Kinder Morgan protestors

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Kinder Morgan protestors

Post by Jflem1983 »

Merry wrote:I think the current situation (that was created by Heyman opening his big mouth) WILL result in the NDP losing the next election. Because people are worried about how a trade war with Alberta will impact their pocketbook.

And life has taught me that even when people are willing to take the "high road" on matters such as the environment, they soon change their mind when it "hits them in the pocketbook".

If the cost of gas rises to over $2 a gallon, along with the cost of just about everything else we buy, the ensuing anger will be directed at the NDP the next time we go to the ballot box. You can count on it.

Ill take 2 dollar a GALLON gas.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote:I think the current situation (that was created by Heyman opening his big mouth) WILL result in the NDP losing the next election. .

Merry, these losers have lost five elections in a row. Of course the NDP are going to lose the next election. They just plain suck. They got lucky in that the Conservatives ran a candidate in Comox for some reason, and the province got unlucky as the idiots on Vancouver Island elected three moronic and crazy Green party candidates. So now we are suck with this disgusting unelected disaster running the province. It is to weep.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Pipeline protest pushback?

The second report in a two-part Angus Reid Institute study of the TransMountain conflict finds Canadians are three times more likely to say the protesters do not represent the mainstream view of their compatriots.

Protests against Kinder Morgan’s TransMountain Pipeline followed Prime Minister Justin Trudeau all the way to London, England. Where protestors from the United Kingdom's branch of Greenpeace demonstrated.

But the Angus Reid report indicates the broader Canadian public is less enthusiastic about resistance to this project.

Six-in-ten Canadians, 59 per cent say the pipeline expansion would help the Canadian economy overall, while one-in-five, 17 per cent say it would have negative consequences.

More Key Findings:

60 per cent say they view the protests against TransMountain as not representative of the mainstream view, but fewer, 46 per cent say they would like to see B.C. Premier John Horgan should condemn them
By a ratio of three-to-one, Canadians say Kinder Morgan could have done a better job of earning public support and brought much of this conflict upon itself. This opinion is held by supporters and opponents alike
Regardless of which side of the debate they are on, more than half of Canadians say they’re paying close attention to this issue – including majorities in every region other than Quebec
Bring back the LIKE button.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

If Horgan is so sure of what the people of really BC want, he should prove it by calling a snap election before engaging in a trade war with Alberta and a court wars with both Alberta and Ottawa. He should know for certain that he actually has the BC public’s support before he wastes millions fighting this battle.
Besides, if he called a snap election and won, he’d get that monkey Weaver off his back.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Hurtlander wrote:If Horgan is so sure of what the people of really BC want, he should prove it by calling a snap election before engaging in a trade war with Alberta and a court wars with both Alberta and Ottawa. He should know for certain that he actually has the BC public’s support before he wastes millions fighting this battle.
Besides, if he called a snap election and won, he’d get that monkey Weaver off his back.

Great points. If Horgan found enough people dumb enough in BC to give him a majority, then while I would be pretty sad and upset, it is democracy. What we have now in BC isn't democracy, it's unelected boneheads no one wanted in power making a total mockery of this province.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Although you are correct in saying Horgan should really call a snap election to show he has a mandate to screw this province up more than he already has, I really doubt he will until this stupid PR referendum is held. The one with evidently a low threshold.
After that, then an election would be held as Weaver would cause this miss aligned government to fall.

This leads me to a question: What would happen under proportional representation if pretty much every riding in BC elected a Liberal. Much like the election in 2001 ( 77-2) I hope the ridings wishes would be upheld and a Liberal candidate would represent the people that voted for them. ( just tick one box) If this is the case, I hope the Liberals would get rid of this stupid PR so not to have daft fringe single issue parties get in and collecting my tax money to promote quack policies.
This government is an embarrassment!
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Merry wrote:I think the current situation (that was created by Heyman opening his big mouth) WILL result in the NDP losing the next election. Because people are worried about how a trade war with Alberta will impact their pocketbook.

And life has taught me that even when people are willing to take the "high road" on matters such as the environment, they soon change their mind when it "hits them in the pocketbook".

If the cost of gas rises to over $2 a litre, along with the cost of just about everything else we buy, the ensuing anger will be directed at the NDP the next time we go to the ballot box. You can count on it.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224411
The Angus Reid questions to their e-mail members is what's key, and nowhere does it tell us exactly what those questions were. Of the key points listed in this news item, the second and third are the most relevant, IMHO.

Also, not everyone is going to cave to Kinder Morgan, Notley, and Trudeau because of how this is going to affect their pocketbooks. For instance, when this whole boondoggle began, I started looking for a good used EV. I did a lot of research into it and decided on a 2016 Nissan Leaf. It has turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The very best decision was one I made 8 years ago.......to quit smoking. I saved all the money I saved every day by not buying cigarettes, put it in a special bank account, and by the time I decided to buy an EV I had more than enough in that account to buy it. I'm sure there are many British Columbians who quit smoking long before I did. They've likely saved enough to buy a Tesla or Bolt by now. All they have to do is get their priorities straight.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#224411
The Angus Reid questions to their e-mail members is what's key, and nowhere does it tell us exactly what those questions were. Of the key points listed in this news item, the second and third are the most relevant, IMHO.

Also, not everyone is going to cave to Kinder Morgan, Notley, and Trudeau because of how this is going to affect their pocketbooks. For instance, when this whole boondoggle began, I started looking for a good used EV. I did a lot of research into it and decided on a 2016 Nissan Leaf. It has turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The very best decision was one I made 8 years ago.......to quit smoking. I saved all the money I saved every day by not buying cigarettes, put it in a special bank account, and by the time I decided to buy an EV I had more than enough in that account to buy it. I'm sure there are many British Columbians who quit smoking long before I did. They've likely saved enough to buy a Tesla or Bolt by now. All they have to do is get their priorities straight.

The questions Angus Reid asked are not difficult to find:
http://angusreid.org/kinder-morgan-transmountain/

(ETA: direct link to questionnaire, from the above link: http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads ... Morgan.pdf )

I wouldn't judge whether or not others are "getting their priorities straight" by expecting my own experiences to be applicable to everyone else's situation. I wonder if that's what you are doing here?
Last edited by rustled on Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Interesting that Insights West also found "Support for Kinder Morgan Pipeline Expansion Increases Dramatically in British Columbia"
https://insightswest.com/news/support-f ... -columbia/
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote: They've likely saved enough to buy a Tesla or Bolt by now. All they have to do is get their priorities straight.

i think you mean "Volt" but who cares. So what priority is it that they are supposed to "get straight" exactly? It's not about wanting a cleaner environment, that's for sure, given the giant footprint an EV has, so what is it? Their priority should be to have much bigger electricity bills and be able to virtue-signal about their cars? Is that it?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

CF - review the "soup nazi" Seinfeld episode.

The green machine continues to spit out rubbish. No, most people can not afford to buy a Tesla, most people can not afford to put silly solar panels on their roof to virtue signal - and never mind the large chunk of the population who don't have a roof, condo owners, renters, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs

Battles and wars are fought over the bottom two rungs. The cult of green is attacking people at those two rungs. The cult of green will lose, because their smug snobbery does not concern itself with those rungs.

There is little real argument about the science of a warming planet. Empirical and anecdotal evidence are both in support.

The cult of green has gone far astray in that it consistently fails to recognize empirical data in other and more pragmatic areas, and continues to to be cognitively challenged on providing real solutions. Yes, one can scream "Houston we have a problem". However, offering no viable solution and threatening the lower rungs of the Maslow hierarchy for the bulk of the population is entirely counter productive.

Real solutions don't seem to be part of the false "solution" constantly promoted by the green cult. People catch on after a bit, and they react quite simply when you offer only a fraudulent "solution". https://stopthesethings.com/2017/12/02/guilty-subsidised-wind-solar-drive-australias-rocketing-retail-power-prices/

People may not understand the complexities that drive that mess, a mess created by the cult of green, but they DO understand the top line of ridiculously high energy costs, and the hypocrisy of touts of the green cult who happily tell them "you are screwed, but excuse me while I fly off to Mexico for holiday". People DO understand the fraudulent nature of a green cult that opposes renewable energy from hydroelectric.

Wind and solar as a "solution" is entirely fraudulent for the average person. The empirical data shows that.

There are solutions and potential solutions that in the right mix can indeed make some progress, but the cult of green touting wind and solar (and tidal) as part of it is both scientifically incorrect and counter productive.

There are also potential solutions outside of what is already proven, such as enhanced geothermal (EGS) that may add to the real mix of solutions.

As long as the cult of green touts wind/solar/tidal as "the solution" - then they are doing much more harm to world than those who steadfastly wish to ignore the issues altogether.

The LEAPers are completely wrong in their in ivory tower snobbery approach - especially as they fly around the world burning fossil fuels, touting "bio-fuels that result in deforestation, rising food prices and dying orangutans. Societies do not "flip as switch" - they evolve, and they can only evolve when none are left behind. That means real solutions that can affect the problem without destructive side effects.

The combination of the LEAPers and the cult of green is entirely toxic to resolving the real issues.

By the way, Tesla/Solar City is going broke - their bonds have been reduced to junk, they can not raise more money, and they can not make a profit. That's the real world.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

hobbyguy wrote:The combination of the LEAPers and the cult of green is entirely toxic to resolving the real issues.

10/10
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

So Horgan is now being schooled by a First Nations Chief as to how he should be behaving. :up:

The Chief is absolutely correct and has described Horgan spot on.

Horgan, and all the NDP as well as their cheerleaders, have no interest in discussing anything with those who do not cling to the same position/opinion as the NDP.

Why else would Horgan not be talking to the person, whose band has the most at stake in the pipeline construction? Because he'd rather talk to the likes of Stuart Phillip who loves stirring up controversy and taking advantage of photo ops. It's quite clear Phillip flat out lied the last time he was talking about the First Nations being against the pipeline, and in the process making it seem as though they all were.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:

So Horgan is now being schooled by a First Nations Chief as to how he should be behaving. :up:

The Chief is absolutely correct and has described Horgan spot on.

Horgan, and all the NDP as well as their cheerleaders, have no interest in discussing anything with those who do not cling to the same position/opinion as the NDP.

Why else would Horgan not be talking to the person, whose band has the most at stake in the pipeline construction? Because he'd rather talk to the likes of Stuart Phillip who loves stirring up controversy and taking advantage of photo ops. It's quite clear Phillip flat out lied the last time he was talking about the First Nations being against the pipeline, and in the process making it seem as though they all were.

This is Horgan's reply.

Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “B.C.”