Photo Radar "!101"

my5cents
Guru

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Post by my5cents »

Smurf wrote:
I would agree they should be able to get a good picture but you know as well as I do that no matte what you will not always get a good picture for any number of reasons such as the glare of sunlight. The owner can and should be totally responsible for knowing who is driving their car as they are the one licensing and insuring it. When you take out your license and insurance you assume responsibility unless it is stolen.

Also I would think anyone would want a responsible driver in their car.

I agree with you, a tweek of the law and the RO is deemed the driver, with ALL the penalties or they nominate a driver, who is assessed those same penalties.

Taking the photo (or another one) from the front, wasn't an oversight I was a legal opinion that it would be a breach of privacy. Gotta love candy *bleep* lawyers.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

My5cents I agree with most of what you said. Mobile, officer, monitoring is much better than stationary, however in the absence of mobile I feel stationary helps to fill in the gap. I also agree with monitoring accident locations but I also feel we should monitor known speeding areas as I personally feel speeding is dangerous and serious offence. I would love to see some of the chronic speeders loose their licence for 90 days or more. Impound the car also so that they are really inconvenienced. Maybe they would catch the hint but again you can't fix stupid. Normal law abiding driver should not have to be on constant lookout for speeders, tailgater's, red light runners, stop sign runners, texters and any number of other offences that so many privileged people feel are their right because they are extra special drivers and can do it. Most of us can do those things but have the brains and common sense not to. The sad part is most of these people know what they are doing is wrong and calculate their speed or whatever to hopefully get away with it. Deliberately breaking our laws.

I would love to see many more police on the roads but I don't think we can afford the number that would be necessary to actually do the job properly.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:I agree 100% but you never said on word about taking pictures from the front in your comment that I quoted. In fact nothing was said in Hurtlanders original statement. I can't read your mind.

What do you mean you can't read my mind? I'm almost offended :biggrin:

Seriously though, my mistake - long days, brain farts - you know, the usual :biggrin:

Smurf wrote:I would agree they should be able to get a good picture but you know as.

If the picture is not clear enough, the ticket gets voided - just as it does in other jurisdictions that have done this for decades. If the photo shows the driver intentionally trying to block their face, then you can use the cars registered owner to track down the driver and ticket them twice, again, how its done in other jurisdictions that have had this practice for decades.

Regardless, with todays technology, its pretty hard not to get a good shot - and to be quite frank, the expression of the driver's faces when they get caught is almost well worth the ticket :biggrin:

Smurf wrote:Also I would think anyone would want a responsible driver in their car.

We'd all like to think that - but what happens when that responsible driver that we trust more than anyone else goes out and does something stupid? Personally, I'd like to be assured that the law will go after them for being stupid and not me for simply owing the car.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:
Sorry my bad I mixed up my lanes. I meant to say left lane. Assuming the right lane is even slower and occupied. Hopefully you wouldn't pass on the left even if it was empty.

Sure, sure - go ahead - confuse me :biggrin:

If a slower vehicle is in the left lane, legally passing other vehicles in the right lane - of course they shouldn't be pushed - not saying that that doesn't happen, but no - thats not right. Now, if the vehicle refuses to get back into the right lane after passing - then sorry to say - they deserve to be tailgated - again, not saying that thats right, but its their own fault, they are now being a factor into a potential accident just as much as the tailgater.

Having said all that, do I tailgate? No. I'm able to maintain a courteous and defensive driving manner regardless of what kind of idiot I'm dealing with. As per your question, would I pass on the left? Why would I pass on the left? Unless of course, I have a lane available to do so. If the vehicle doesn't go back into the right lane, I'll give them a bit of time and distance and maybe flash my high beams as a friendly reminder. If they simply refuse to get into the right lane, or start to slow down more or do something stupid as a brake check - a quick shoulder and into the right lane I go, pass on the right with extra caution to make sure they don't change their mind and off I go minding my own business. Simple.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Dizzy1 wrote:Photo radar has zero to do with safety and everything to do with revenue.

If the revenue went into something constructive such as road maintenance, lower car insurance, etc. I'd be more open to it - but seeing that most extra revenue doesn't trickle down to us mere citizens - I'm strongly against it :up:

Actually, 100% of ticket revenue in BC is handed back to the municipalities to do with what they please. If you don’t like what’s being done with the revenue, your beef is with your local government.
http://www.cscd.gov.bc.ca/lgd/policy_re ... grants.htm
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Municipalities are now having to hunt around for more $$$$ to offset the extra needed to cover medical as mandated by Horgan government.

Rather than raising the funds on taxpayers backs, Speeding ticket revenues could be the answer. That is, until the speeders slow down.

Just a thought. :D
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

KL3-Something wrote:Actually, 100% of ticket revenue in BC is handed back to the municipalities to do with what they please. If you don’t like what’s being done with the revenue, your beef is with your local government.
http://www.cscd.gov.bc.ca/lgd/policy_re ... grants.htm

Did I suggest my beef was elsewhere?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Catsumi wrote:Municipalities are now having to hunt around for more $$$$ to offset the extra needed to cover medical as mandated by Horgan government.

Rather than raising the funds on taxpayers backs, Speeding ticket revenues could be the answer. That is, until the speeders slow down.

Just a thought. :D

Or you can just do what Edmonton did - keep lowering the tolerances to keep that cash cow coming in :up:
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Dizzy1 wrote:

If a slower vehicle is in the left lane, legally passing other vehicles in the right lane - of course they shouldn't be pushed - not saying that that doesn't happen, but no - thats not right. Now, if the vehicle refuses to get back into the right lane after passing - then sorry to say - they deserve to be tailgated - again, not saying that thats right, but its their own fault, they are now being a factor into a potential accident just as much as the tailgater.

Having said all that, do I tailgate? No. I'm able to maintain a courteous and defensive driving manner regardless of what kind of idiot I'm dealing with. As per your question, would I pass on the left? Why would I pass on the left? Unless of course, I have a lane available to do so. If the vehicle doesn't go back into the right lane, I'll give them a bit of time and distance and maybe flash my high beams as a friendly reminder. If they simply refuse to get into the right lane, or start to slow down more or do something stupid as a brake check - a quick shoulder and into the right lane I go, pass on the right with extra caution to make sure they don't change their mind and off I go minding my own business. Simple.

So what you are basically saying is you will break the law and push the limits whenever and however you feel like it. Seems like you feel it is your right to speed or whatever, whenever you wish. Sounds like a very poor attitude to me. Sorry but in my opinion you are a hazard on our roads. Just because someone else is an idiot it does not give us licence to be one.

Dizzy1 wrote:

Smurf wrote:
Also I would think anyone would want a responsible driver in their car.

We'd all like to think that - but what happens when that responsible driver that we trust more than anyone else goes out and does something stupid? Personally, I'd like to be assured that the law will go after them for being stupid and not me for simply owing the car.

Again, you own it, you are responsible for it. If you can't handle the responsibility don't own a vehicle.

These are my opinions and I admit I am a fanatic about safety, responsibility, following our laws and whatever else is involved with licensing and owning a vehicle. I am not perfect but I do strive to do my best at all times when I am in control of a vehicle and the safety of everyone around me is involved. Once you form habits they come automatically whether they are good, bad, safe or unsafe.

Probably best we agree to disagree so we don't send this thread to the bickering room. Safe driving!
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:If the picture is not clear enough, the ticket gets voided - just as it does in other jurisdictions that have done this for decades. If the photo shows the driver intentionally trying to block their face, then you can use the cars registered owner to track down the driver and ticket them twice, again, how its done in other jurisdictions that have had this practice for decades.

Regardless, with todays technology, its pretty hard not to get a good shot - and to be quite frank, the expression of the driver's faces when they get caught is almost well worth the ticket

Like I said the government lawyer have ruled that they shouldn't take photo's of the driver's face for privacy reasons. (yes, I know it doesn't make any sense at all)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Dizzy1 wrote:

Sounds like you feel you are the traffic police. LOL.

Do you know at what speed that law applies?

I find it interesting the views people have on tailgating. All you need is to be the receiver of a whiplash and your views will change on this inconsiderate approach to getting ones way, like a spoiled child in my opinion.

Even when stopping how many of you know what the safe stopping distance is? I am amazed at how many people are so close that if someone collides with them, they will undoubtedly smash into the vehicle in front of them .

Last evening at 7:40 pm, once again. Vehicle turning left off of Glenmore Road and vehicle charges through amber light, and t-bones another which was making a left hand turn. No breaking and a serious accident, why disregarding a amber light. Likely injuries as air bags deployed. This type of accident is too common and should never occur.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

For everyone that is OK with Photo Radar Please keep in mind the following scenarios:

1) Driving at 3 kph over the speed limit will result in a speeding ticket from an automated radar van
2) Passing a vehicle for which a driver almost always has to speed a little will result in a speeding ticket
3) During winter months, accidentally sliding through an intersection will result in a failure to stop ticket
4) Photo Radar cannot clearly indicate whom was driving so the ticket goes to the vehicles owner, not the actual driver
5) If the license plate is covered in snow/mud, photo radar will not be useful at all
6) Disputing tickets handed out by automated radar are more easily won in the courts and more are inclined to dispute them
7) Photo Radar doesnt ticket other bad driving habits like not signalling, improper merging, aggressive lane changing, tail-gating, drinking and driving etc.
8) Turning Left from a 2-way onto a 1-way is perfectly legal but a photo radar camera wont know the difference as its technically a red light

More RCMP officers out patrolling the roads are the best and most effective way to target and reduce aggressive/bad drivers.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Dizzy1 wrote:So what if your kid says it wasn’t them? They said it was your other kid? Take a picture of the front including the driver, cut out the middle man and make everyone’s life easier and more efficient :up:

No good taking pic of the front for Alberta cars; no license plates there.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Even when stopping how many of you know what the safe stopping distance is? I am amazed at how many people are so close that if someone collides with them, they will undoubtedly smash into the vehicle in front of them .

Ken7...........funny you mention "safe distance"..............please tell me what it is if you know. And is it stated or written anywhere?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Nedroj wrote:For everyone that is OK with Photo Radar Please keep in mind the following scenarios:

1) Driving at 3 kph over the speed limit will result in a speeding ticket from an automated radar van
I've never heard of a ticket that wasn't 10 KPH or more over
2) Passing a vehicle for which a driver almost always has to speed a little will result in a speeding ticket
Only if you are going 10 or more over the limit.
3) During winter months, accidentally sliding through an intersection will result in a failure to stop ticket
Did you fail to stop ?
4) Photo Radar cannot clearly indicate whom was driving so the ticket goes to the vehicles owner, not the actual driver
By design photo radar takes photo's of the rear of the vehicle so as to NOT show the occupant's faces
5) If the license plate is covered in snow/mud, photo radar will not be useful at all
True
6) Disputing tickets handed out by automated radar are more easily won in the courts and more are inclined to dispute them
I've never seen the stats on this, perhaps you could share
7) Photo Radar doesnt ticket other bad driving habits like not signalling, improper merging, aggressive lane changing, tail-gating, drinking and driving etc.
Correct, and certainly a flaw. A static piece of evidence gathered to prove a moving offense
8) Turning Left from a 2-way onto a 1-way is perfectly legal but a photo radar camera wont know the difference as its technically a red light
I strongly doubt that, are you "supposing" ?
More RCMP officers out patrolling the roads are the best and most effective way to target and reduce aggressive/bad drivers.
Well, police officers, there are other jurisdictions with municipal police. Agreed

Return to “B.C.”