Ben Stewart

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Ben Stewart

Post by XT225 »

rustled wrote:
It shouldn't surprise anyone that Stewart is working on behalf of his constituents, the BC wine industry, the BC economy, and British Columbians in general.

Gee......doesn't ol Ben have a tiny interest in a Winery or two in BC? He is working on behalf of himself and his business! A bit of a conflict of interest, perhaps? He should keep his mouth shut at present.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

JagXKR wrote:
Veovis wrote:
On the bright side they did cut MSP...wait that was a BCLIB item, but they balanced the budget....wait that was a BCLib budget.....interesting.

They also replaced the Pattullo Bridge...wait that was a Translink project that was just looking for the dollars, they have employed many people by...well committee people actually...or lawyers for the upcoming eco terrorist battles, etc . It will never stop while they are in power.
Ben has always wanted what's best for his riding and BC. One of the real good ones and there is not a single NDG that is even close.

Well, I guess we'll never know because the whole Okanagan Valley has been electing Soced/BCLP since the Wacky Bennett days, when he put the first 4-lane highway there.......all half-dozen miles of it. :biggrin:
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

XT225 wrote:Gee......doesn't ol Ben have a tiny interest in a Winery or two in BC? He is working on behalf of himself and his business! A bit of a conflict of interest, perhaps? He should keep his mouth shut at present.

Actually it makes him uniquely qualified to debate the issue. You see the point isn't to actually appoint the absolute worst possible candidate to a position.

As an MLA he has experience.

As a private citizen I hope he files a few lawsuits against the NDP representatives as it is becoming clear this is a repercussion of a personal faith and desire item and not as an activity as a government official on behalf of the the people of BC......that's simply the position he abused in these actions.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

JagXKR wrote:
Veovis wrote:
On the bright side they did cut MSP...wait that was a BCLIB item, but they balanced the budget....wait that was a BCLib budget.....interesting.

They also replaced the Pattullo Bridge...wait that was a Translink project that was just looking for the dollars, they have employed many people by...well committee people actually...or lawyers for the upcoming eco terrorist battles, etc . It will never stop while they are in power.
Ben has always wanted what's best for his riding and BC. One of the real good ones and there is not a single NDG that is even close.

Actually even the dollars were already there, at least up until the NDP removed bridge tolls, and by doing so, messed up the funding plans.

Edited to fix grammatical error
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Feb 19th, 2018, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

XT225 wrote:
rustled wrote:
It shouldn't surprise anyone that Stewart is working on behalf of his constituents, the BC wine industry, the BC economy, and British Columbians in general.

Gee......doesn't ol Ben have a tiny interest in a Winery or two in BC? He is working on behalf of himself and his business! A bit of a conflict of interest, perhaps? He should keep his mouth shut at present.

Of course he does, and yes, his winery is probably among those adversely affected by the trade war. You can probably find out whether or not this is the case and how much his family is likely to lose, if that's truly what's most important to you.

Heyman has yet to be told to shut up over his obvious conflict of interest (and he's in a ministerial role), so it's interesting to see the suggestion here that Stewart should shut up.

Keeping his mouth shut isn't really an option since he has, after all, been elected to represent a great many others as well. And I'm sure you'd agree those others do deserve representation. Perhaps you'd be more comfortable if he commissioned a study to make it appear he's doing something while delaying resolution until the whole problem (hopefully) just goes away?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:Well, I guess we'll never know because the whole Okanagan Valley has been electing Soced/BCLP since the Wacky Bennett days, when he put the first 4-lane highway there.......all half-dozen miles of it. :biggrin:
The reason that the NDP has lost five elections in a row, and has won only three elections in history, is because most people are more in line with the people you denigrate than they are with the party on the left/far left. The CCF/NDP opposed the dams that were built by WAC Bennett on the Columbia and Peace but how many people today regret that those dams were built? His government created the University of Victoria and Simon Fraser University. Expansions were made to the UBC campus as well. Moving ahead to more recent times, and the Liberal governments, we saw the creation of UNBC and UBC Okanagan.

We also saw medical schools established at those two universities. There were lots of other great projects initiated by WAC Bennett and his free enterprise successors as well. So when voters elected Ben Stewart in the by-election they did so with that legacy in mind as they contrasted it with the party of no, the party that ran the province into the ground economically during the 1990's. There are no perfect parties and no perfect candidates out there but Ben Stewart, by far, was the best candidate available representing the best party available.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Veovis wrote:
XT225 wrote:Gee......doesn't ol Ben have a tiny interest in a Winery or two in BC? He is working on behalf of himself and his business! A bit of a conflict of interest, perhaps? He should keep his mouth shut at present.

Actually it makes him uniquely qualified to debate the issue. You see the point isn't to actually appoint the absolute worst possible candidate to a position.

As a private citizen I hope he files a few lawsuits against the NDP representatives as it is becoming clear this is a repercussion of a personal faith and desire item and not as an activity as a government official on behalf of the the people of BC......that's simply the position he abused in these actions.

When it comes to remarks about "conflict of interest" perhaps the enviro-nuts need reminding that George Heyman is known to be conspiring with foreign interests, in a plan to undermine Canadian resource development.

Now that would be defined as a great example of conflict of interest, given George's personal agenda, and not in any way beneficial for Canada.

By contrast, Ben Stewart works for the betterment, of the whole wine industry that we have, and has been instrumental in increasing sales to Asia.

In this example his background is a plus, given that he understands the industry, and all are benefiting from his work, not simply himself.

Were it up to the NDP, now they'd appoint some former public servant or such, that couldn't tell the difference between a grape and a blueberry, to a position representing agricultural interests.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Feb 19th, 2018, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Old Techie wrote:
When it comes to remarks about "conflict of interest" perhaps the enviro-nuts need reminding that George Heyman is known to be conspiring with foreign interests, in a plan to undermine Canadian resource development.

Now that would be defined as a great example of conflict of interest, given George's personal agenda, and not in any way beneficial for Canada.

By contrast, Ben Stewart works for the betterment, of the whole wine industry that we have, and has been instrumental in increasing sales to Asia.

In this example his background is a plus, given that he understands the industry, and all are benefiting from his work, not simply himself.

You are correct re George Heyman; he should keep quiet as well, if there is any conflict to his business. Ben commented back when he stepped down that he wanted to concentrate more on his business and family life. Wise move, however the truth be told, he only did it to let Crusty Clark into an easy win riding. No use for him, sorry.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Old Techie wrote:When it comes to remarks about "conflict of interest" perhaps the enviro-nuts need reminding that George Heyman is known to be conspiring with foreign interests, in a plan to undermine Canadian resource development.

Haven't heard of that news, and your post doesn't have enough details to turn one up on google. Can you link to where you heard that I'd like to have a read? (thanks :))

Also on the original topic, I don't necessarily think stewart owning a winery should have any bearing on current trade matters as far as conflicts of interest go. A conflict of interest would be if he gave himself a government contract to supply all wine at government functions.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Ben did what he did for the best interests of the Liberal party, at the time he stepped down for Clark.

The NDP could learn a lesson from that, but hey, they are far more about sharpening the knife they plan to embed in their leader's back.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Veovis wrote:

Well, here it is again, folks.......the old BCLP double standard. They think it's okay for Stewart to stick his nose into the wine dispute, but it's not okay for Heyman to tell people why he's against KMX.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:Ben did what he did for the best interests of the Liberal party, at the time he stepped down for Clark.

Well at least one Liberal supporter is willing to tell it as it is. He did it for his party, not for his riding, not for his province, but for his party. Don't worry, we all already knew this, just some Liberal supporters like to pretend that it was for more noble purposes.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

CapitalB wrote:
Also on the original topic, I don't necessarily think stewart owning a winery should have any bearing on current trade matters as far as conflicts of interest go. A conflict of interest would be if he gave himself a government contract to supply all wine at government functions.

I disagree. Any politician who gets involved in discussions where their own business could benefit from the outcome, should not do so. Goes for Heyman as well; anyone involved in the Wine Industry and is also a politician.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

CapitalB wrote:
Old Techie wrote:When it comes to remarks about "conflict of interest" perhaps the enviro-nuts need reminding that George Heyman is known to be conspiring with foreign interests, in a plan to undermine Canadian resource development.

Haven't heard of that news, and your post doesn't have enough details to turn one up on google. Can you link to where you heard that I'd like to have a read? (thanks :))

Heyman is a former executive director of the Sierra Club. When representing British Columbians as minister, it seems unlikely to most of us he would be able to set aside his longstanding personal biases. He is still very much involved with high-rolling environmentalists. As I recall, he was dining with several of them on the day he made the announcement that started the trade war.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

XT225 wrote:I disagree. Any politician who gets involved in discussions where their own business could benefit from the outcome, should not do so. Goes for Heyman as well; anyone involved in the Wine Industry and is also a politician.

I'm ok with discussing as long as no legislating is going on from said people.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “B.C.”