Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Alberta pulls plug on B.C./Wine

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 20th, 2018, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Seriously?
On Monday, B.C. announced it is invoking dispute settlement of the wine ban under Canada's free-trade agreement. The mechanism calls for four months of consultation and, if that doesn't work, an arbitration panel takes over.

Four months? Seriously?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

rustled wrote:Seriously?
On Monday, B.C. announced it is invoking dispute settlement of the wine ban under Canada's free-trade agreement. The mechanism calls for four months of consultation and, if that doesn't work, an arbitration panel takes over.

Four months? Seriously?

I'm surprised its that short to be honest. If they let any part of this go through the courts its going to drag on for e v e r.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

CapitalB wrote:
rustled wrote:Four months? Seriously?

I'm surprised its that short to be honest. If they let any part of this go through the courts its going to drag on for e v e r.

How the heck can they even pretend to be governing?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I thought Albertans would know the difference between tar sands bitumen and crude oil. Maybe those guys should stop reading CAPP's newsletters and crack a science journal for a change.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:
I thought Albertans would know the difference between tar sands bitumen and crude oil. Maybe those guys should stop reading CAPP's newsletters and crack a science journal for a change.

Most people don't know what "tar sands" are as this is a completely invented term by anti-oil sands People. As for the wine war, this has to be one of the more ludicrous trade wars I've ever seen.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Cactusflower wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out.

Likely 'crude oil' is Canadian Press paraphrasing.

I found what looks to be his actual statement.

Bilous . . . "We have one buyer, which is the U.S., (and) the differential is somewhere around $30 (US a barrel). We've lost out on billions of dollars," (https://energynow.ca/2018/02/alberta-sh ... marten-up/).
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Oh! Oh! Sorry, nope!

Looks like crude is included.

"Notley and Bilous have said the Trans Mountain expansion is critical because Alberta’s crude oil sells at a sharp discount on the North American market due to pipeline bottlenecks and to a lack of access to a better price on overseas markets."

http://www.680news.com/2018/02/20/alber ... -at-stake/
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jack DeBear wrote:...
Likely 'crude oil' is Canadian Press paraphrasing.

I found what looks to be his actual statement.

Bilous . . . "We have one buyer, which is the U.S., (and) the differential is somewhere around $30 (US a barrel). We've lost out on billions of dollars," (https://energynow.ca/2018/02/alberta-sh ... marten-up/).

It may be they're planning to ship both?

Bilous said Alberta won't even come to the table unless B.C. reverses its decision to refuse additional oil from Alberta while it studies spill safety.
...snip...
"A province cannot dictate what goes in a pipeline. That is a federal jurisdiction.

"They need to acknowledge that, recognize it and ensure that this pipeline moves forward."
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

I should have said crude and dilbit. Products can be sipped in the same line in sequenced batches.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Jack DeBear wrote:I should have said crude and dilbit. Products can be sipped in the same line in sequenced batches.

Are you talking wine or oil? :biggrin:
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Looks like a typo in that link. Someone forgot the second 'i' in Alberta's economic development minister's name. And it appears he's no smarter than his boss. They're both expecting Trudeau to save their bacon, but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do so. Perhaps the Alberta government and industry should have started diversifying years ago. Then they wouldn't be whining now about how much money they're losing by having to sell their bitumen for less than half of crude oil.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps the Alberta government and industry should have started diversifying years ago. Then they wouldn't be whining now about how much money they're losing by having to sell their bitumen for less than half of crude oil.

I like how people who couldn't run a lemonade stand are making these grandiose comments about "diversifying economies" and "building refineries". I realize this is what you are told to think by the propaganda sites you read, but the way you guys state things as if they are so simple and only you are the ones who have thought of it is as funny as it is stupid. Why hasn't Venezuela "diversifed" it's economy? Saudi Arabia? Norway? Do you even know what this means?

It's pretty simple - Alberta gets to ship it's oil via the KM to China, and everyone wins. A tiny minority of complete morons stands in the way of this, all of whom having their tiny brains manipulated by US economic interests. Alberta - go for it man. Get your oil to China. Ignore the morons.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

Most people don't know what "tar sands" are as this is a completely invented term by anti-oil sands People. As for the wine war, this has to be one of the more ludicrous trade wars I've ever seen.

I see. Then you don't know what bitumen is either. That's why you call everyone who does, "People". But you're right about this ludicrous trade war. Notley should have had more sense than to take on B.C. Almost have to feel sorry for her though. She's fighting a losing political battle with that Trump wannabe, Jason Kenney.

Return to “B.C.”