Budget 2018

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Budget 2018

Post by alanjh595 »

The Budget 2018 - Will be available here as soon as the Minister of Finance stands in the House to deliver the Budget Speech (approximately 1:30 pm) on Budget Day,
Tuesday, February 20, 2018.

http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/default.htm
Bring back the LIKE button.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Cactusflower wrote:Looks like it's time for an adult discussion on this topic instead of the usual NDP-bashing:
After reading about yet another disgusting BCLP cut-back to B.C.'s health care system, I'm hoping that Ms. James will address this unacceptable situation in today's budget.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4514289

Not a cutback, and certainly not even a remotely adult comment on the actual realities of the health system that exist.

However in a few hours maybe there will be something to talk about, actually there will most certainly be something to talk about. I wish Carol the best of luck, but I don't hold up much hope for a decent one, to many unrealistic wish lists pressing her.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Jx3 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Looks like it's time for an adult discussion on this topic instead of the usual NDP-bashing:
After reading about yet another disgusting BCLP cut-back

Oh, so only BC Liberal bashing is allowed? Gotcha.

DESERVED BC Liberal-bashing. One must learn to recognize the difference.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Cactusflower wrote:DESERVED BC Liberal-bashing. One must learn to recognize the difference.

OH, so complete hypocrisy then. Gotcha. You're one of those that says racism is totally ok as long as you think it's DESERVED racism right? So glad you popped in with your "adult" comments.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Is there betting allowed on Castanet? I kid

But I figured someone would set the over/under speculation on deficit size.

500 million set in the middle? Over? Under? 2 billion deficit? Where's the line folks. Couple hours to place your guess.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
DESERVED BC Liberal-bashing. One must learn to recognize the difference.

LOL - the delusions never cease.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Veovis wrote:Is there betting allowed on Castanet? I kid

But I figured someone would set the over/under speculation on deficit size.

500 million set in the middle? Over? Under? 2 billion deficit? Where's the line folks. Couple hours to place your guess.

Just a wild guess: $375 million deficit.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

$2b. (or not $2b. JK.)
$2b.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Heres a live stream

Have fun. Get your popcorn
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Did I hear this correctly. $5.5 billion in new taxes????
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The money will flow because there is no time to lose

/sigh cringe NDP in full force. They need to hire better writers.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because the most powerful governments on the planet just debt launder anyway. Plus spending on kids is never a bad investment, money into the future, just like putting it in the bank.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Code: Select all

The B.C. government is introducing a new speculation tax on residential properties in an attempt to deal with the ongoing housing affordability crisis in the province. The tax will be .5 per cent in the first year, and go up to 2 per cent in 2019. It is expected to bring in $87 million in first year and $200 million dollars next year.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

There are still details missing on the new tax, but it will apply to homes in Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Capital and Nanaimo Regional Districts and Kelowna and West Kelowna. New legislation will be presented this spring, and will target home owners who do not pay income tax in British Columbia, with exemptions available for principal residences and long-term rentals.

The province is also increasing and expanding the foreign buyers tax. Starting on Wednesday, the tax will go up to 20 per cent, from 15 per cent, and will now be applied to houses in the Capital Regional District, the Fraser Valley, the Central Okanagan and the Nanaimo Regional District on top of the existing tax in Metro Vancouver.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Additional housing measures include targeting residential properties valued at over $3 million, increasing the property transfer tax on those homes from three to five per cent plus increasing the school tax on those homes.

The province has also pledged to spend $1.6 billion on new housing units over the next three years, review the Home Owner Grant to include renters and close loopholes that allow for hidden home ownership and flipping pre-sale condos.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

But there are concerns that there is nothing in the budget to require municipalities to approve housing projects more quickly.

“I think the main point is they bring in enormous amount of tax measures but I don’t see it addressing affordability,” Anne McMullen, Urban Development Institute. “There was nothing in the budget that compelled or incentivized municipalities to approve these projects.”

Return to “B.C.”