Budget 2018

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Budget 2018

Post by hobbyguy »

The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Oh no the poor rich people what ever will they do.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

CapitalB wrote:

Well for one thing they spend a lot of money here, thus I'm of the opinion it would be foolish to tick them off.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

CapitalB wrote:

Why do some people seem to have a hate on for the people that work hard to get the things they want in life?
Or are they just jealous?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

CapitalB wrote:

That's a very myopic view. They will not spend their money here and provide jobs for BC folks who depend on the tourism industry. Ontario tried such a stunt in the 1970's and had to repeal it... and it was the same government that repealed it, realizing that it was not a smart move at all.

A speculation tax needs to be a speculation tax, not a tax on Canadians who legitimately own property for vacation homes or snow birding etc.

This is a haywire idea that came from the disgraced BC NDP junior varsity and was pushed by Mr. useless Gregor Robertson.

The experts say that it could be made to work, but only if there is an offsetting income tax revenue neutrality. Bill Morneau has called careful discussions with the provinces to see if a revenue neutral speculation tax could work, but no conclusions as far I know. Without the feds on board, no chance. The BC NDP have rashly jumped the gun on this, and will wind up with all kinds of unintended consequences.

Carole James misses the mark completely when she intimates that these folks should just rent them out. It is their property and the BC NDP politburo has no right to force people to rent out their property if they do not choose to do so, and besides the "housing is right" protest group that the BC NDP are pandering to don't have two nickels to rub together for rent. The average working person isn't going to be able to afford the rent on those homes anyway.

This is a short sighted move to give the appearance of doing something, when it fact it is just desperation and a refusal to accept the maturing of the metropolitan markets and try to cover up the failings of the junior varsity BC NDP. It will do nothing for housing affordability at the level of affordability for the target demographic that the BC NDP pretend to be doing something for.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

The next thing will be if you go away in the winter and leave your home empty for a time.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

CapitalB wrote:

They won't be providing jobs for people who really need them in the tourism and hospitality industries, that's for sure. As expected, another ill-thought out economic policy from the NDP ends up harming low income people the most. Why does the NDP hate poor people so much? Why is the HorgaNDP so STUPID?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

CapitalB wrote:Oh no the poor rich people what ever will they do.
Sell and not come here.

So whatever former tax they paid is gone, plus any spending money distributed.

Happy now?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

CapitalB wrote:

Reading this I could feel the distaste for this government grow. What a mean spirited thing to do. Can't wait for them to go back to opposition where they belong. An ill thought out idea and attack on those that have the skill set to make money to pay for the NDG lower mainland efforts to provide housing to those that demand to live in one of the most expensive jurisdictions in North America.

What a completely ignorant statement. Although not wealthy, you are attacking my getting up at 5 putting in 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week to pay the mortgages off and afford a car. Live comfortably. Can't really say what I want as it would be edited...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

This certainly isn’t very well thought out, it’s actually really stupid. By imposing this tax on recreational property in the municipalities of Kelowna and West Kelowna, families from Alberta will now be investing in Penticton or Vernon or the Shuswap for their new summer recreational properties.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

flamingfingers wrote:Well, if you have a business with a payroll just over $500,000, your 'employer health tax' for the year would be less than $5,000.

Yes, a far cry from the $50,000 I'd erroneously estimated, which is a relief.

Still, as I said: Blow by blow, death by a thousand cuts. This is what seems to escape those who want the business owners to take responsibility for everything. Every employer in the province is facing increased costs related to the minimum wage hike and the compounding additional costs associated with the carbon tax hike, and now those who didn't previously provide MSP as part of the pay packet are shouldering this responsibility as well.

They'd best act quickly to fix the MSP tax/MSP premium overlap, as that may prove to be the unkindest cut of all.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

CapitalB wrote:

said Chavez in 1999 as billions of dollars of investment capital fled Venezuela. Great strategy all right.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

You guys are all doom and gloom but tax increases that go after the wealthy are more akin to the roosevelt style policies that made america one of the most powerful countries on the planet. But sure hyperbolize away, call it communism, say its attacking the hard done by working rich people. Like someone with a multi million dollar vacation home is a regular working stiff. You guys aren't disenfranchised rich people about to hit the big time, we're all regular people and for most of the people here (this subreddit (EDIT: FORUM) I'm sure you won't be overly effected by anything in this budget. Keep defending the super rich though, I'm sure they'll have your back when the chips are down.

Also property, especially vacation property is all about location, and equity value. I really don't think those two factors are going to take a huge hit because of this.
Last edited by CapitalB on Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

CapitalB wrote:You guys are all doom and gloom but tax increases that go after the wealthy are more akin to the roosevelt style policies that made america one of the most powerful countries on the planet. .

Or, to pick a more relevant and more recent example, akin to the Chavez style policies that made Venezuela one of the poorest countries on the planet.

. Keep defending the super rich though, I'm sure they'll have your back when the chips are down.

The naivete of this statement is just blinding. Who taught you to be this binary? Was it one of your profs? As always, the "super-rich" will be just fine. They always are. When the going gets tough, they just leave, as they have the ability to do so. Look at Gerard Depardieu, fishing buddy of Castro's and communist mouth-piece, but as soon as the French wanted to take 75% of his income away in taxes, he was gone to Belgium. Pure hypocrite, like all guys like that are.

So as I said, it's not the "super rich" anyone is worried about here. It's the people who go out there every day and bust their guts to fight it out on a global scale to produce products and create jobs. Every time our government does something stupid like burdening them with more taxes, it's just one more issue that these people have to deal with. And less money for growth, expansion and for hiring people. There are always consequences to bad policies, and the NDP are the kings of unintended consequences.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”