Get rid of all the schools

Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Get rid of all the schools

Post by Hurtlander »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Quite simply. Parents would have to start doing some parenting. It is the single biggest upside to the whole plan.

What percentage of parents, especially those on the lower socioeconomic scale but not always, would have the skill set to adequately homeschool their children in grades 11 and 12 math, English, science etc..many might even have difficulty homeschooling their children beyond a grade nine level. On this forum alone there’s a great number of people, myself included, that should never in a million years be given the responsibility to teach anyone English..
How many parents do you think are adequately prepared to teach little Johnny to dissect a frog while homeschooling a grade 8 biology lesson..how many parents have a fully equipped shops at home with lathes, drill presses, band saws, welders, CNC milling machines, car hoists etc so they can prepare their mechanically inclined child to become a trades person ?

You didn’t give much thought to your idea.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

What a great idea if you want to build a nation of socially isolated awkward introverts.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

dirtybiker wrote:Guess you don't actually have to deal with young people face to face in the real
world, like outside, or in a store, or Restaurant.

It's painful to watch these people try to function at all, let alone make change.

I think I see a sense of relief flush some faces when going to pay with a card
in the stead of cash.......No math required.

Cashiers are quite often running around taking multiple orders at once, bagging things, answering questions, and possibly doing other things. Is it really so wrong for one to pull out a calculator to make sure you get your exact change?

There's no way the typical parent is intelligent enough to home school kids and or police some kind of online learning curriculum. It simply wouldn't work. A lot of older people and parents who claim to know everything about everything can barely read.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote:Evidence that the BCTF is corrupt?

evidence that they aren't?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Jflem1983 wrote:
CapitalB wrote:To the best of my knowledge canada doesn't really have a school shooting problem, a quick look gives me the number of eleven shootings between 2013 and 1975. We're not america thats not a problem we really have.

I also think that a plan like that would end up with a huge percentage of canadian children being illiterate.

It would force parents to care a little for their children as opposed to lettting the state program the kids.

bad idea , to many crack head parents out there for this to be a good idea
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I guess my main reason this being bad idea is it would just cause an already problem grow much faster, antisocial behaviour.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Dizzy1 wrote:And this is why we can't eliminate education ...

Geuss

Resteraunt

I think I see a sense of relief flush some faces when going to pay with a card
in the stead of cash

Correcting folks on their typos and spelling is often indicator of poor toilet training. And BTW, in your 3rd example, the use of the phrase "in the stead of cash" is perfectly acceptable english. An educated person would have known that...
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Omnitheo wrote:First of all, as an educator I can assure you there is a fairly large difference between teaching remotely and in person in terms of how well students absorb information.

Secondly, school is not just about teaching "the three r's". Children interact with eachother, learn social skills, meet people and make bonds.

Thirdly, and you're probably not aware of this, but most modern families involve two working parents. This means that you would either need to have a large number of people quit their jobs to stay home to look after their kids, or have a massive number of people scrambling for daycare which is already exorbitantly expensive.

Agree.

Maybe we could do away with the Legislature , and Parliament instead. Not sure how interrupting people , pounding your hand on a table , and generally acting like an *bleep* would work online though.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Now a threat at MBSS on west side. Wonder if some of u take me more seriously. Or do our kids have to die before we fire the teachers and take our kids home to a safer environment . Plus save billions . And stop the brainwashing of youth
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Now a threat at MBSS on west side. Wonder if some of u take me more seriously. Or do our kids have to die before we fire the teachers and take our kids home to a safer environment . Plus save billions . And stop the brainwashing of youth

So we can't rely on parents to raise kids and make sure they don't have access to firearms and bring guns to school, but we can rely on them to school and educate their kids to ensure they become a positive part of society.

IMO we need the teachers and we need the school system, but what we also need is parents to also spend time practicing what the teachers have taught with their children.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The problem with parents teaching their children is that will teach them all their bad habits too.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The average parent has been poorly educated and you think it's a good idea for them to teach their children? :200:

Do that for a couple of generations and we will be lucky if our society can talk let alone count past 20!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bsuds wrote:The average parent has been poorly educated and you think it's a good idea for them to teach their children? :200:

Do that for a couple of generations and we will be lucky if our society can talk let alone count past 20!

I am not suggesting we shoot all the educators. Just move it online. Weed out all the union brass. Etc.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “B.C.”