NDP shoot down FIFA games

Bettyb
Fledgling

NDP shoot down FIFA games

Post by Bettyb »

Is it true the government doesn't want to host the event?
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: NDP shoot down FIFA games

Post by d0nb »

So it would seem.

Opinion: BC NDP's fiasco to kill Vancouver's 2026 FIFA World Cup bid a deep embarrassment
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-ndp-v ... ld-cup-bid
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hm.
“We sent a draft submission to the proponents last week. It didn’t meet their expectations, but I have a higher obligation than just being a soccer fan, I have a higher obligation than just wanting to see world-class soccer in Vancouver,” said Horgan, adding that he didn’t want to sign a “blank cheque.”

“I have to make sure taxpayers aren’t on the hook for unknown costs at the whim of FIFA.”

Interesting that he doesn't show the same concern about blank cheques and the taxpayers' being on the hook when it comes to things like the defamation suit he has mired us in.
As far as we know right now, the three other Canadian cities and provinces that are seeking a position in the bid have not declined the terms, and they certainly have not created a gripe to the extent that it would have them out of the running.

Sounds like another case of this "government" being unprepared.
From the Castanet story, it looks like the City of Vancouver and the federal government had thrown their support behind a Vancouver bid:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/22 ... of-Cup-bid
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC loss equals some other areas gain, I'm a fan of the beautiful game.... just not the corrupt organization FIFA.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

This was another boondoggle by a government that has no plan. This would have been a net gain for BC but they don't get it. Absolutely stupid. Screwed the people of BC out of millions of dollars. The infrastructure is already in place, very little needs to be spent in order to reap a tourism bonanza. Biggest event in the world and we could have been part of it. So myopically idiotic.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I'm not a soccer fan but I agree that this would have been a huge event that would have been a good thing. However, the NDP probably know that by 2026 the taxpayers and the province will be completely broke and will be in no position to host such an event.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The government was wise to refuse the bid book which would require the government to essentially sign a bank cheque over to the corrupt FIFA organization. Providing venues, training facilities and policing costs (&etc) while FIFA sits on $1.3 BILLION dollars is not a good move to make.
Chill
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

FIFA has a number of requirements for stadiums hosting World Cup games. One of these is capacity. FIFA requires that a venue hosting the opening game and the final must have a net capacity of at least 80,000. For the other group matches, last 16, quarter finals and the match for third place the requirement is at least 40,000, and FIFA requests a net capacity of at least 60,000 for venues hosting the semifinals.

For future World Cups, the number of venues is also about the same. FIFA advised applicants for the World Cup in 2018 and 2022 that 16-18 venues should be presented in each application, venues which, in a reasonable manner, should be spread all over the country. Of these 16-18 stadiums FIFA would then choose 12 stadiums.

http://www.playthegame.org/fileadmin/do ... IFA_WC.pdf
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^ BC Place has a capacity of 54,500. Why expand the place when it has never been financially viable and requires taxpayer support every year? It has never even filled all those seats despite 'crowd estimates' - expenses on this white elephant have always fallen far behind revenue.
Chill
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:FIFA has a number of requirements for stadiums hosting World Cup games. One of these is capacity. FIFA requires that a venue hosting the opening game and the final must have a net capacity of at least 80,000. For the other group matches, last 16, quarter finals and the match for third place the requirement is at least 40,000, and FIFA requests a net capacity of at least 60,000 for venues hosting the semifinals.

For future World Cups, the number of venues is also about the same. FIFA advised applicants for the World Cup in 2018 and 2022 that 16-18 venues should be presented in each application, venues which, in a reasonable manner, should be spread all over the country. Of these 16-18 stadiums FIFA would then choose 12 stadiums.

http://www.playthegame.org/fileadmin/do ... IFA_WC.pdf

All the games to be played in Canada & Mexico, from my understanding was round 1/Group Stage (World Cup starts with 32 teams). All the knockout stage games would to be played in US only.

Group Stage has 8 groups of 4 teams, top 2 teams from each group moves on the knockout stage.

Added later: at least 5 NFL stadiums can seat 80,000+ (largest being Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum at 93,607)
Plus 8 College stadiums can seat over 100,000
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

flamingfingers wrote:BC Place has a capacity of 54,500. Why expand the place when it has never been financially viable and requires taxpayer support every year? It has never even filled all those seats despite 'crowd estimates' - expenses on this white elephant have always fallen far behind revenue.

Here are the stadiums approved by FIFA for 2018 World Cup in Russia with seat amounts:
http://www.stadiumguide.com/tournaments ... -cup-2018/
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

GordonH wrote:All the games to be played in Canada & Mexico, from my understanding was round 1/Group Stage (World Cup starts with 32 teams). All the knockout stage games would to be played in US only.

2026 WC will have 48 teams. New for the WC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

The tournament will be the first to feature 48 teams, after FIFA approved expansion from 32 teams
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:All the games to be played in Canada & Mexico, from my understanding was round 1/Group Stage (World Cup starts with 32 teams). All the knockout stage games would to be played in US only.

JagXKR wrote:2026 WC will have 48 teams. New for the WC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

The tournament will be the first to feature 48 teams, after FIFA approved expansion from 32 teams

Look like that means 16 groups with 3 teams per group, so only top team would move on.
They still end up with 16 teams in the knockout stage, those games would be played in US.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Remember the pride we felt when we hosted Expo and the Olympics? The old magic could have been rekindled by hosting 3 or 4 World Cup games - but John Horgan and the NDP said no.

The no-fun NDP said no to Expo. No to the Olympics. And now no to the World Cup. Why is it always so hard for the NDP to say "yes" on anything (except raising our taxes)?!? :cuss:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Leifer wrote:Remember the pride we felt when we hosted Expo and the Olympics? :

what I remember is how the loser NDP'ers here tried all they could to kill all pride in hosting the Olympics. They were just plain awful. But what else is new.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”