B.C. government to build replacement for Pattullo Bridge

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: B.C. government to build replacement for Pattullo Bridge

Post by The Green Barbarian »

gordon_as wrote:
This is the Castanet Forums , so I fully expect to get roasted for offering my personal opinion . Keeping on topic would be a pleasant change though.

I think you made some good points.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Yay this exciting news. The coast gets another new bridge while the rest of the province highways fall behind.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Building a highway costs a lot more than building a bridge. Port Mann Project $ 2 1/2 Billion , of which less than $ 1 Billion was for the bridge itself. The rest was 37 km of roadwork leading up to the bridge.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The replacement of this bridge is long overdue, anyone who has used this bridge knows what I'm talking about. impo it should have been replaced before the Port Mann.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CapitalB wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote: *removed*

*removed*

Also the bennet bridge was 44 million dollars over their original budget.

Well no............... actually the first quote given to the NDP was around $69 million, then they decided to stall, by ordering a study which cost us a few more million (as if we needed to pay for a study, to determine that a sinking bridge needs replacing), and when we finally got it built by the Liberal government, I believe the price tag came out closer to $200 million dollars.

That's what you call prudent planning, on behalf of the NDP.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

gordon_as wrote:Have to admit , I'm not impressed with the plan. Yes , the old bridge needs to be replaced , but I think the design barely addresses current need + some pedestrian and cycle lanes to make a small portion of the population happy. If you are going to undertake a project of this size , why not make it something that accommodates today's needs while preparing for what transportation will likely look like 20 or 50 years down the road.

As for paying for it , I'm actually in favor of tolls , so that the users pay. Not $3.15 per trip tolls though , that becomes cost prohibitive to many people who have to get to work. Port Mann Bridge traffic went up by 25 - 35 % daily when the toll was removed. All of those cars had been driving through Surrey / Delta / New Westminster , causing congestion all the way and burning extra fuel just to avoid the expensive toll. $1 per trip would bring in close to $100,000 per day on just the Pattullo bridge. Add that same $1 toll to the Port Mann , and the Alex Fraser , and these expensive pieces of infrastructure start becoming less of a burden on the rest of the province. The people who would *bleep* the loudest about any toll , probably have a $3 cup of coffee in the center console. A small toll would not be a huge hardship for most , and could lead to increased usage of mass transit.

This is the Castanet Forums , so I fully expect to get roasted for offering my personal opinion . Keeping on topic would be a pleasant change though.

They must be handing out parkas in hell today.

Finally a post I can whole heartedly support. :biggrin:
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:
Well no............... actually the first quote given to the NDP was around $69 million, then they decided to stall, by ordering a study which cost us a few more million (as if we needed to pay for a study, to determine that a sinking bridge needs replacing), and when we finally got it built by the Liberal government, I believe the price tag came out closer to $200 million dollars.

We were just talking about infrastructure project budgets, but hey any chance to bash the NDP. Even if its a wild divergence from the topic at hand.

Regardless of that I honestly can't find a single reference or article online about an original bridge proposal from before 2003. Not saying it didn't happen, I definitely believe your memory here, just mentioning the annoyance of lack of information. It makes discussion really difficult when people keep referring to things I cant find supporting evidence for. I really just hate taking info on good faith.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CapitalB wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

We were just talking about infrastructure project budgets, but hey any chance to bash the NDP. Even if its a wild divergence from the topic at hand.

Regardless of that I honestly can't find a single reference or article online about an original bridge proposal from before 2003. Not saying it didn't happen, I definitely believe your memory here, just mentioning the annoyance of lack of information. It makes discussion really difficult when people keep referring to things I cant find supporting evidence for. I really just hate taking info on good faith.

Since you appear to be struggling with accepting responses to statements you posted, perhaps reconsider what you post, or add a note at the bottom that you don't want replies.

I gave you a valid example, of how a bridge deal begun by the NDP, turned out for us up here. Not much reason to expect awesome results from them somewhere else, and even less so, when we know their penchant for demanding public projects be unionized.

I'm sorry you couldn't find supporting data, but I lived here and recall what transpired very well, plus I'm sure some others could verify as well. This is exactly the kind of thing the NDP relies on, as they hope people will forget their past screw ups and view them in a positive light, scratch that, they count on people forgetting.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

We will see how long it is comitted to be built. The NDP and the tree huggers time is limited. One by election lost to the Liberals and they are gone. I hope it happens soon.

Return to “B.C.”