Kinder Morgan protestors

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Kinder Morgan protestors

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 20th, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 20th, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Now those protesters are facing criminal charges and could be doing jail time.

A B.C Supreme Court judge has ruled that protesters that defied an injunction at Kinder Morgan’s Burnaby Terminal will face criminal charges for ignoring the law.

The charge will be criminal contempt.

More than 100 people were arrested after ignoring a court order to stay away from the Kinder Morgan facility, which at the moment, is the epicentre of protest against the $7.4 billion Trans Mountain pipeline extension project.

http://aptnnews.ca/2018/04/19/b-c-judge ... nal-court/
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Pro-pipelne support is growing.

Support is growing in B.C. for the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

A recent poll has found more than half of B.C. residents now support the controversial pipeline.

There are highly vocal opponents to the pipeline, but a survey conducted for CTV News by Insights West found 54 per cent of 1,000 people asked support the twinning of the pipeline.

That is an 11 per cent jump compared to a poll taken in the fall. Opposition has fallen to 36 per cent, down 10 points from the fall.

"Those protesters on the sideline that are saying every British Columbian doesn't support the project – it's not really the case," said Insights West president Steve Mossop.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/224316 ... rt-growing
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

as with most polls, they asked what.. 1000 ppl? Meanwhile I read this found it interesting
http://theprovince.com/opinion/op-ed/jo ... ne-dispute
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Regardless of the outcome re the KM pipeline, I hope the Government seriously considers banning foreign donations to what are essentially political causes (albeit hidden under the guise of being environmental ones).

Whatever decisions are taken in this country, they should be entirely CANADIAN decisions, not decisions that are unduly influenced by foreign interests with hidden agendas.

I also hope that laws are passed banning non resident participation in political demonstrations, and that all caught violating such laws are forever banned from visiting our country ever again. Because visitors to Canada are guests in our country, and should behave as such. If they don't, they should be made to leave, and never allowed to return.

Finally, I applaud the courts for stating that anyone (including Canadian residents) who ignore court orders should be criminally charged. Because while it's every citizen's right to take part in legal protests to demonstrate opposition to a Government decision, it's wrong to ignore the rule of law in an attempt to get your own way about something. If everyone did that our democracy would soon break down and we'd be left with anarchy.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

normaM wrote:http://theprovince.com/opinion/op-ed/joseph-maloney-refining-the-bitumen-might-be-the-way-out-of-pipeline-dispute

If that can be done, then it may well be the way out of this current mess. It would certainly be a good "face saving" solution for Horgan.

The following quote from that article stuck a chord with me:
As much as electric vehicles can help reduce atmospheric pollution, it will be a long time before they replace gasoline-powered engines. Even then, we will still need pavement to drive them on, lubricants to keep them running and plastic parts to build them. All of these require oil, and a lot more of it than most people realize. Oil will be part of our energy future for decades, as much as we might try to wean ourselves off of it.

It's a pity some of our most vehement protestors don't take that information to heart; but I fear it goes right over their heads.
They simply don't see the link between all the things they use in their regular daily lives, and the oil industry.

Anyway, if the suggestions in the article are viable, I'd be all in favour of refining Alberta's product to a more acceptable level for shipping. But from what I understand, cost and length of time to get such facilities up and running are a prohibitive factor to such a solution.

However, whether it's possible to do more refining here or not, or whether the KM pipeline expansion is built or dies, I still think the ideas I outlined in my previous post should stand. Foreign interests with hidden agendas should not be allowed to use their money to unduly influence Canadian decisions about what happens here in Canada. And all those who choose to ignore the rule of law whenever they disagree with a particular Government decision, should be criminally charged.
Last edited by Merry on Apr 21st, 2018, 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Merry thought you were talking about KM for a sec.. I guess if we have foreign investments then we cannot ban foreign support for protests
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

normaM wrote:Merry thought you were talking about KM for a sec.. I guess if we have foreign investments then we cannot ban foreign support for protests

Foreign companies investing money in our country is something our Government generally encourages, because it benefits our economy (which in turn benefits all of our citizens). BUT, whenever our Government decides it is not in our collective best interest to allow such investment, then it bans that particular investment (as in the much publicized Chinese case).

The point is that the decision as to whether or not a particular foreign investment will be allowed is made by our democratically elected Government, NOT by the foreign company that wants to make the investment.

Whenever our Government makes a decision, that decision should be made based on what is in the best interests of CANADIANS, not what is in the best interests of a foreign company, or a foreign government, or a foreign political group.

If CANADIANS want to take part in a legal protest against a Canadian Government decision, then that is their constitutional right. But foreigners have no such right, nor should they.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Well said Merry :) If I had a garden I'd share the fruits of my labor with you
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

normaM wrote:Well said Merry :) If I had a garden I'd share the fruits of my labor with you

NormaM !! That's spelled "Labour" in this country !!
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It would appear that the pipeline protestors are losing significant ground........... https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/224316 ... rt-growing

They are down about ten points while the pro side is up by around the same amount, but even more significant is that they represent barely over one third of BC people at this point.

Perhaps there is hope yet, and those living in the lower mainland whose votes inflicted this NDP disaster upon us, are getting the message, and noting the possible connection between their gas prices, and the proposed new pipeline.

Edited for spelling
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Apr 21st, 2018, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Maybe they are getting the clue that it not only affects their gas prices but also their groceries, their fine wine, their dinning out, their travel and actually everything they purchase. It will even drive up the cost of hydro they were so worried about because of the extra costs Hydro will have due to their foolishness. Sounds like a few are possibly smart enough to see the light.

EDIT TO ADD:

Even those who don't drive are going to be hit in their pocket books by these actions.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”