Budget 2018

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Budget 2018

Post by JagXKR »

This is too funny for words. The analogy of the NDG budget and a fairy tale is so apropos. The jokes write themselves.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/219298 ... story-time
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Veovis
Guru

Re: Budget 2018

Post by Veovis »

Skipping a "traditional?" shoe shopping trip to announce a budget to read to kids? Good for her, weird tradition really if that's the case.

I am interested in what tomorrow will bring, however my concern grows fast with comments like this

"I think, as you saw in the story, no matter what, it'll all be good in the end," James told reporters attending her pre-budget news conference.

It sends a foreshadowing type of ominous worry, that tells me, that have likely massively overspent, and will try to find excuse for behavior, and others will again applaud bad actions for immediate pretend feelings.

"No matter what happens it will be good in the end" is politic for "it may be rape now but you'll love the kid it made later"

No folks we wont, please make a relationship with the province, not the standard assaults with excuses saying we were "asking for it" or "needed it"

Create a real budget. Please. I actual think Carol James is a decent politician. I hope she actually has something decent coming tomorrow, I really do, but with the actions so far, I just have my fears she is being hung out to dry and told to tell people it's somehow in their best interest....else then knife her in the back again.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

JagXKR wrote:This is too funny for words. The analogy of the NDG budget and a fairy tale is so apropos. The jokes write themselves.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/219298 ... story-time

Ms. James pre-budget point of reading a story to pre-schoolers went right over your head. Why am I not surprised?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 20th, 2018, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Hey she felt right at home talking to 3 and 4 year old minds. She thought she was speaking to a group of NDP followers.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I wonder if the budget will come out with pictures in it too? Just so the Horgan can understand it better.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Probably an absolute necessity for most of the NDP caucus. Possibly an explanation of "budget" should be included.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
Ms. James pre-budget point of reading a story to pre-schoolers went right over your head. Why am I not surprised?

The NDP are below pre-schoolers when it comes to IQ. Why am I not surprised?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Smurf wrote:Hey she felt right at home talking to 3 and 4 year old minds. She thought she was speaking to a group of NDP followers.

Have to start indoctrinating the new generation of GreenDP automatons early ya know.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Smurf wrote:Hey she felt right at home talking to 3 and 4 year old minds. She thought she was speaking to a group of NDP followers.

that's a pretty big insult to 3 and 4 year olds.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:-X :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Looks like it's time for an adult discussion on this topic instead of the usual NDP-bashing:
After reading about yet another disgusting BCLP cut-back to B.C.'s health care system, I'm hoping that Ms. James will address this unacceptable situation in today's budget.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4514289
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

B.C. budget 2018: top 8 things to look for

Online Journalist based at B.C. Legislature
Global News

The BC NDP government will introduce its first provincial budget since 2001 on Tuesday afternoon.

One of the biggest challenges will be meeting people’s high expectations. Here are eight items to look for in the budget:

Speculation tax
A two-per-cent tax on speculative real estate investment in B.C. was a signature promise by the NDP in the 2017 election platform.

Finance Minister Carole James has alluded to bringing in the new tax as part of the province’s suite of policies to address housing affordability. The speculation tax would likely target homebuyers who are using properties as investments and not living in them.

“We see the results of speculation in all parts of our province — distorted markets, sky-high prices and empty homes,” read the Speech from the Throne. “Too many British Columbians are paying the price.”

Child care spaces
When B.C.’s finance minister did her traditional pre-budget press conference on Monday, she did it at a daycare.

That alone is a pretty significant sign that the government plans to invest heavily in child care support for parents in Tuesday’s budget.

The government will not introduce a $10-a-day child care plan (that’s a 10-year plan) but will have immediate financial support for parents.

“This really is a program for today. It is a program for British Columbia. It will be a program that fits the needs parents, communities and businesses today,” James said. “People, that really is the theme.”

Fire costs
It was the most expensive fire season in B.C.’s history, costing the province more than half a billion dollars.

With wildfires becoming the new reality in the province, the BC NDP will need to account for a fire season that was more expensive than the province had budgeted for, and provide more money in the budget for possible fires in the coming years.

Eliminate interest on student loans
The province has already pitched in $10 million toward the goal of eliminating interest on student loans and providing every post-secondary student a $1,000 completion grant once they graduate.

“I would like to recap what we did the first 16 days we were in government, we reduced interest on provincial student loans by 2.5 per cent and it came with a $10 million commitment,” said Advanced Education Minister Melanie Mark.
“We are going to get there.”

MSP cuts
One of the first things the BC NDP did in government was cut Medical Services Plan (MSP) premiums in half, a promise that the previous Liberal government made but did not put in place before the election.

The new government has promised to eliminate the premiums before the end of its mandate, which means further reductions to MSP could come in Tuesday’s budget.

Cannabis costs
Legal marijuana is coming and now the B.C. government has to pay for it. Expect money in the upcoming budget for enforcement and education around legalizing the recreational use of the drug.

READ MORE: B.C.’s legal marijuana rules: possession limit, growing at home and drug-impaired driving

School playground funding
Education will take up a big part of the budget.

That means more money for teachers to address class size and composition rules, new seismic upgrades and funding to build schools to phase out portable.

The B.C. government has promised to fund 50 new seismic projects over the next 18 months. On top of that, the province has also promised funding for a playground capital fund, which would take away the need for parents and advisory councils to fundraise for school playgrounds.

Health care spending
It may not be flashy, but the most expensive item in Tuesday’s budget will be health care.

Routinely, spending on health care jumps $500 million per year and 2018 isn’t expected to be any different.

The BC NDP has promised to reduce surgical wait times, fund family urgent care centres and, on top of that, build new hospitals. Of all the things that can be predicted in a budget, one thing is for sure, health care will cost lots of money.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4034379/bc-b ... -look-for/
Bring back the LIKE button.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Cactusflower wrote:Looks like it's time for an adult discussion on this topic instead of the usual NDP-bashing:
After reading about yet another disgusting BCLP cut-back to B.C.'s health care system, I'm hoping that Ms. James will address this unacceptable situation in today's budget.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4514289

if there is no staff there is no staff. Perhaps if immigration was better supported and we properly recognized foreign credentials (federal issues) then we wouldn't have this problem
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Cactusflower wrote:Looks like it's time for an adult discussion on this topic instead of the usual NDP-bashing:
After reading about yet another disgusting BCLP cut-back

Oh, so only BC Liberal bashing is allowed? Gotcha.

Return to “B.C.”