B.C.’s new approach to testing older drivers

normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: B.C.’s new approach to testing older drivers

Post by normaM »

Probably wouldn't hurt me to be tested. I never mastered parallel parking ( nor have others it seems) I can do the perfect park witness free, have a small crowd walking around and suddenly

btw, for those don't know I am owned by a Frenchie
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: I never mastered parallel parking

Try parking a 33' trailer behind a 20+' truck.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Rather than getting tested every few years I prefer a 1/2 day refresher course with a driving assessment at the end. No matter what age you are.
I just had one through my employeer on Friday, and know that it helped.

For that matter I had my mom do one 6 months ago, or I wasn't going to let her drive.

Since I imagine some people will say I can't afford it, I am thinking that an ICBC rebate may entice some people.
ICBC will then hopefully more than make that back through a reduction in accidents.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

tell me you aren't required to Parallel Park. Thats a good idea, was the refresher course very expensive?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I am getting close to the age and I love driving but If I am not safe then I should not be on the road, period. I welcome the government doing it because I do not like it being the responsibility of family. I hope I would have enough sense to stop if I became a danger but you never know till you get there exactly how you will react. I have a wife and a daughter that would slap me silly but government control would make it much better that family feud.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

normaM wrote:tell me you aren't required to Parallel Park. Thats a good idea, was the refresher course very expensive?

no parallel parking required, however if you wish to try I am sure then will let you.

$100 for an assessment, $300 for the course.
https://kdsc.bc.ca/driver-training-prog ... fessional/
My opinion is ICBC should give us up to a $200 rebate on the course.

My employeer gives us an in house Smith Defensive Driving course.
https://www.drivedifferent.com/
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

My Dad took himself off the road a few years back (he was 97 on his last birthday), not so much because he doubted his ability but because the abundance of aggressive/ignorant/rude drivers on the road in Kelowna made him nervous. He hit a point in life where peace of mind is more important than getting somewhere two minutes sooner, I'm proud of him.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

fluffy wrote:My Dad took himself off the road a few years back (he was 97 on his last birthday),

I'm proud of him.

I would be proud of him too.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

normaM wrote:everyone should have regular tests.. people get careless start taking chances, many elderly drivers don't have accidents simply because the rest of us are driving defensively.
See how ppl drive here at school zones ( dropping off their precious cargo then u turning and pushing their way in traffic) Or park of at Mission Park shopping mall.

True enough, but add to that also the fact that many of them park their cars for the whole winter, because they are too afraid to drive, so for six months of the year they aren't on the roads. Then they come back out rusty and even less competent, and we all get to play avoid the blue hair.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

fluffy wrote:My Dad took himself off the road a few years back (he was 97 on his last birthday), not so much because he doubted his ability but because the abundance of aggressive/ignorant/rude drivers on the road in Kelowna made him nervous. He hit a point in life where peace of mind is more important than getting somewhere two minutes sooner, I'm proud of him.

:up: So you should be.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Wow 97!!!!!! Harvest that DNA.
I will look into that course, thanks for providing the links
Agree that it is difficult to convince someone to stop driving ( I am gently coaxing an elderly friend right now) testing would handle it with out fam involvement.
A problem is that the hubby gets too bad to drive, so wife who hasn't driven since 1957 takes over. Way diff being a passenger than a driver.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

While the safety of all those on the roads is paramount, having worked with many seniors over the years- many who have not been re-issued a driving licence are now home bound and no longer independent.

With the loss of independence comes depression and the need to find family members, friends (most who have passed on or live in another part of the country) or pay a service to get their groceries, medications, ,doctors appointments etc. which increases the cost of living, especially tough on a fixed income.

I have been witness to a decline in vitality and optimism among these once independent seniors who have lost their so-called "privilege" to drive.

I am on the fence about the issue, it causes problems on both sides.

Return to “B.C.”