Kinder Morgan protestors

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kinder Morgan protestors

Post by Smurf »

Their time will probably come, but it is not here yet, especially in Canada where we have such long distances, both hot and cold weather requiring extra draws on the power that is there. I am still wondering when we push batteries to the point where they are dangerous while trying to get more out of them. Hopefully they can avoid that one.

Even further off topic Tesla is getting in doggie dodo.

A massive cash burn and multiple factory snafus mean investors are losing patience.

Investors bought it, but things didn’t happen quite that way. The next two vehicles, the Models S and X, were also big-ticket luxury rides with sticker prices that could easily exceed $100,000 for a fully tricked-out vehicle. Even so, Tesla hasn’t reported a single annual net profit since it went public in 2010. Not that it seems to have mattered, as the company’s $50 billion market cap attests.

Check out the graph

Already facing concerns about its cash burn because of the billions of dollars invested in preparation for the Model 3, Tesla stabilized things by reiterating it would get production up to 5,000 cars a week this summer and thereby avoid having to tap public markets for more money. Musk has since apparently increased that target to 6,000 a week, according to a leaked email that surfaced on April 17. But what happens if it misses that one, too?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rowed-time

I can see him running out of money, backers just like Nikola Tesla did. Yes other manufacturers are and will take up the slack but oil is going to be around for a while yet.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Thank goodness (and many other car manufacturers) we don't have to buy Teslas. If you google 'plug-in bc' you'll find that Tesla charging stations are rarely open to the general public anyway. The Flo and Greenlots stations are found all over the province and all EV drivers can use them........except Tesla drivers, that is.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I haven't kept up, are there still public subsidized charging stations out there. I remember you saying how you always charge up at work instead of paying for it yourself. It's a real shame we have to pay for other people to drive around.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:I haven't kept up, are there still public subsidized charging stations out there. I remember you saying how you always charge up at work instead of paying for it yourself. It's a real shame we have to pay for other people to drive around.

You subsidize oil companies, schools, health care, and every other social service, why are you so against subsidizing EV charging stations? They're not all free anyway. Most of the quick charge stations charge 35 cents per kwh. Where I live, the outets in the parking area are not metered separately. We all pay through our strata fees, and if some petty neighbour saw me using one to charge my EV, even though everyone else uses them for their block heaters all winter, and vacuuming their vehicles every week, all hell would break loose. I do plan to bring this up at the next AGM, though.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:
Smurf wrote:I haven't kept up, are there still public subsidized charging stations out there. I remember you saying how you always charge up at work instead of paying for it yourself. It's a real shame we have to pay for other people to drive around.

You subsidize oil companies, schools, health care, and every other social service, why are you so against subsidizing EV charging stations? They're not all free anyway. Most of the quick charge stations charge 35 cents per kwh. Where I live, the outets in the parking area are not metered separately. We all pay through our strata fees, and if some petty neighbour saw me using one to charge my EV, even though everyone else uses them for their block heaters all winter, and vacuuming their vehicles every week, all hell would break loose. I do plan to bring this up at the next AGM, though.

It's about the current draw?
For a 2012 Nissan Leaf, its average rated efficiency of 99 MPGe translates to 34 kilowatt-hours per 100 miles. Just multiply that by your electric cost. So if you pay the U.S. average of 12 cents/kWh, the Leaf will cost you $4.08 to go 100 miles (versus $16 in a 25-mpg car with gas at $4/gallon).Mar 6, 2013

Compare that to a vacuum cleaner.
Capture.JPG

How many hours a day are used for vacuuming by all of your neighbours combined?

Let's not forget that you also use that free power to vacuum your car.

An EV needs to be charged daily, every day, Winter and Summer, block heaters only need to be used for maybe 3 months per year?
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:You subsidize oil companies, schools, health care, and every other social service, why are you so against subsidizing EV charging stations? They're not all free anyway. Most of the quick charge stations charge 35 cents per kwh. Where I live, the outets in the parking area are not metered separately. We all pay through our strata fees, and if some petty neighbour saw me using one to charge my EV, even though everyone else uses them for their block heaters all winter, and vacuuming their vehicles every week, all hell would break loose. I do plan to bring this up at the next AGM, though.

Did "strata" agree to include your fuel for your EV in the fees? Strata means that every resident shares the costs of overhead and conveniences like block heaters. Have the rest of the rate paying residents agreed to subsidize your fuel usage? Did you ask them? OR have you just taken it upon yourself to take what what you want?
Lack of objection is implied consent.......right?
Pay for your own fuel!
Bring back the LIKE button.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Your only example I would compare it to is oil and although oil might get some dollars for exploration etc it puts billions into our economy to support education, health and probably the wind and solar industry. Solar on peoples homes is definitely subsidized. Please show me some actual figures on the dollars the charging of EV's puts into our economy to offset the subsidies it is given and produce an actual profit, let alone billions.

EDIT TO ADD:

You also have to remember the investments in the petroleum industries we all have through our pension plans, CPP, OAS and even personal investments for many of us. I don't believe there is such a thing in the EV or even the wind and solar industries. I would again be very interested if you could show me some facts and figures to dispute my feelings.

Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:Your only example I would compare it to is oil and although oil might get some dollars for exploration etc it puts billions into our economy to support education, health and probably the wind and solar industry. Solar on peoples homes is definitely subsidized. Please show me some actual figures on the dollars the charging of EV's puts into our economy to offset the subsidies it is given and produce an actual profit, let alone billions.

EDIT TO ADD:

You also have to remember the investments in the petroleum industries we all have through our pension plans, CPP, OAS and even personal investments for many of us. I don't believe there is such a thing in the EV or even the wind and solar industries. I would again be very interested if you could show me some facts and figures to dispute my feelings.

I'll try to find some facts and figures for you, but you really should be asking 'erinmore'. He or she is the research guru.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Sorry guys I am about to go on holidays, back in a week.
http://www.cppib.com/documents/1804/cdn ... 018_en.htm

This gives you an idea of the Canadian investments.At this point I do not have time to analyze these. Foreign Investments are similarly available. Numerous EV and Alternative Energy funds are available for private investment. It would be interesting to determine how many protesters and protest organizations or even the NDP or Green Parties have put their money where their protests are.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Have a good holiday!!

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Did a quick glance before heading to the gym and yard work. Saw lots of petroleum investments I know but did see anything on EV or alternative energy but could easily be that i do not know what I am looking for as I am not well up on those industries. In fact I am not real well up on investments these days as I am sticking pretty well to my old staples at this time. Too little time too much to do.

westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Get on with it. ARREST the protesters, throw them in jail and build the bloody thing. Enough is enough...
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-burnaby-residents-call-for-pipeline-protest-camps-to-be-dismantled/

The City of Burnaby, B.C., whose mayor is sharply opposed to the expansion of the Trans Mountain pipeline, is under pressure from homeowners near a pair of protest camps.

The pressure has come as the city, which is the end point for the pipeline from the Edmonton area, has taken court action against the pipeline, and Mayor Derek Corrigan has said the city won’t cover RCMP costs for dealing with protesters, who have targeted a tank farm from which bitumen is loaded into tankers.

In a recent submission to city council, area resident Darlene Johnston tabled a petition with 176 residents’ signatures and expressed concerns about traffic, fire safety, litter and the “negative impact of the protest activities on adjacent property values.”

Ms. Johnston, speaking for residents, called for the camps to be torn down – a view shared by others in the area.

On Sunday, Ms. Johnston, who has lived in Burnaby for 46 years, said she stands by that view.

“Burnaby is doing nothing. They say they are monitoring the situation, but that means nothing to us,” she said in an interview.

“The city is turning a blind eye to bylaws being broken because the mayor is opposed to the pipeline,” said Barbara Spitz, a former school trustee who lives in the area."

So the liar demovictions Derek Corrigan takes a fight to the courts to enforce trumped up Burnaby bylaws on the pipeline construction, then refuses to apply existing Burnaby bylaws to the protest camps. Derek Corrigan just used the pipeline issue to pander for votes - the guy doesn't care about the residents of Burnaby, just his fat butt $alary and pen$ion. What a hypocritical snollygoster!

This is what happens when the incompetent NDP petty thieves get any kind of power - they mess stuff up royally and do nothing positive in the end - they just screw the taxpayer!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

You got it all figured out Hobby
You should run for Premier.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

madmudder wrote:You got it all figured out Hobby
You should run for Premier.

That's the standard opinion of Hobby's Castanet choir. The rest of us tend to read more balanced public opinion forums while visiting this one for our daily chuckles.

Return to “B.C.”