Budget 2018

Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Budget 2018

Post by Muzza »

You guys are all doom and gloom but tax increases that go after the wealthy are more akin to the roosevelt style policies that made america one of the most powerful countries on the planet.

What you have to understand that it is a different world in which we live. People are far more mobile. I am already planning on leaving Canada within a couple of years as I don't like the way things are going. I have worked incredibly hard to gain wealth. The last year for example, my girlfriend and I have been working to create 2 new businesses. We have been working 7 days a week and up to 18 hours a day with no pay whatsoever to create these businesses. They are now starting to generate income. I have invested (risked) close to $100,000 of my money. My software business is the same. Lots of work for no pay to create something that will pay off for me. Same for my rental properties. My son and I worked together to create very nice rental units, that I am charging less than market rates for as I found awesome tenants who need a bit of help.

The taxes these business will contribute will help many people, but if I feel that I am over taxed, I am not staying in Canada. We will run these companies from somewhere else.

Before people jump all over me, I am happy to pay a reasonable amount of tax. In fact, I am prepared to pay more that what I think is reasonable. However, if the tax load becomes too great, I will leave. This is what is happening now. Every time I turn around, the government wants more.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Well, now this foreign buyers tax is going to include all Canadians as well.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/br ... e38061593/

Imagine that. The BC NDP consider all Canadians East of the Rockies as foreign investors. Way to go NDP! Province killing party if there ever was one.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

CapitalB wrote:You guys are all doom and gloom but tax increases that go after the wealthy are more akin to the roosevelt style policies that made america one of the most powerful countries on the planet. But sure hyperbolize away, call it communism, say its attacking the hard done by working rich people. Like someone with a multi million dollar vacation home is a regular working stiff. You guys aren't disenfranchised rich people about to hit the big time, we're all regular people and for most of the people here (this subreddit) I'm sure you won't be overly effected by anything in this budget. Keep defending the super rich though, I'm sure they'll have your back when the chips are down.

Also property, especially vacation property is all about location, and equity value. I really don't think those two factors are going to take a huge hit because of this.

For many of us this “speculation tax” is just the tip of the iceberg. For now this new tax will only be applied to a few select locations, what’s to stop the government from placing this new speculation tax on all recreational properties in the entire province not owned by British Columbians during their next budget. There’s many thousands of small recreational cabins on virtually every lake in the entire province owned by Canadians from outside of BC. For the most part these are not wealthy people, they’re usually regular blue collar workers who’ve more often than not pooled their money together with other family members so they could have the luxury of owning a small cabin on a small lake so they can swim, fish or hunt. These people contribute a huge amount to the local economies of the surrounding communities.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The new tax won't just hurt some businesses. It will also serve as a backdoor tax on those "average British Columbians" we keep hearing so much about. Perhaps I've missed an answer or two but I've yet to read a response to my question on this topic. Essentially, I asked those who had supported folding the MSP premiums into the income tax if Horgan had changed their minds.

Small business owners in British Columbia say a new health-care payroll tax will result in higher prices for consumers as companies struggle to absorb the cost.
Full article: https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219554
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:The new tax won't just hurt some businesses. It will also serve as a backdoor tax on those "average British Columbians" we keep hearing so much about. Perhaps I've missed an answer or two but I've yet to read a response to my question on this topic. Essentially, I asked those who had supported folding the MSP premiums into the income tax if Horgan had changed their minds.

Small business owners in British Columbia say a new health-care payroll tax will result in higher prices for consumers as companies struggle to absorb the cost.
Full article: https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219554

When the dust settles, the result will be some business simply won't locate in BC, most small business will pass the costs on to their customers, so at the end of the day, we citizens of BC are well on our way to having less disposable income in our pockets, just as happened in the 90's, with the last NDP tax and spend strategy.

Don't you wish just once they would learn something from their mistakes?

They still muddle their way through life, firmly believing that there is a free lunch.

Don't you just hate it, when your worst fears come true, and in record time yet?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

On Tuesday's lunchtime Cbc Vancouver radio show the budget was being discussed. One of the phone-in audience was a man who owns an oil field related business here in B.C. that employs 40 in well paying jobs.

When asked his opinion of the budget contents he said he was throwing in the towel, just too much hassle for too little reward; that he was sick of governmental interference from over taxing and forever meddling causing endless headaches. The budget was the last straw. So, there goes 41 jobs.

While listening to him "Atlas Shrugged" came to mind wherein industrialists simply gave up the fight against government stupidity and all the work arounds just to keep their industries going. That book pretty much foretold this scenario.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

I think the book should be 'Trudeau Shrugged'.

There is no way he is going to come clean on this one.

And is at risk to lose Liberal seats in B.C.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Catsumi wrote:On Tuesday's lunchtime Cbc Vancouver radio show the budget was being discussed. One of the phone-in audience was a man who owns an oil field related business here in B.C. that employs 40 in well paying jobs.

When asked his opinion of the budget contents he said he was throwing in the towel, just too much hassle for too little reward; that he was sick of governmental interference from over taxing and forever meddling causing endless headaches. The budget was the last straw. So, there goes 41 jobs.

While listening to him "Atlas Shrugged" came to mind wherein industrialists simply gave up the fight against government stupidity and all the work arounds just to keep their industries going. That book pretty much foretold this scenario.

I listened to that as well, Just doesn't make sense.
I have a friend that has an oilfield rental company in Dawson Creek and was talking to him today. He is moving his company to Alberta and going to continue to operate in BC/Alberta as he has for the last 15 years. Only difference is now Alberta gets the provincial taxes.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jhunter199 wrote:
Catsumi wrote:On Tuesday's lunchtime Cbc Vancouver radio show the budget was being discussed. One of the phone-in audience was a man who owns an oil field related business here in B.C. that employs 40 in well paying jobs.

I listened to that as well, Just doesn't make sense.
I have a friend that has an oilfield rental company in Dawson Creek and was talking to him today. He is moving his company to Alberta and going to continue to operate in BC/Alberta as he has for the last 15 years. Only difference is now Alberta gets the provincial taxes.

Ssssssssh......... don't tell that to the resident NDP worshipers. I said the other day the budget would drive business away, and they'd shut down, or simply not come to BC, but hey they don't believe a word of it.

It's going to be interesting to see how much of a shortfall the NDP's first budget in 16yrs suffers, given that their projections simply won't pan out. You can't collect tax from something that no longer exists, thanks to the NDP "get them" mantra.

edited for spelling
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Feb 23rd, 2018, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

George+ wrote:I think the book should be 'Trudeau Shrugged'.

There is no way he is going to come clean on this one.

And is at risk to lose Liberal seats in B.C.

I think you are right George. The Conservatives should see strong gains next election at the expense of both the NDP and the Liberals, a lot of which will be related to the weak-kneed federal response and of course, the brain-dead actions of the provincial NDP. Let's hope this is the beginning of the end for the NDP as a party. What a glorious day that will be.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here’s the risk for the new government: In their quest to make life more affordable for working people, they could trigger unintended consequences.

“When you hit the small-business community with an additional payroll tax, there’s only two things they can do: Hire fewer people or don’t give raises to the existing ones they have,” Black said.

That didn’t seem to worry James, as she laid out a three-year budget plan predicting steady economic growth through 2021.

But while the budget hyped lots of new spending on social programs (especially child care and housing) and lots of new taxes to pay for it, there was a glaring lack of attention on the province’s foundational industries.

James delivered a budget presentation at the Victoria Conference Centre, and then a budget speech in the legislature, that completely ignored forestry, mining, oil-and-gas development, fishing, aquaculture and energy generation.

There was not even a single mention of any of these lifeblood B.C. industries. Not one. That’s pretty shocking.

By focusing solely on social spending and raising taxes, the NDP runs the risk of further alienating the rural north, interior and coast of B.C., where unfairly snubbed resource industries make the lavish spending possible

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics ... ndp-budget
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.desmog.ca/2018/02/22/site-c ... c-s-budget
Rather than continue to dwell on the foreign buyers tax, perhaps we should consider what WASN'T in the budget speech? There will always be those BC Liberal devotees who will never read anything in what they perceive to be 'left-wing rags', but for those of you with open minds, this is a very interesting article.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Again from the PR firm Desmog.

‘We’re all about PR here, not much about science’
In a 2013 article at Watts Up With That titled “The Effects Of Environmentalist and Climate Alarmist Crying Wolf Begin To Appear,” Canadian climate scientist Tim Ball wrote about James Hoggan:

http://leftexposed.org/2016/08/desmogblog/#all about PR here
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.desmog.ca/2018/02/22/site-c-elephant-b-c-s-budget

LOL - more US funded propaganda. Will it never stop.

Return to “B.C.”