3993 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby Old Techie » Feb 9th, 2018, 6:56 pm

flamingfingers wrote:*removed*


*removed*

Overall when Horgan took over BC was in excellent economic shape, and $1.3 billion in the grand scheme of things is a drop in the bucket, particularly when acknowledging the monies taken out of ICBC went toward British Columbians.

This deficit is the result of unexpected skyrocketing claims costs, and it's that which needs to be addressed, and soon. The Liberals aren't in government anymore, so focus on what your beloved leader can do to address the problem, instead of being focused on sabotaging as many industries possible, in a battle he'll never win.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 10th, 2018, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2883
Likes: 2379 posts
Liked in: 3993 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby gordon_as » Feb 9th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Old Techie wrote:
Call me crazy, but I much prefer seeing some assets for my tax dollars, as opposed to a bunch of unnecessary public sector workers, simply to appease the NDP puppet masters.
.




Like the 32% increase in management personnel and 50% increase in management costs (before the bonuses that almost every one of them got) at ICBC between 2007 and 2011 , during which time the front line staff was being reduced. *removed*


*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 10th, 2018, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.

flamingfingers likes this post.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2782
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 887 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby gordon_as » Feb 9th, 2018, 8:02 pm

*removed*

The FACT is that prior to 2002 ICBC provided efficient and low cost insurance for BC Drivers. The FACT is that after 2002 ICBC started gouging drivers and using the profits to deliver the appearance of balanced budgets. It was a tax , plain and simple, from a government that touted "low taxes" whenever it was time to go to the polls again.

NDP Years
In 1997 ICBC reported a surplus of $ 14 million , in 1998 a surplus of $ 120 million. In 2000 a surplus of $ 139 Million.
In 2000 they gave $ 219 million back directly to policy holders . (paid in 2001)

Now fast forward to the Liberal years. 2008 $ 500 million profit , 2009 $ 560 million profit , 2007 $630 Million Profit ........ Want to guess where that money all went ?

From 1997 to 2000 , insurance rates droped by 2.9%.
From 2000 to 2005 insurance rates went up by 9.2% turning a $590 million profit for ICBC.
2006 to 2010 profits were over $2.1 Billion

Are you starting to see the pattern *removed* ?
Last edited by ferri on Feb 10th, 2018, 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Making it personal
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2782
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 887 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: ICBC: Losses could be $1.3 billion

Postby gordon_as » Feb 9th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Old Techie wrote:
Given that you live on the island, I can forgive your ignorance pertaining to a lot of things, but if you ever happen out this way, by all means take a tour of UBCO alone, and compare it to what we had under the NDP.


I have been googling around and can't find the answer to a question I have , so I figured I'd ask you because you seem to think you are the expert on ....... well , everything.

Who paid for UBCO ?
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2782
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 887 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cactusflower and 5 guests