normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Syrian family living a good life in Surrey

Post by normaM »

Ah Richard
I agree one doesn't need to belittle others to make a point
From your last post

"I propose that old people here have a warped view of reality"
Sigh as an old person here I could say you don't know the brightest Uni grads then, the ones I know have all landed jobs after completing degrees,, and jobs in their field. Then again they traveled to where the jobs were. Still envy the woman teaching aboard.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:Apparently each individual (25,000 of them) that were part of the 500 family uptake sponsored by the Federal government received $50,000.00 each as a displacement bonus.

There are 7 in this family, 7 x 50,000 = $350,000.00

Please get your facts straight before posting or provide a link with proof.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/fact-ch ... -1.2670735

"According to the Canadian Council for Refugees, government-assisted refugees can get some help through the federal Resettlement Assistance Program.

That support is generally available for up to a year. The maximum amount provided is $25,000 per family. That includes a one-time start up payment to help refugees establish a household in Canada, as well as monthly income support, a spokesperson for Citizenship and Immigration Canada said.

The monthly payments depend on the size of the family and social assistance rates in each province."
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

It appears that my figures, which relied on a post made byJason Crick attached to the Vancouver Sun story are incorrect. His post, made 4 or 5 days ago has gone unchallenged so I thought the 500 families were "special cases" as not much this government does surprises me any more.

My figures were not made with intent to deceive or mislead, but foolishly done before fact checking. I do apologize for any harm or injury done to any of you.

In future I shall be more wary and strive to be faultless as everyone else here. :D

Added: As Jason Crick is on fb snd I am not, I was unable to contact him. If one of you with a fb account wants more info on where he got his figures? He may know something we don't or he may be fullof bs.
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 6th, 2018, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

rustled wrote:My, you're a broken record. Why would a farmer now located in an agrarian area look for work at Tim's? (Which starts at above $14 but hey, why not exaggerate that, too? Works for your soppy narrative.)

Let's say he volunteers with the gleaners, makes some contacts, and is offered a job doing what he knows how to do. Let's say he models for his children how one takes the opportunities life offers by building on the opportunities he has in front of him.

Sure, maybe the adolescent daughter who misses school to take care of adult responsibilities for this man's family becomes a doctor. We can hope that all of these children strive to do more with the opportunities Canada has afforded them than their parents have done, and that their parents don't continue to undermine the children's chances. I certainly hope that's what happens.

But bear in mind these parents can't even clean the black mould out of the home they're in, or make sure their daughter isn't missing school to help mom because dad, who's unemployed, "can't". Doesn't bode well for the kids' future, does it. But you're not prepared to let that reality derail your soppy narrative, either.

So you'll keep pretending Tim's is this man's only option and suggesting anyone who doesn't agree with you on this is a horrible person, and then you'll take umbrage when people respond to the sop you're posting with "they need to go back to Syria". Because you simply cannot see how self-serving your soppy narrative is, so you keep at it. Virtue signalling of the worst sort: the kind that throws others under the bus. Blech.

Okay, lets pretend he lands a job as a labourer at a steel mill making $16 an hour, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year (unlikely). That is $2560 a month and $30,720 a year before taxes. He is still under the poverty line for a household of 7, he will still be forced to resort to income assistance to provide for his kids since a full time job at $16 wont even pay for his housing expenses. If he is out of the house 40 hours a week then surely at that point the daughter will have to sacrifice her studies entirely to take care of the family. Reading the article and reading about the daughter and how much help she lends to the family while studying medicine leads me to believe that the daughter already possesses a great set of values despite her families reliance on income assistance. I benefit in absolutely no way from Syrian resettlement, there is nothing self-serving about showing basic decency towards those displaced by war, and you don't need to benefit in order to extend a helping hand either.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Catsumi wrote:It appears that my figures, which relied on a post made byJason Crick attached to the Vancouver Sun story are incorrect. His post, made 4 or 5 days ago has gone unchallenged so I thought the 500 families were "special cases" as not much this government does surprises me any more.

My figures were not made with intent to deceive or mislead, but foolishly done before fact checking. I do apologize for any harm or injury done to any of you.

In future I shall be more wary and strive to be faultless as everyone else here. :D

The only person that doesn't make a mistake is the person that doesn't do anything. It's all ok.
Someone has to say it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Brass Monkey wrote:Okay, lets pretend he lands a job as a labourer at a steel mill making $16 an hour, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year (unlikely). That is $2560 a month and $30,720 a year before taxes. He is still under the poverty line for a household of 7, he will still be forced to resort to income assistance to provide for his kids since a full time job at $16 wont even pay for his housing expenses.
He would be cut-off completely.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Brass Monkey wrote:
Okay, lets pretend he lands a job as a labourer at a steel mill making $16 an hour, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year (unlikely). That is $2560 a month and $30,720 a year before taxes. He is still under the poverty line for a household of 7, he will still be forced to resort to income assistance to provide for his kids since a full time job at $16 wont even pay for his housing expenses. .

I noticed you conveniently omitted the $4,000 a month he is getting from the child tax credit for his 8 kids. His take home with the CTC is actually $78,720 if he takes the steel job. I know math is hard, but you are wasting your time here with this hard done by nonsense. Let's pretend everyone thought like you. No one would work. Everyone would sit around with their lazy thumbs up their butts, procreating and drinking coffee at Tim's. The government would eventually collapse, and Canadian society would collapse too, as there would be no one to brew the coffee at Tim's.

And stop with the sanctimonious garbage about showing decency to those displaced by war. Your warm tummy requirement with every post is really getting ridiculous.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Apr 6th, 2018, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

kgcayenne wrote: He would be cut-off completely.

Why? He's not eligible for the CTC? I thought that he was?

From the CRA website:

Basic benefit for July 2016 to June 2018
We calculate the Canada child benefit (CCB) as follows:
$6,400 per year ($533.33 per month) for each eligible child under the age of six
$5,400 per year ($450.00 per month) for each eligible child aged 6 to 17
We start to reduce the amount of CCB you get when your adjusted family net income (AFNI) is over $30,000. The reduction is calculated as follows:
families with one eligible child: the reduction is 7% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 3.2% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000
families with two eligible children: the reduction is 13.5% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 5.7% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000
families with three eligible children: the reduction is 19% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 8% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000
families with four or more eligible children: the reduction is 23% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 9.5% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000

If we use the virtue-signalling steel worker example, the Syrian procreator/humble agronomist would be right at the minimum threshold of $30,000 of annual income, and so would see almost no reduction in his child tax credits he would get every month. It appears that for all of his progeny under six years old he's getting more than $500 a month. He would not be cut off at all, and instead would still be enjoying a "good life" with this CTC credit. And I'm not saying that he shouldn't get it either.

What we are all saying is that if everyone sat on their fat *bleep* drinking coffee all day doing nothing, this country would go no where. And there shouldn't be a system in place to encourage this. I don't blame the Syrians, I blame the system.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Think kgcayenne was referring to being cut off social assistance once his monthly wages exceeded the yearly allowable earning cap.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Think kgcayenne was referring to being cut off social assistance once his monthly wages exceeded the yearly allowable earning cap.

which is fine - who in Canada can earn welfare while still working? Why pay taxes at all, you're just sucking and blowing.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

So he should be cut off and in my mind he should be doing everything he possibly can to get off social assistance aleady and start doing his share in the country that saved his *bleep*. Two years is long enough to sit around and do nothing but drink coffee and make babies. Get a night job so the older children will be home to help in the house and "STOP" making babies especially if his wife is so sick.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Think kgcayenne was referring to being cut off social assistance once his monthly wages exceeded the yearly allowable earning cap.

given the previous disingenuous poster's bogus example of the steel mill job and the convenient neglect to mention the CTC gravy, it was not clear what KCayenne was saying. Thanks for the clarification.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Has anyone directed this family to: cheaper thrift stores? ESL classes or Dr.s to get ummm, birth control? Because quite honestly, how could they justify more childern?

Know that tragic situation in AB? Part of the 14 in the hospital are the children of one couple, four adults and 10 children, all from one couple. They're doing the same thing, baby making machines for welfare. Someone prove I'm wrong.

So the Syrian couple, are they unique? No.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

because they many, not all are looking for a free ride, have a look at the mess all of europe is because of this
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

That is the problem with giving out too much free money. It takes away peoples initiative to work and look after themselves. It sounds good to help people but there will be abusers to the system and the easier you make it the more there will be. I remember years ago our kids had a friend who had just graduated high school and had no idea what he wanted to do. He picked up a real good construction job for the summer but then got laid off in the fall. Instead of going on unemployment he went to work nights at a convenience store for less money than he would make on unemployment because he did not want to suck off the system. He actually even gave up his evenings and nights which must have been hard for a young guy. Guess what! today he is a very successful family man who has continued to support himself. People sometimes need a hand up, but it should never be a free ride.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”