Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 24th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Never mind, boys. You're never going to get the point, so just fuggedaboudit.


Oh we get the point. China bad. Unless they produce wind turbines and sell them to us, taking our taxpayer dollars. Then they are totally cool.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys

2 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27666
Likes: 11790 posts
Liked in: 15620 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Snman » Feb 24th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Smurf wrote:CF you do realize that Anbang Insurance Group which owns the retirement homes is a Chinese company don't you. You did read your own reference didn't you. All the Chinese Government did was take over a Chinese company.


Never mind, boys. You're never going to get the point, so just fuggedaboudit.


I got your point CF, but there was another valid point made also.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates

rustled likes this post.
Snman
Übergod
 
Posts: 1011
Likes: 1066 posts
Liked in: 735 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 6:27 am

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 24th, 2018, 11:14 pm

Snman wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
Never mind, boys. You're never going to get the point, so just fuggedaboudit.


I got your point CF, but there was another valid point made also.


Sorry, I've been away from my computer (made of wood and whatever). :biggrin: What was the other valid point?

Snman likes this post.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3411
Likes: 1615 posts
Liked in: 716 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Jhunter199 » Feb 24th, 2018, 11:20 pm

I think the point was that the Chinese Gov't stepped in and took over another Chinese Corporation, that coincidentally had Canadian holding companies.

Snman likes this post.
Jhunter199
Fledgling
 
Posts: 289
Likes: 257 posts
Liked in: 341 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 24th, 2018, 11:28 pm

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/02/07/aeco ... mpetition/
Maybe this link will explain my point. The other point that was made bothers me, and I don't understand why y'all are so blase about it.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3411
Likes: 1615 posts
Liked in: 716 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 24th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/02/07/aecon-takeover-sale-china-unfair-competition/
Maybe this link will explain my point. The other point that was made bothers me, and I don't understand why y'all are so blase about it.


What other point?
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27666
Likes: 11790 posts
Liked in: 15620 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 25th, 2018, 12:00 am

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/02/07/aecon-takeover-sale-china-unfair-competition/
Maybe this link will explain my point. The other point that was made bothers me, and I don't understand why y'all are so blase about it.


What other point?


What Jhunter199 just pointed out.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3411
Likes: 1615 posts
Liked in: 716 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Jhunter199 » Feb 25th, 2018, 12:08 am

What I pointed out has no bearing what so ever to your last article about Aecon.

rustled likes this post.
Jhunter199
Fledgling
 
Posts: 289
Likes: 257 posts
Liked in: 341 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 25th, 2018, 12:36 am

Jhunter199 wrote:What I pointed out has no bearing what so ever to your last article about Aecon.


Then please point out something that has a bearing on the article about Aecon, or any of the other articles on that page.
They all pertain to foreign corporations taking over Canadian companies. But, the point is that foreign STATE-OWNED corporations are taking over Canadian companies, and if you're not concerned about that, you certainly should be.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3411
Likes: 1615 posts
Liked in: 716 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Snman » Feb 25th, 2018, 4:38 am

Cactusflower, jhunter answered your question regarding the other valid point for me. I am not sure if you thought I was poking fun at you when I said "Hmmm, was it a seniors facility?" but I wasn't. Further, I see no need to be facetious with me with a comment about your 'wooden computer' or whatever it was. I don't recall saying anything to you about that. I was trying to have a reasonable discussion here but if you are going to assume that everyone is out to ridicule you or question your opinion then all I can do is shrug my shoulders and say wth. I guess you have the upper hand. Sheesh.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates

rustled likes this post.
Snman
Übergod
 
Posts: 1011
Likes: 1066 posts
Liked in: 735 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 6:27 am

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Hurtlander » Feb 25th, 2018, 7:10 am

Cactusflower wrote:http://cfjctoday.com/article/610535/kamloops-seniors-facility-hands-chinese-government
I thought I should start a new topic, since this problem is not simply tied to the construction up in the Peace Valley.

What I got from this article is that Cathy McLeod the Conservative MP for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo speaking on behalf of the Conservative party, has a very serious concern about the Federal Liberal government allowing a Chinese company to buy a chain of seniors living facilities....
What I get from the comments is that CF is now being ridiculed for posting a link to something the Conservative Party of Canada is concerned about..
The Conservatives definitely won’t win the next election if they can’t even gain a little support for their concerns over blunders by our current government on this forum of all places..
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
--Thomas Donahue

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Guru
 
Posts: 6488
Likes: 1630 posts
Liked in: 3683 posts
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Jhunter199 » Feb 25th, 2018, 7:48 am

Cactusflower wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:What I pointed out has no bearing what so ever to your last article about Aecon.


Then please point out something that has a bearing on the article about Aecon, or any of the other articles on that page.
They all pertain to foreign corporations taking over Canadian companies. But, the point is that foreign STATE-OWNED corporations are taking over Canadian companies, and if you're not concerned about that, you certainly should be.


Its not humanly possible for me, or anyone for that matter, to point out something in a comment, as I did, to a reference you posted after I made it... Sorry

I made a pretty valid comment on your OP in reference to Snman's comment

There's just no possible way I could at that time make a comment on your link to Aecon since you hadn't actually posted it
Jhunter199
Fledgling
 
Posts: 289
Likes: 257 posts
Liked in: 341 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby rustled » Feb 25th, 2018, 9:24 am

Hurtlander wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://cfjctoday.com/article/610535/kamloops-seniors-facility-hands-chinese-government
I thought I should start a new topic, since this problem is not simply tied to the construction up in the Peace Valley.

What I got from this article is that Cathy McLeod the Conservative MP for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo speaking on behalf of the Conservative party, has a very serious concern about the Federal Liberal government allowing a Chinese company to buy a chain of seniors living facilities....
What I get from the comments is that CF is now being ridiculed for posting a link to something the Conservative Party of Canada is concerned about..
The Conservatives definitely won’t win the next election if they can’t even gain a little support for their concerns over blunders by our current government on this forum of all places..

The federal governments have a responsibility of oversight here, and we have a responsibility for ensuring they're doing what they're elected to do. So perhaps we should be concerned, but about what, precisely?

It looks to me like there were serious concerns about Anbang, a foreign company with global holdings. Their own government is now taking action while investigating that company.

The OP was inaccurate in her interpretation of events, which doesn't inspire confidence that she actually understands the problem with Anbang, and whether or not it should be used to support her own concerns about foreign investment in Canadian companies, more specifically Chinese investment in Canadian companies.

It's not enough to tell us we, too, should be concerned. Perhaps we should! But we're not sheep. We want to understand why.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Guru
 
Posts: 5379
Likes: 7929 posts
Liked in: 5955 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby Hurtlander » Feb 25th, 2018, 10:42 am

rustled wrote:The federal governments have a responsibility of oversight here, and we have a responsibility for ensuring they're doing what they're elected to do. So perhaps we should be concerned, but about what, precisely?


rustled wrote:It's not enough to tell us we, too, should be concerned. Perhaps we should! But we're not sheep. We want to understand why.

Why don’t you contact MP Cathy McLeod and ask her yourself precisely what we should be concerned about, she is after all the person that brought this to our attention.
I thought the article was self explanatory, but it’s not my job to decipher it for you.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
--Thomas Donahue

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Guru
 
Posts: 6488
Likes: 1630 posts
Liked in: 3683 posts
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: Foreign SOEs taking over Cdn companies

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 25th, 2018, 10:58 am

I'll throw my hat in..

Not sure how big and far reaching foreign ownership of business' run in Canada.
Whether Government or Private Companies/holdings.

I certainly see a problem with it, and it is concerning.

This is Canada, and if things are not handled correctly it will no longer be.

Just an Annexed extension/suburb, of another Country.

As a dear departed Uncle was known to say;
"When they can't win wars with bullets, they will with money."
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

3 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 6339
Likes: 5365 posts
Liked in: 2766 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests