Syrian family living a good life in Surrey

blueliner
Übergod

Syrian family living a good life in Surrey

Post by blueliner »

Well, I don't know what to say without getting banned, but this just *bleep* me off.
I should be retired but still working.
This family of soon to be 10 and probably closer to 20 by the time all their relations arrive, not one of them work.
http://theprovince.com/news/local-ne...f-c2f7a131f27d
What do Canadians and the seniors get? - basically a kick in the butt after working a lifetime, paying taxes and being a responsible citizen.
Make sure you read the comments.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Re: Syrian family living a good life in Surrey

Post by vinnied »

broken link
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Just Google the title Syrian family living a good life in Surrey
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Because living in a slum lords house with mould is the "good life" and finding a place to rent at $2000 plus utilities at 500/month is going to leave them room to send her to medical school if she doesn't make scholarships.

And looking to lease a farm is exactly the same as having one already.

Sure.

I met a woman the other day who said her family came to Canada after the War and he dad retired when the Canadians were still working for a living.

It's all in where you put your money and what you don't spend it on as much as what you do.

The Good Life means many different things to different people, that is for sure.

Blueliner, I hope you were being sarcastic.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

$3500 in child tax????
I'm so old I think family allowance was like $50
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

After fleeing Syria, the family spent three years Jordan, including eight months in a refugee camp before arriving in Canada in January 2016 as one of nearly 500 government-assisted Syrian refugees. The family had one year of federal refugee support. In early 2017 they transitioned to B.C. Income Assistance, which Bassam says is $1,200 a month.

In addition, the family receives the federal Child Tax Benefit of about $3,500 a month.

After covering housing at $2,500 a month, everything else covers necessities like transportation and food. For clothing, the family relies on Value Village, and for food, they supplement with the food bank.

$4,700 - $2,500 = $2,200 for all those people.

They meet at Timmies?

Wow, that is the "good life". VV Boutique and the food bank too!

Why do I work? /// Sarcasm off
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

One huge thing I notice is the language barrier. If he was serious he would give up his coffee shop time and he and his wife would use all their spare time while he looks after her and use a phone to learn the language. Their daughter they like to brag about so much could show them how and help them. Obviously he is spending coffee shop time with people who also speak his language instead of with English speaking people which would help him learn the language.

I would like to know where he plans to get the money to lease a farm and buy the tools and equipment necessary to farm it etc. It will take a fair amount of land and investment to feed a family of 10. So far their only income is child tax benefit. At this rate I feel sorry for his wife as she is the only income earner.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I read the comments on the Article. Had to agree that housing is difficult here in BC, not just for this couple.
If the article was written looking for empathy it missed the mark according to the comments.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Definitely missed it with me because as I said right off the bat I thought language was just an excuse that could easily be overcome. To us their life might not seem so great but I will bet they have never lived so good. I believe they should be trying harder.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I can't figure out why they're shopping at the most expensive thrift stores, there are cheaper ones for sure than VV.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

8 kids? Dude needs a new hobby.

The daughter will probably be forced to carry the burden of her family for many years to come.

The fathers is grooming her to be a surgeon “not for the money” so that she won’t feel so much resentment when it is all going to support them.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

TreeGuy wrote:8 kids? Dude needs a new hobby.

The daughter will probably be forced to carry the burden of her family for many years to come.

The fathers is grooming her to be a surgeon “not for the money” so that she won’t feel so much resentment when it is all going to support them.

In these cultures it is a point of honour to look after your parents well being after they raise you to be a hardworking member of society, who cares if the daughter provides for the parents until they pass, shouldn't all children accept some responsibility for their parents well being when the time comes? Im going to school with a Vietnamese kid who was sent here by his parents to become an engineer, nothing wrong with setting yourself up to take care of your family.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

blueliner wrote:Well, I don't know what to say without getting banned, but this just *bleep* me off.
I should be retired but still working.
This family of soon to be 10 and probably closer to 20 by the time all their relations arrive, not one of them work.
http://theprovince.com/news/local-ne...f-c2f7a131f27d
What do Canadians and the seniors get? - basically a kick in the butt after working a lifetime, paying taxes and being a responsible citizen.
Make sure you read the comments.

Syrians are not responsible for seniors and Canadians not being able to live comfortably, this was an issue long before a conflict ever arose in Syria. If after 60 years of working you have not set yourself up for retirement you have only yourself to blame.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

normaM wrote:I read the comments on the Article. Had to agree that housing is difficult here in BC, not just for this couple.
If the article was written looking for empathy it missed the mark according to the comments.

housing in bc is his hard on everyone, not just them , see the nice leather couch the kid is sitting on, looks nicer than what most people have, they have not paid one f en penny into the system they are getting 4,700 a month ,and they are still complaining :cuss: :swear: , -i expected nothing less and they proved me right
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “B.C.”