Photo Radar "!101"

Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Ken7 » Mar 8th, 2018, 6:37 pm

I think it is a great idea to place radar and or camera at location of high incident intersections.

You can't afford having in City accidents like we have continue. We in BC have in my opinion no concern about being caught racing through a amber which turns red before crossing the crosswalk. No wonder out insurance can not keep up with all the high cost of injury claims,

Glad to see it happening, hope Kelowna gets a van full and puts them up ASAP we need it.

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6658
Likes: 3797 posts
Liked in: 2733 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Catsumi » Mar 8th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I for one would love to see photo radar returned. My little country back lane road is akin to the Indy Speedway. Posted is 50 k but most fly by doing at least 90-100 k.
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2577
Likes: 3184 posts
Liked in: 2228 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby sixxonesixx » Mar 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm

I'd like to see mandatory license testing for 65 and over. When I get there, I'd like to get checked out regardless of my denial. If not for my own safety, but for public safety. Was almost hit 3 times in a row by the same guy. Had to drive up into the turn lane the last time or he would have pushed my into the intersection.
Could we start with that?

KiloHotel likes this post.
sixxonesixx
Fledgling
 
Posts: 127
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 34 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2007, 9:14 am

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby hobbyguy » Mar 8th, 2018, 9:21 pm

All I can say is that photo radar was such an unpopular cash grab when the BC NDP did it before, that the Liberals added dumping it as a campaign plank when they drubbed the BC NDP 77-2.... rinse, recycle, and repeat?
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8542
Likes: 2378 posts
Liked in: 9089 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Smurf » Mar 8th, 2018, 9:29 pm

The complaints about it being a money grab are absolutely insane. It is not a money grab because you do not get a ticket unless you're speeding, in other words breaking the law. In which case you deserve everything you get and probably a lot more these days. No one has to worry unless they are breaking the law and endangering everyone else around them. Hopefully we get them all over BC. We need a lot more enforcement on our roads today as anyone who drives knows. Also glad to hear they are enforcing distracted driving right now and nailing a bunch of the idiots (or whatever description is acceptable) on their phones.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

8 people like this post.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 9307
Likes: 15052 posts
Liked in: 5624 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby hobbyguy » Mar 8th, 2018, 9:40 pm

https://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2017/can-camerasafety.pdf

"Based on the available data, there is no evidence to suggest that there is a significant correlation between presence of mobile photo radar and traffic collisions."

Worth a read. Big time cash grab!
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

5 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8542
Likes: 2378 posts
Liked in: 9089 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Smurf » Mar 8th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Please explain how it can be a cash grab if they are catching people breaking the law.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

the truth likes this post.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 9307
Likes: 15052 posts
Liked in: 5624 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby GordonH » Mar 8th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Smurf wrote:The complaints about it being a money grab are absolutely insane. It is not a money grab because you do not get a ticket unless you're speeding, in other words breaking the law. In which case you deserve everything you get and probably a lot more these days. No one has to worry unless they are breaking the law and endangering everyone else around them. Hopefully we get them all over BC. We need a lot more enforcement on our roads today as anyone who drives knows. Also glad to hear they are enforcing distracted driving right now and nailing a bunch of the idiots (or whatever description is acceptable) on their phones.


Exactly.
Running a red light & according tv news excessive speeders through intersection are the targets, plus cameras will be running more often.
Don't worry each intersection being upgraded will have signage warning drivers. Knowing the small percentage of drivers that actually pay any attention to traffic signs, they should be able to ticketed a large amount idiot drivers.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Smurf likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20711
Likes: 2309 posts
Liked in: 7314 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby hobbyguy » Mar 8th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Smurf wrote:Please explain how it can be a cash grab if they are catching people breaking the law.


IF you read that article, there was no improvement in safety measured, but they grabbed $700,000 per year in fines in Sherwood Park.

I personally am not concerned, because I don't speed. But the data shows that that the only effect in Sherwood Park was to collect $$$.

Just pointing out that while photo radar might seem like a good idea, it appears the only real effectiveness is gather revenue for the government. That's what the data indicates.

Put in the context of the coming and more draconian ticket impacts on ICBC rates/discounts, and the cash grab is pretty obvious.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8542
Likes: 2378 posts
Liked in: 9089 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Smurf » Mar 8th, 2018, 10:26 pm

They are still breaking the law so it is NOT a tax grab. In the long run even if it does not help the intersections, which I still believe it will, they are breaking the law and deserve any fines they get. If they are stupid enough to want to deliberately break the law and be fined that is their problem not the governments and not a tax grab. They are being a danger and deserve to be punished. You gave absolutely no proof that people being fined for breaking the law is a tax grab. Please try again.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 9307
Likes: 15052 posts
Liked in: 5624 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Urbane » Mar 8th, 2018, 10:44 pm

I don't feel good about saying this but I think there's a place for photo radar. I was opposed to it when we had it before but as I see drivers zipping through red lights and as I see drivers travelling at unsafe speeds I'm more willing to accept something that I'm not fond of. People, some people anyway, need to smarten up and it would seem as if we need to up the enforcement.

Those of us who aren't driving too fast or driving through red lights have nothing to worry about and if the enhanced red light cameras help make our roads a bit safer then that's good for everyone. If it just means more cash in the coffers coming from those who break the law then that's not such a bad thing either.
"Spectemur agendo"

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21168
Likes: 8992 posts
Liked in: 11067 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Jhunter199 » Mar 8th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Smurf wrote:They are still breaking the law so it is NOT a tax grab. In the long run even if it does not help the intersections, which I still believe it will, they are breaking the law and deserve any fines they get. If they are stupid enough to want to deliberately break the law and be fined that is their problem not the governments and not a tax grab. They are being a danger and deserve to be punished. You gave absolutely no proof that people being fined for breaking the law is a tax grab. Please try again.



Yep I agree, they break a traffic law they get a ticket. Hopefully it gets people thinking and driving a little smarter.

Smurf likes this post.
Jhunter199
Fledgling
 
Posts: 291
Likes: 260 posts
Liked in: 343 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Ken7 » Mar 9th, 2018, 12:14 am

sixxonesixx wrote:I'd like to see mandatory license testing for 65 and over. When I get there, I'd like to get checked out regardless of my denial. If not for my own safety, but for public safety. Was almost hit 3 times in a row by the same guy. Had to drive up into the turn lane the last time or he would have pushed my into the intersection.
Could we start with that?


I have to disagree with you, age is not the factor. We have 30 year olds who should not be driving. Age and sex is no different, when you see people texting and hogging the left lane...they are more of a danger then the 85 year old doing the speed limit on Glenmore.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6658
Likes: 3797 posts
Liked in: 2733 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Ken7 » Mar 9th, 2018, 12:20 am

hobbyguy wrote:
IF you read that article, there was no improvement in safety measured, but they grabbed $700,000 per year in fines in Sherwood Park.

I personally am not concerned, because I don't speed. But the data shows that that the only effect in Sherwood Park was to collect $$$.

Just pointing out that while photo radar might seem like a good idea, it appears the only real effectiveness is gather revenue for the government. That's what the data indicates.

Put in the context of the coming and more draconian ticket impacts on ICBC rates/discounts, and the cash grab is pretty obvious.


Generating money is good, then you can afford more patrol members. The second thing that must be done is the registered owner must be held accountable. He / She should get points against drivers. Once you hit 10 point, statutory drivers suspension for 90 days. That will catch someones attention.

Smurf likes this post.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6658
Likes: 3797 posts
Liked in: 2733 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Postby Dizzy1 » Mar 9th, 2018, 12:45 am

Photo radar has zero to do with safety and everything to do with revenue.

If the revenue went into something constructive such as road maintenance, lower car insurance, etc. I'd be more open to it - but seeing that most extra revenue doesn't trickle down to us mere citizens - I'm strongly against it :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5133 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest