Avalanche warnings....

dle
Lord of the Board

Avalanche warnings....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218617

This article doesn't say what the person was doing when they were hit by the avalanche, and I seriously do hope they come out of this okay, but if it was recreational like it sounds it probably was, you really have to wonder what the hell's-bells they were thinking.

There are a good number people with devil-may-care personalities who, granted, probably have way, way more fun than I do, but stretch things beyond the point of sane reasoning sometimes.

You had to be living under a rock to not be aware of the EXTREME conditions over in the Roger's Pass area this last week - the authorities couldn't have been more diligent in making everyone aware, but still people are "meh, nothing will happen to me.... they are all over-reacting... I am experienced.... I know what I'm doing" or whatever other dumb excuse they use for doing it anyway. Then something happens (who knew?!) and they expect others to put their lives in danger to go rescue their STUPID butts :-X and cause their loved ones extreme worry for their own selfish fun.
seewood
Guru

Re: Avalanche warnings....

Post by seewood »

I used to spend a great deal of time in the back country. Nice to still be around to remember the great memories.
I hear so many times that the members of the party were equipped with the proper equipment when venturing out in the back country including the transceivers that one wears set on send.
This equipment does not prevent avalanches, the transceivers just help in finding the body quicker. A large avalanche may cause too much trauma to a body where hope of a successful retrieval is slim.
Seen them, brother and dog have been caught in them( came out fine) and is an eye opener for sure.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Avalanche warnings....

Post by dle »

seewood wrote:I used to spend a great deal of time in the back country. Nice to still be around to remember the great memories.
I hear so many times that the members of the party were equipped with the proper equipment when venturing out in the back country including the transceivers that one wears set on send.
This equipment does not prevent avalanches, the transceivers just help in finding the body quicker. A large avalanche may cause too much trauma to a body where hope of a successful retrieval is slim.
Seen them, brother and dog have been caught in them( came out fine) and is an eye opener for sure.

Being out in nature - on land or in water - is spectacular - just breathing in the fresh air is a heavenly rush isn't it? It can be pure paradise - but we just have to remember that it's a different set of rules out there and to respect its beauty and its power while we enjoy it. Know when to say "not today, see you soon though!"

Return to “B.C.”