Referendum on how BC votes

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Referendum on how BC votes

Post by Glacier »

The reason the northern ridings have fewer people is that there are so few people up there that making the ridings with the right number of people would be "problematic", and those would be still smaller than the ones PR proponenta would like. It's a tradeoff between equal population and practical size.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Verum wrote:^^^
Something to sink one's teeth into:
http://rubenson.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Anderson.pdf
I don't have the other source of stats to hand, but you can clearly see on the graph that PR countries have effectively more political parties than FPTP.

The false equivalency of quantity over quality. Our FPTP system demands a quality and broad view party to win constituencies. PR tends towards popularity contests, short term thinking, populism and rigid fringe thinking.

Canada's FPTP system produces better governance than 95% of PR countries. It also produces more personal freedom than all but one of them, and more efficient/less costly governance to boot.

Would you rather have 3 quality candidates in an election or 5 plods? I'll go for the 3 quality candidates.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

hobbyguy wrote:........
Would you rather have 3 quality candidates in an election or 5 plods? I'll go for the 3 quality candidates.

I think most would be happy with just one if we could ever be so lucky.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two

Return to “B.C.”