Carnage on Coquihalla

Cactusflower
Banned

Carnage on Coquihalla

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/219749 ... Coquihalla
A few weeks ago, I said exactly the same thing as the 'anonymous source' said, and got :cuss: on from a great height.
I also commented on how big rig drivers aren't as competent as they used to be. Same reaction. :-X
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Carnage on Coquihalla

Post by Hassel99 »

Biggest possible eyeroll
Why did you not just use that same thread?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't see a lot of carnage there. I see a lot of truckage and busage though.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Here we go again yes road conditions vary very quickly it is a pity those behind the wheel dont do the same. 80 km limit should be in-effect by the look of the speed in the video that was not the case....
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I`ll chime in..How much of a Nanny system would you like ?
Where does it stop ?

Best stock up in October and November, all highway mountain
passes to be closed November 15 to April 1st.

Bubble wrap coveralls being released in new vibrant colours, get yours today !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

What a horrible incident and lucky no one was killed. Some sources said it was two busses, two semis and a couple of cars. Hope Search And Rescue says it was three busses, four semis and seventeen vehicles for a total of twenty four involved. Of these the bus and semi professional drivers were in it. The one bus was lucky there was not a steep drop off there and it missed the trees. So we also hear from the Police that road and weather conditions contributed to this carnage so we can assume that not driving to conditions is the only reason that this happened. So there it is for all to see how these incidents keep on happening. Not to mention that the highway was closed both ways and how about all of the hundreds of vehicles and people caught in this closure?. There are a lot of lucky people alive this time but what about the next time?. I do not mean to downplay this sad incident but the future must be taken into account to stop the injuries and deaths from happening. If there were no posts there on each side then the result would have been many deaths and injuries as the vehicles would have not had the option of going off road left and right and would have gone straight into the ones there and the semis would have done the finishing touch to the carnage. Something to think about when using our highways. Good luck as you will need it. And always keep a lookout in front and also behind you as this is where the most danger is coming from.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Definition of carnage:
: great and usually bloody slaughter or injury (as in battle) (Webster)
: the slaughter of a great number of people, as in battle; butchery; massacre. (dictionary.com)

People will tend to take you more seriously without the wild exaggeration.

While there were a number of injuries (some serious...), there were no deaths. A bunch of big vehicles got banged up -- probably a few of them totaled. The fact that there were no deaths, probably suggests that the industry is doing something right, regarding protecting folks inside their vehicles.

The accident, and the fact that a resident says they happen there all there time under these conditions, suggests that adjustments must be made to either the highway there, the warning signs, or both. As long as you have humans driving heavy vehicles on ice -- in the dark, during winter storms -- you will have accidents.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Castanet was trying to be really, really funny by using a pun. CARnage. Ha ha... good thing no one died, or they would have looked like complete jerk-bomb mofos.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote:Castanet was trying to be really, really funny by using a pun. CARnage. Ha ha... good thing no one died, or they would have looked like complete jerk-bomb mofos.

I didn't think they were trying to be funny. In early moments, it probably looked far worse for injury than it was, and looking at first reports/images one would have expected some loss of life. But keeping the most alarming headline possible, instead of changing it to something to more accurately reflect what had happened (bad as it was), makes them seem more click-baity than credible as a news source.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

That's it, ban all buses from traveling on highways. The risk is just too great.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Green Barbarian wrote:That's it, ban all buses from traveling on highways. The risk is just too great.

Just assault buses though. No one needs to have a bus that can carry 50 passengers! There's no way that it's responsible to allow that many people to travel in a single vehicle.
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

The Green Barbarian wrote:That's it, ban all buses from traveling on highways. The risk is just too great.

Oh, I don't know about that. I saw quick incident stabilization efforts from various agencies, showing a proficient level of interoperability, and outstanding skill-sets with sufficient resources to tackle the task at hand.

Overall, a world class response system seems to be in place, and I'm comfortable with the risks assumed in driving to Hope.

ETA: Besides, I've been led to believe if we sell a little less oil, we run the risk of running out of oil, and then we'll all be cooking squirrels over cow dung fueled camp fires.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Feb 26th, 2018, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Oh, I don't know about that. I saw quick incident stabilization efforts from various agencies, showing a proficient level of interoperability, and outstanding skill-sets with sufficient resources to tackle the task at hand.

Overall, a world class response system seems to be in place, and I'm comfortable with the risks assumed in driving to Hope.

I just got an email from the "Rides Foundation" in the US telling me that all Canadian buses have to be banned. The risk is just too great. I hear what you are saying that there are world-class response systems in place, that are probably approved by our Federal government, but I am just too scared of another accident to allow buses back on the roads. I heard that Horgan and Heyman are totally on board with this idea. It's time people, to rally against future bus accidents, by taking them all off the roads!! The Rides Foundation is right!! Protest at the Greyhound bus station at 4:00 pm! Blaze up behind the Greyhound station at 4:20 pm!!!
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Feb 26th, 2018, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Going to fast for the conditions
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”