1422 Overdose deaths- Tax payer money savings?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
johnrae
Fledgling

1422 Overdose deaths- Tax payer money savings?

Post by johnrae »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/217683 ... 1422-lives

"The coroner says there appears to be more overdose deaths in the five days after income assistance payments are issued"

1422 people x $900/month = 1,260,000 per month. Wow , that's a lot of money that could be given to people who want help. And that money savings doesn't include the healthcare costs, policing costs, ambulance costs and the drug shoot up clinics. Wow, I could go on and on and on but I am on my lunch break. See , I am working and paying taxes to pay for this crap. I am gonna get eaten alive by the snowflake Liberals ,but please just sit back and think about the numbers. This might be a good thing. :200:
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: 1422 Overdose deaths- Tax payer money savings?

Post by Hassel99 »

Your math is wrong due to the faulty assumption that all deaths were those on social assistance.
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

Hassel99 wrote:Your math is wrong due to the faulty assumption that all deaths were those on social assistance.

My math is probably way off. I have no idea how much of my tax money we give them per month to sit in City Park and shoot up. You are correct.
Sorry :hailjo:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Another wrong assumption is that none of those over 1400 people work, as in have jobs or are self employed.

So many wrong assumptions in one thread.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

How many people thought they were getting something like Coke, mdma etc etc. Those people who thought they were getting one drug could of infact been getting a product laced with fetanyl (spelling). Wasn't their a couple who passed away in their home, used what they thought was cocaine turned out out to be laced with fetanyl. Sometimes it's just a complete accident.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

TheBoss wrote:How many people thought they were getting something like Coke, mdma etc etc. Those people who thought they were getting one drug could of infact been getting a product laced with fetanyl (spelling). Wasn't their a couple who passed away in their home, used what they thought was cocaine turned out out to be laced with fetanyl. Sometimes it's just a complete accident.

There is no "Accident" when it comes to this. Everyone and their grandma should know by now, there is a huge issue with chemical based drugs being laced with Fent/Carfent and whatever else. If you keep using then you are taking that risk knowing full well the consequences of it. We all have the ability to choose our path. I have ZERO sympathy for these people that knowingly use hard drugs with the risks associated with it. I do have sympathy for their family and friends that are left wondering why.

Its about time we start throwing the repeat offending drug addicts in mandatory rehab instead of jail. Addiction is not an excuse to commit crime and get away with it. If you commit a crime the law will send you to jail, so why cant we send them to rehab?
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Of the 1422 who were recreational drug users should impo have chosen a different recreation long before their passing.
As I've said before, if you play with fire sooner or later you will get burnt.

My condolences to all of Families & Friends of those who are gone.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

^^^ legalized drugs would have saved the majority of those lives lost. If the government really cared they wouldn't ban things that people are willing to lose their life over to consume. See thread om decriminalization of all drugs.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Sparki55 wrote:legalized drugs would have saved the majority of those lives lost. If the government really cared they wouldn't ban things that people are willing to lose their life over to consume. See thread om decriminalization of all drugs.

impo what would save lives is going after those who are & continuing to push opioid based pain killers. Fully knowing the huge risk of addiction & dependence.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

So I was a BC Housing building the other day in which tax payers pumped in several million to make it nice and modern for low income housing types to live in. Many of the tenants suffer from drug and alcohol addiction, which is sad, but I had to laugh when I saw the "shopping cart" of one of the residents. I should have taken a picture. It read something like, "my landlord stole my money to buy crack, and kicked me out." LOL, no, tax payers just spend several million to give you a place to live in.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Sparki55 wrote:legalized drugs would have saved the majority of those lives lost. If the government really cared they wouldn't ban things that people are willing to lose their life over to consume. See thread om decriminalization of all drugs.

GordonH wrote:impo what would save lives is going after those who are & continuing to push opioid based pain killers. Fully knowing the huge risk of addiction & dependence.

Follow up
Better form of pain killer is needed (come July 1 one will be legalized). I'm not a fan of smell from smoking (it really stinks), there are non-smoking version of taking MJ.
If I had to take a pain killer (stronger then Tylenol) I would opt for MJ first (I would not smoke it though), if that did the job why go for a pill
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

What people often forget with these deaths and other addiction related issues is that the cost to us is huge. It is really expensive to raise a kid to adulthood. Those resources need to be repaid or the person has been a huge draw on our society. Of course, some will be a drain anyway, but we need to do our best to recoup the investment. That's best done by making sure that people with addiction can find a way back to full productivity or at least very high functioning addiction.

Early preventably deaths cheat us of resources and are inefficient and targeted resources can minimise losses and maximise returns. It is shortsighted to avoid spending money on reviving OD people, but we need to be aggressive about providing quality and effective rehab.
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

Last edited by ferri on Nov 14th, 2018, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting

Return to “Social Concerns”