BC lacks climate policy

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

BC lacks climate policy

Post by rustled »

I'm pleased to see we're finally shifting our attention toward practical matters:
Bellringer says two responses are needed — mitigation by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adaptation by lowering the potential harms and negative impacts climate change may cause.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/218994 ... ate-policy

Perhaps soon we will also get back to focusing on reduction and mitigation (or, better yet, elimination) of particulate pollution and toxic contaminants.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC lacks climate policy

Post by Urbane »

rustled wrote:I'm pleased to see we're finally shifting our attention toward practical matters:
    Bellringer says two responses are needed — mitigation by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adaptation by lowering the potential harms and negative impacts climate change may cause.
    https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/218994 ... ate-policy

Perhaps soon we will also get back to focusing on reduction and mitigation (or, better yet, elimination) of particulate pollution and toxic contaminants.

It seems to be a step in the right direction. Good to see.
csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by csm »

Get a grip - I'm tired of this "sky is falling" mentality of the
"manipulated" ultra liberals. How are a couple of million people suppose to have an impact on anything that over 6 billion don't?

That is simple absurdity!!!

It's just another trumped up reason to not only "Tax" the people to further move the wealth to those with over stuffed bank accounts, but enact more and more and more government control via the sheltered and unelected government "Bureaucrats".

Don't just listen to those "with an agenda" - do some research and dig up some scientific facts on your own.

The whole solar system is going through a climactic change - even pluto is developing a thicker atmosphere, changes on Jupiter, and other planets that even the scientists at NASA can't explain ( or don't want to ).

Stop being a sheep to goverment - stop the control junkies from ruining our lives and stealing what ever we manage to save in our lifetimes.

We are all nothing more than sheep to be herded, controlled and milked. Wake up - 2/3 of what you hear is nothing more than propaganda from state owned news media!!
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Well CSM the general idea is that everybody on earth has to participate in saving it. Also you are the one listening to people with an agenda, the other people have an agenda to keep living on the planet for the next few centuries.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

CapitalB wrote:Well CSM the general idea is that everybody on earth has to participate in saving it. Also you are the one listening to people with an agenda, the other people have an agenda to keep living on the planet for the next few centuries.

Apocalyptic doom!!! Do as I say without questioning because I CARE about the planet, and you DON'T!!!! Such a giant crock.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

British Columbia's auditor general says the provincial government is working to adapt to the risks posed by climate change, but it has no clear plan for wildfires and flooding.

They are working to adapt to the unknown, but have no clear plan for dealing with the inevitable. Sweet.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

So rustled...have YOU crushed your car, dismantled your furnace, reduced your wardrobe to a minimum and are growing your own vegetables and citrus fruit from the rooftop of your 600 sq ft mud hut?
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

Holy crap. Rustled. I just noticed you have over 20,000 posts. Man that's impressive!

It gonna be hard to keep that up when coal fired thermal plants are shut down that make up nearly 80% of the North American grid.

OK. To be fair...my snide comments are not aimed as a personal diss (and to risk the wrath of the Castanet keyboard police) but are intended simply to imply that, as Canadians who are the biggest energy consumers per capital on the planet, we all need to reduce our own output if we really think we can make a difference in a crowd of 7 billion people.

But if anyone who spouts the mainstream "The world will end on Friday cuz I don't drive a shiny hybrid" sheeple mantras took a truth pill washed down with a glass of reality, they would admit outright that, as long as they can afford all the trapping of life as an energy pig...we all would...because we do...still.

Oh, and by the way, so does the rest of the planet beyond the 250 area code.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Y'all aren't payin' attention here.

IMO, the climate's gonna do what the climate's gonna do, and until someone can actually PROVE we CAN make the climate do as we wish by reducing our carbon emissions, that is the position I'm likely to stick to.

With that in mind, I've spent a great deal of time elsewhere pointing out the utter folly (IMO) of deploying resources and destroying the environment and diminishing people's basic standard of living to below reasonable, all to fight carbon emissions in what may well be an utterly futile effort to "control" the climate.

I've also pointed out that there are genuine pollution problems yet to be solved, and precautions to be taken to ensure the impacts of a changing climate (which, as I said, is IMO gonna do what it's gonna do) are minimized, as best we can.

So, let's try this again:

Practical matters. Like:

Quit jacking up the cost of energy so all my neighbours start burning wood in the winter just to stay warm. We live in a city in a first world country in a province blessed with terrific access to CLEAN energy sources, fer cripesakes. These efforts to "control the climate" are causing a ridiculous increase in particulate matter. It's counterproductive and pointless to increase health problems to "fight" the climate.

IMO.

K?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:Holy crap. Rustled. I just noticed you have over 20,000 posts. Man that's impressive!

Over time, I think you’ll find that those who disagree with ‘rustled’ have either misunderstood her (?) message, or are simply wrong.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

^^(Her.) You're very kind, d0nb. I've certainly made my share of mistakes, including a doozie math error last week. And I get that sometimes I'm really not very clear in what I'm trying to say.

BTW: is anyone else seeing that I have over 20,000 posts? I only see about a quarter of that (4786 before I click "submit" here). UhHuhYeahSure may simply have been looking at GB's count, but after those interesting poll numbers last week I wondered if something's gone wonky with the forum's counter?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:^^(Her.) You're very kind, d0nb. I've certainly made my share of mistakes, including a doozie math error last week. And I get that sometimes I'm really not very clear in what I'm trying to say.

BTW: is anyone else seeing that I have over 20,000 posts? I only see about a quarter of that (4786 before I click "submit" here). UhHuhYeahSure may simply have been looking at GB's count, but after those interesting poll numbers last week I wondered if something's gone wonky with the forum's counter?

I see 4,787 posts for you Rustled. You also have more "likes" then posts, which speaks to the quality of your posting, I think.

And I agree with other posters, your posts are almost always right on the money. We may disagree on a few things, but you do your homework and always try to be truthful, unlike some anti-Site C, anti-pipeline boneheads I could name.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

UhHuhYeahSure wrote: as Canadians who are the biggest energy consumers per capital on the planet,

This may be true, but we also have one of the coldest climates on the planet, so doesn't it stand to reason?

we all need to reduce our own output if we really think we can make a difference in a crowd of 7 billion people.

Even if every Canadian living in Canada killed themselves tonight in their sleep, we wouldn't make a difference in a crowd of 7 billion people. I'm not saying "why even try", I'm saying why bankrupt ourselves with idiotic failed policies in the name of "doing something" when we can proceed in a logical fashion that still allows Canadians to enjoy their standard of living that makes us one of the best countries in the world.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

The Green Barbarian wrote: I see 4,787 posts for you Rustled. You also have more "likes" then posts, which speaks to the quality of your posting, I think.

Indeed, a far more impressive stat. Rustled, :up:
hupur
Fledgling

Post by hupur »

Here's my answer to your policy bs.In winter its cold,bundle up,sweaters should be mabdatory,don't go swimming in the lakes ,rivers or oceans.In summer its hotwear a sun hat and use uv protection,drink lots of fluids and enjoy.dont start forest fires dummy other than that mind your own business year round.rediculous policies and taxes on the minions is not going to be tolerated much longer

Return to “B.C.”