Get rid of all the schools

Mark5
Board Meister

Re: Get rid of all the schools

Post by Mark5 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Move to an online learning environment. Have private tutors. Fire all the teachers. Cut pensions. Axe the bctf. Redevelop all the current school sites.
Hire the best teachers to teach online. Pay them well enough that they need no union.

By doing this we could destroy a corrupt union. Get rid of pesky teachers. Improve our education system . Save billions. Eliminate bullying. Eliminate teach student sexual relations. Eliminate school shootings.

So the real question. Why isnt this happening

I agree. Something is happening at schools that is creating some pretty serious social issues. It has been said that schools breed a type of prison mentality and hierarchy. Schools are used for day care or babysitting though and home schooling would be difficult for many parents. I think a better solution would be to do away with large schools and instead have smaller schools located throughout neighborhoods. This way, there would be more control over students and less chance of alienation and disenfranchised youth. It would be easier to recognize in students and deal with. Teachers have to stop teaching our kids what to think and go back to teaching them how to think as well.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Mark5 wrote: I agree. Something is happening at schools that is creating some pretty serious social issues. It has been said that schools breed a type of prison mentality and hierarchy. Schools are used for day care or babysitting though and home schooling would be difficult for many parents. I think a better solution would be to do away with large schools and instead have smaller schools located throughout neighborhoods. This way, there would be more control over students and less chance of alienation and disenfranchised youth. It would be easier to recognize in students and deal with. Teachers have to stop teaching our kids what to think and go back to teaching them how to think as well.

Yes and no. More schools = more admin and support staff. Smaller cohorts = fewer options for grouping for academics, and fewer subject area offerings in the non-academics. There's a sweet spot between "too big" and "too small".

Bang on about the babysitting/daycare aspect, and I absolutely agree with your last sentence. We need to improve outcomes around critical thinking, ability to question, and motivation.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Socializing has been mentioned by several, as a negative, if education were moved online.

I agree that is a necessary part of child development, but at the same time, I have to ask just how much of that is going on, with every kid glued to a cell phone screen?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:Socializing has been mentioned by several, as a negative, if education were moved online.

I agree that is a necessary part of child development, but at the same time, I have to ask just how much of that is going on, with every kid glued to a cell phone screen?

They're literally using the phones to talk to each other. The devices are socialization tools not anti socialization devices.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CapitalB wrote:
Old Techie wrote:Socializing has been mentioned by several, as a negative, if education were moved online.

They're literally using the phones to talk to each other. The devices are socialization tools not anti socialization devices.

Yeah I suppose, at least when they aren't being utilized to bully or attack others online.

But then again, if you are categorizing that as socializing, that can be done anywhere, and not just at school. The Mall, restaurant, the park, gym, hockey game, concert, etc.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:
Yeah I suppose, at least when they aren't being utilized to bully or attack others online.

But then again, if you are categorizing that as socializing, that can be done anywhere, and not just at school. The Mall, restaurant, the park, gym, hockey game, concert, etc.

Oh absolutely. I don't personally think they should be allowed to be used at school and I'm actually rather surprised phones aren't just banned outright in school. The cyber bullying thing, totally a problem, don't think its related to the devices though. There have always been bullies, unfortunately modern technology allows them easier access to their victims at all hours.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:I've never understood 'cyber bullying'. It's not like the days when I was in school. The school bully whoever that was, would say "I'm gonna kill you after school" and you knew you were going to get into a fight 5 minutes after the bell rang, with lots of people watching as well as school staff placing bets. With cyber bullying... I just don't see any real threat.

Me too. Your age is showing.
Bring back the LIKE button.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

oldtrucker wrote:I've never understood 'cyber bullying'. It's not like the days when I was in school. The school bully whoever that was, would say "I'm gonna kill you after school" and you knew you were going to get into a fight 5 minutes after the bell rang, with lots of people watching as well as school staff placing bets. With cyber bullying... I just don't see any real threat.

That sort of thing is heavily regulated now so the kids just try to ruin their lives socially. At least with physical bullying it more or less happens and then is over. From what I understand (from much younger siblings) the problem with cyber bullying is that if anything compromising happens in your life someone will try to get pictures and share them with the class, and the worst cases of it are paired with physical bullying.

I think the pictures and videos nature of it makes it pretty harmful. The permanency of stuff online means that once some piece of :cuss: gets a picture of something bad or embarrassing it never goes away. You, and me (didn't see internet till late elem school) grew up in a world where our mistakes, embarrassing moments, and worst experiences fade into the background and are forgotten. Now imagine that never happens, and there are clever nasty small people who think its hilarious to use it to ruin your life as often as possible. Seems like a pretty crappy environment.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CapitalB wrote:That sort of thing is heavily regulated now so the kids just try to ruin their lives socially. At least with physical bullying it more or less happens and then is over. From what I understand (from much younger siblings) the problem with cyber bullying is that if anything compromising happens in your life someone will try to get pictures and share them with the class, and the worst cases of it are paired with physical bullying.

I think the pictures and videos nature of it makes it pretty harmful. The permanency of stuff online means that once some piece of :cuss: gets a picture of something bad or embarrassing it never goes away. You, and me (didn't see internet till late elem school) grew up in a world where our mistakes, embarrassing moments, and worst experiences fade into the background and are forgotten. Now imagine that never happens, and there are clever nasty small people who think its hilarious to use it to ruin your life as often as possible. Seems like a pretty crappy environment.

I can assure you that is not true. Public school was a living hell, from start to finish, and all because my name was different for the most part.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Move to an online learning environment. Have private tutors. Fire all the teachers. Cut pensions. Axe the bctf. Redevelop all the current school sites.
Hire the best teachers to teach online. Pay them well enough that they need no union.

By doing this we could destroy a corrupt union. Get rid of pesky teachers. Improve our education system . Save billions. Eliminate bullying. Eliminate teach student sexual relations. Eliminate school shootings.

So the real question. Why isnt this happening

With the development of the I-phone we have already perfected Social Retardation in many of our youth.

School is much more then learning it teaches social skills and I think you will see in time the ill effects of it if you go all on line. If you have ever met home schooled children you will see there is many skills that are lacking!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:

It would force parents to care a little for their children as opposed to lettting the state program the kids.

Parenting, what is that today they both are so busy trying to make a living that they don't have time and or experience to do so. How can you make someone parent?

Good luck with that theory!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

oldtrucker wrote:You are quite young CapitalB. Good thing I'm not in school now. If I were ,and somebody posted whatever about me or my friends, I would probably fall back on 'hanging an old school licking' on them. Very effective.

Very effective at getting you arrested for assault, quicker than you can say oldtrucker. :biggrin:

Times have changed significantly.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

oldtrucker wrote:That's why I wouldn't fit into the new way. It's probably a good thing I'm really, really old and not in school.
I don't know how old you are ,but that's how things were settled when I was in school. No cops unless someone got it real good and ended up in a wheelchair or something like that.
I can remember coming home-just busted up with fat lips, loose teeth etc-just beat to hell sometimes AND my old man would say something ignorant like "Oh...got in a scrap today-eh? Did you win?

Well you had it better than I did then. My old man would take a look at me, then give me a whooping for getting into a fight. :200:
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Interesting. Now threats at KSS . Pretty sad age we are living in. Wish i had the answers
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Deean
Fledgling

Q

Post by Deean »

Keep the schools, get rid of the present curriculum. Politics, Religion, and LGBTQ agendas have no place there. The teachers should actually teach instead of referencing the internet all the time. Cell phones should be banned in the classroom, the kids are there to learn. There you have it, my rant for the day!!

Return to “B.C.”