Boycot WestJet! Boycot Alberta beef!

vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Boycot WestJet! Boycot Alberta beef!

Post by vegas1500 »

jayro wrote:I like Notley at least she is showing strong leadership standing up for Alberta jobs something Christy never did. I really hope Horgan changes his mind and gives approval to building the pipeline.

He can’t stop it, just delay it. It will happen.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

jayro wrote:I like Notley at least she is showing strong leadership standing up for Alberta jobs something Christy never did. I really hope Horgan changes his mind and gives approval to building the pipeline.

I don't think he will until Trudeau can offer more than just platitudes about his 'world-class spill response'. As it stands, he hasn't explained who's going to be responsible and how they plan to clean up a bitumen spill once the tankers leave the dock.

So I repeat, I think Horgan's got grounds for another environmental assessment from the new agency that will be replacing the NEB in June.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:So I repeat, I think Horgan's got grounds for another environmental assessment from the new agency that will be replacing the NEB in June.

Yes and tell us again how the Auditor General is going to shut down Site C. These conspiracy theories are so entertaining.

And brainless premiers don't get horribly expensive time wasting needless and stupid environmental assessments because a tiny band of mentally ill fear-mongering psychopaths want them. And thank goodness for that.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I see plenty of grounds for a psychological assessment.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

If only they boycotted BC in the summer.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

The Feds admit that their environmental assessment was flawed. So yeah lets go with that one dead brains. [icon_lol2.gif]
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Personally I think that BC should just offer a rebate on all purely electric cars, making them as affordable as fossil fueled cars.
Then more people would have the choice of boycotting Albertas oil companies and giving BC Hydro their money.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

stuphoto wrote:Personally I think that BC should just offer a rebate on all purely electric cars, making them as affordable as fossil fueled cars.

do you have any idea, at all, of what that would cost. Take a ballpark guess.

Then more people would have the choice of boycotting Albertas oil companies and giving BC Hydro their money.

or our bonehead un-elected premier could do the right thing, and let the pipeline get built. I prefer that option.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

My original post had nothing to do with the merits of the pipeline plan, only to propose a response in kind to the blunt force boycott of B.C. (Okanagan) wine. While a few of our wineries are corporate, most are individual and family owned. They are unfairly targeted in a trade war that isn't even about trade. Premier Horgan can instruct government employees to only fly on AC. Jeez, I haven't seen one post on this thread that comes to the defence of our wineries and vineyards for abing collateral damage in what is a conflict over environmental issues.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

occasional thoughts wrote:My original post had nothing to do with the merits of the pipeline plan, only to propose a response in kind to the blunt force boycott of B.C. (Okanagan) wine. While a few of our wineries are corporate, most are individual and family owned. They are unfairly targeted in a trade war that isn't even about trade. Premier Horgan can instruct government employees to only fly on AC. Jeez, I haven't seen one post on this thread that comes to the defence of our wineries and vineyards for abing collateral damage in what is a conflict over environmental issues.

The wineries are a business and an investment which can profit or loss just like companies that manufacture equipment or service the oil pipeline industry.

Pipelines are also the safest, most economical and least polluting way to transport fluids from one point to another. In the absence of a pipeline you are looking at trucks, trains, etc. all which have much higher accident rates.

The pipeline is an individual corporate investment, something that produces jobs with little support from any government, so if there is a risk of profit or loss it is borne by the company that is building it. They are also not in the business of spilling oil as it costs them a lot of money for cleaning up, so they damn well make sure it is built to spec and contained.

You can still have a spill as there is the current pipeline to the ocean, there is no remediation plan currently. At least if you build this expansion, you will get additional risk mitigation measures which you currently don't have. That's more than the BC government has done currently.

For those wanting less Albertans in the Kelowna and surrounding areas, remember that bump in property values is because people came here to buy them at higher prices. If they leave, so do the profits in your homes.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Christy Clark and Rachel Notley may be from different Political parties , but they do have something in common. Both are bought and paid for by the big oil companies. Christy got huge donations from those with a stake in the pipeline , and approved it despite the environmental concerns. Had she gone through the proper channels , instead of being bought out , we might not be in the situation that we are right now. West Kelowna just happens to be having a by-election , and just happens to be a big wine hotspot. I can imagine the phone call : " Hi Rachel , it's Christy , I think I know a way we can help each other out here ".............
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

occasional thoughts wrote:Jeez, I haven't seen one post on this thread that comes to the defence of our wineries and vineyards for abing collateral damage in what is a conflict over environmental issues.

Here's one - hey Horgan you bonehead, let the pipeline through, and stop making our wineries pay for your stupidity and greed.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

gordon_as wrote:Christy Clark and Rachel Notley may be from different Political parties , but they do have something in common. Both are bought and paid for by the big oil companies.

This is such a load of crap.

Christy got huge donations from those with a stake in the pipeline , and approved it despite the environmental concerns.

More total crap.

Had she gone through the proper channels , instead of being bought out , we might not be in the situation that we are right now.

and even more crap!! They did go through the "proper channels". The only thing that is going on now is that we are being held hostage by a bunch of un-elected nincompoops desperately clinging to power. It's greed and lust for power by the NDP that is causing this mess. All those who voted NDP in the last election should be hanging their heads in shame right now.

West Kelowna just happens to be having a by-election , and just happens to be a big wine hotspot. I can imagine the phone call : " Hi Rachel , it's Christy , I think I know a way we can help each other out here ".............

Except that no one needed the NDP to look even dumber than they already do on a daily basis for the Liberals to win this riding. It's as safe as Adrian dumbarse Dix's riding in the lower mainland.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I think the Province of BC has this one wrong.

However, I do not agree with boycotting any industry who doesn't have skin in the game. And yes, I understand EVERY industry has skin in the energy game.

However (again) if you wish to punish the government of BC, please stop sending us oil, don't screwed a farmer please.

** Adding this so I am more clear: Boycotting any specific agricultural industry in particular is perversely personally punitive. By doing this you really could wreck a small farmer's livelihood. Instead spread the pain out to all industries quickly by cutting us all off and this will be resolved in a day (with the exception of protest).
Last edited by Osoyoos_Familyof4 on Feb 13th, 2018, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:please stop sending us oil, don't screwed a farmer please.

You do realize that if they stopped sending their oil, we'd all be screwed, including the farmers? How does this not register?

Return to “B.C.”