BC Conservatives Support Reforming ICBC

ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

The BC Conservative Party supports reforming the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) in order to reduce insurance rates for BC drivers.

Over years of mismanaging ICBC, the Liberals raided the crown corporation repeatedly in order to tell British Colombians that they had balanced the province’s budget. A recent report by Ernst & Young found that the average driver in B.C. may need to pay almost $2,000 in annual total premiums for auto insurance by 2019, an increase of 30 per cent over today’s rates. ICBC itself indicated that rates would need to increase by 42 per cent over the next five years to make up for expenses. Even now BC drivers pay the highest insurance premiums in Canada.

"ICBC has turned into a train wreck and a national embarrassment," said Scott Anderson, Interim Leader of the BC Conservatives. "The Liberals used it as a piggy bank and the NDP's answer is to simply raise rates, just as they plan to raise taxes. Neither one is acceptable."

The BC Conservatives will turn ICBC into a co-operative, ensuring that BC drivers who pay premiums will be the ones who own the organization. A co-operative will work in drivers’ best interest, rather than serving the government of the day.
The BC Conservatives will also open the industry to private competition, to help drive rates lower.
British Columbia has a well established, profitable, strong, and well managed co-operative movement. BC is home to three of the five largest credit unions in Canada, plus a co-operative that is the largest supplier of outdoor equipment in Canada.

“We agree with the Canadian Taxpayers Federation that ICBC should be turned into a co-operative owned by BC drivers,” said Anderson. “Competition also must be opened up to private companies for basic insurance in order to reduce insurance rates for everyone. It is completely unacceptable that BC drivers now pay the highest insurance premiums in Canada!”

“The NDP built ICBC, the Liberals destroyed it, and now the NDP are trying to fix the sinking ship with skyrocketing insurance rates. A guaranteed way to ensure that BC drivers no longer pay the highest insurance rates in Canada is to turn ICBC into a co-op, then open up basic insurance to competition,” concluded Anderson.

http://www.bcconservative.ca/
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: BC Conservatives Support Reforming ICBC

Post by Verum »

Much as I don't support many traditional Conservative attitudes towards social issues, such as the war on drugs, etc. I have to say that your policies around ICBC, electoral reform, ride sharing and autonomous vehicles make a lot of sense both from an economics point of view and the inevitable progress of technology aspect too. It is good to see a Conservative party welcoming the future and not fighting against such inevitable change. I hope that your policies do get heard in our assembly, even if I do not always agree with them.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The B.C. Lieberals are the B.C. Conservatives.
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

Verum wrote:Much as I don't support many traditional Conservative attitudes towards social issues, such as the war on drugs, etc. I have to say that your policies around ICBC, electoral reform, ride sharing and autonomous vehicles make a lot of sense both from an economics point of view and the inevitable progress of technology aspect too. It is good to see a Conservative party welcoming the future and not fighting against such inevitable change. I hope that your policies do get heard in our assembly, even if I do not always agree with them.

You may like this one too, George:

https://www.straight.com/cannabis/10297 ... g-cannabis
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote:The B.C. Lieberals are the B.C. Conservatives.

And the BC New Dumbs are the BC Communists.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

They should take it a step further and eliminate ICBC :up:
If the NDP truly believe the LIbs been dipping in it, why not get rid of it? Not like the NDP will be there long before the Libs or Cons get in.

Return to “B.C.”