NDP sneak in a PST hike when you weren't looking

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

NDP sneak in a PST hike when you weren't looking

Post by Gone_Fishin »

So, here's one that flew in under the radar. Horgan has amended the PST Act to now charge consumers 7% PST on delivery and cartage charges on retail invoices. Those charges were previously PST exempt. Staff from the local PST offices are frantically calling businesses to give them a heads up about this big increase in tax that they now have to charge customers. Even the delivery charge on a used, old sofa will now get taxed!

Making life less affordable, the NDP way.

Example 1:
Ash purchases a sofa from a used furniture store. He asks for the sofa to be delivered to his
home and arranges for delivery at the time of sale. The furniture store must charge Ash PST on
the delivery charge because the charge was incurred at the time the sales contract was made
and at the same time title transferred.

Example 2:
Gary purchases an electric bicycle from a bicycle shop and asks for fenders to be added and
have the bicycle delivered to his home. The bicycle shop installs the fenders the next day and
later calls Gary to inform him that the electric bicycle is ready for delivery. The bicycle shop
must charge Gary PST on the delivery charge because the charge was incurred at the time the
sales contract was made and before title transferred.

Example 3:
Jessie orders a dress from a clothing store that has eight of those dresses in stock. She
completes the bill of sale online that includes delivery. The clothing store must charge Jessie
PST on the delivery charge because the charge was incurred at the time the bill of sale was
completed online and before title transferred.

Example 4:
Ritchie purchases a blender online from a retailer located in Alberta and requests that the
blender be delivered to his home in Castlegar. If the online retailer is a PST collector, the online
retailer must charge Ritchie PST on the delivery charge because the blender is delivered from
outside BC into BC. In this situation, for the purposes of the PST, it does not matter when title
to the blender transfers. If the online retailer is not a PST collector, Ritchie must self-assess
(pay directly to us) the PST on the blender and the delivery charge.

See that they've "revised" the bulletin in March, 2018 and the tax came into effect April 1, 2018. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes ... harges.pdf
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: NDP sneak in a PST hike when you weren't looking

Post by Urban Cowboy »

We can't possibly get rid of these slimy weasels soon enough!
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

If I understand this correctly, this is a huge blow to the trucking/delivery service industry. They have always been considered a service industry which is exempt from PST participation. I hope I am misunderstanding this.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

:swear: :swear: Bill Vanderslam :swear: :swear: should be slammed up the side of the head, with a piece of BC Fir, for leading the charge to bring back a separate PST into BC.

This is going to be a nightmare to invoice and bill.
My company sells to mainly PST exempt companies, but have a few that do pay PST on various purchases.

Now I have to add a line to the shipping invoice that tells the shipping company to not charge PST.
How well is that going to work with Loomis and Purolator?
Local BC delivery companies, including booze delivery now have to add extra PST to the bill.
If it is "free delivery" as part of the price then what do you charge?

Again the NDP has added a tax to consumers and industry that has not been properly researched.

How soon until the non-confidence vote and these clowns are thrown out? :swear:

EDIT TO ADD:

Concrete is the only thing not included in this added tax.
But - any grocery items that are taxed by PST are now going to be more expensive.
Clothing - Electronics - Ice cream and the list goes on.

This is a nightmare for any grocery store - by what I read in the bulletin, you have to pay PST for shipping on part of the load and PST exempt on the balance.
Small business has just been handed numerous hours of paperwork to document and justify what is charged and collected and remitted to PST.
How stupid is the NDP to add extra costs onto the consumer.

The very people that they say they are trying to help are the ones they are screwing.

Time to get rid of the NDP.
BC consumers and industry, can not afford this B :cuss:
Last edited by NotNorthAnymore on Apr 4th, 2018, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

twobits wrote:If I understand this correctly, this is a huge blow to the trucking/delivery service industry. They have always been considered a service industry which is exempt from PST participation. I hope I am misunderstanding this.

I don't think your misunderstanding at all, this is just an all-new added expense that will be passed down to the consumers.

Nicely done NDG, should have housing prices at all time lows soon enough as everyone is slowly forced to move to more affordable Provinces.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Good grief.

Soon it will be time to organize a general strike of all those folks in business. Shut down revenues feeding that great gaping maw in Victoria!

Anyone out there who still thinks government is your pal?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I think all the NDP party MLA's should be subjected to mandatory enemas at least once a week. :swear:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I think all the NDP party MLA's should be subjected to mandatory enemas at least once a week. :swear:

I think they are brainwashed already !!
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

So, if I am understanding this right.....even the delivery charge on things like pizza/Chinese food will go up by 7% also?

Delivery on a truck load of dirt/lumber/all building materials/gardening supplies/BBQs/etc will also go up? That adds a 7% increase to the materials to build a new house or renovate an old one. What next? A 7% charge for delivering a baby?
Bring back the LIKE button.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Thanks for posting this -
should get rid of the PST all together.. bad enough we are saddled with GST
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

NotNorthAnymore wrote::swear: :swear: Bill Vanderslam :swear: :swear: should be slammed up the side of the head, with a piece of BC Fir, for leading the charge to bring back a separate PST into BC.

Of course, Vanderscammer had none other than Adrian Dix, Carole James, and John Horgan squarely in his corner on that one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

NotNorthAnymore wrote::swear: :swear: Bill Vanderslam :swear: :swear: should be slammed up the side of the head, with a piece of BC Fir, for leading the charge to bring back a separate PST into BC.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/vanc ... 5042414466

you need to also slap twin people Adrian Dix and John Horgan while you are at it. What total idiots. Just the dumbest people in BC, by a mile.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Yet another tax hike I'll either never have to pay or if I do I won't notice. Nice whinging point though.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

CapitalB wrote:Yet another tax hike I'll either never have to pay or if I do I won't notice. Nice whinging point though.

You can be assured this is only the thin edge of the wedge, be prepared for the next ill conceived tax grab.
What do you figure next ? PST on fuel at the pump, Capital gains on your primary residence ? Capital gains on your retirement plan savings ?
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

There's a thread going about buying online rather than locally -- this tax will be another nail in the coffin for BC companies trying to compete with online out-of-province, out-of-country email order houses, where often GST and PST are not charged at all, much less tax on shipping charges.

Whatever extra revenue the NDP think they're going to get from this, is going to do more harm than good, as BC'ers simply limit their purchases from BC companies that must now tax shipping charges, and instead buy outside of BC and Canada.

Brilliant...! :thumbsdown: :swear:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn

Return to “B.C.”