B.C.’s new approach to testing older drivers

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

B.C.’s new approach to testing older drivers

Post by oneh2obabe »

VICTORIA—Frank Harding is 98 years old and most days he drives his 1990 Volvo sedan to the Comox Recreation Centre where he works out.

One summer, the resident of Courtenay, B.C., said he drove across Canada four times from Vancouver Island to New Brunswick to visit relatives, although he doesn’t drive that much any more.

But Harding said he recently faced the prospect of losing his driver’s licence under a revamped driver reassessment program geared at drivers in B.C. once they reach 80 years old, which has raised questions about age discrimination.

<snip>In March, the B.C. government introduced its Enhanced Road Assessment program, which is the second stage of its fitness testing program for driver’s licences. It replaced the former DriveABLE program, which drew criticism from seniors for its reliance on computer tests and road tests in unfamiliar vehicles.

RoadSafetyBC, the government agency responsible for road safety, mandates every person at age 80, and every two years following, must undergo a Driver Medical Examination Report. The report serves as the primary tool for the assessment of conditions that may affect someone’s fitness to drive.<snip>

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... geism.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
BGrigg07

Re: B.C.’s new approach to testing older drivers

Post by BGrigg07 »

If I was in charge of licensing in BC I would test EVERY driver every 10 years, then 55-75 every 5 years then every year after 76.

It's a simple fact that people's eyesight and reaction time worsens as they age. Testing seniors isn't age discrimination, it's smart.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

BGrigg07 wrote:If I was in charge of licensing in BC I would test EVERY driver every 10 years, then 55-75 every 5 years then every year after 76.

It's a simple fact that people's eyesight and reaction time worsens as they age. Testing seniors isn't age discrimination, it's smart.

If I were in charge of licensing in BC I would test the drivers from age 16 to 25 EVERY YEAR.

And I would ask for a medical assessment for drivers over 80 (depending on their record) every 5 years. Or if they have an at-cause accident a medical assessment plus a road test every year.
Chill
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BGrigg07 wrote:If I was in charge of licensing in BC I would test EVERY driver every 10 years, then 55-75 every 5 years then every year after 76.

I agree.

Once a body gets up into the 80's, health can change in a heartbeat, and five year intervals for a medical assessment is simply too far apart, regardless of what their record is prior.

Driving isn't a right, contrary to what many feel, so since it's a privilege, it is only prudent that regulatory bodies stay on top of potential bad outcomes.

The gentleman in the story is the exception to the rule given his age. There are plenty out there who at 80 barely know where they are, let alone possess the cognitive ability to control an automobile.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

There are plenty of under 30 people out there who don't know where they are half the time. Guess we better test them every year too.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 14th, 2018, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

flamingfingers wrote:

If I were in charge of licensing in BC I would test the drivers from age 16 to 25 EVERY YEAR.

I know it would never be allowed, but if it was I would have them tested for drugs every 6 months. Since that is the age most people start abusing them making them the biggest risk of all.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

everyone should have regular tests.. people get careless start taking chances, many elderly drivers don't have accidents simply because the rest of us are driving defensively.
See how ppl drive here at school zones ( dropping off their precious cargo then u turning and pushing their way in traffic) Or park of at Mission Park shopping mall.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:See how ppl drive here at school zones ( dropping off their precious cargo then u turning and pushing their way in traffic)

If you want to see really bad driving habits spend some time watching a School Zone.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

This really shouldn't be an issue at all, but it gets emotionally charged when people start taking the civil rights/privacy/discrimination stance. There's a lot of stereotyping and prejudice involved that sidetracks the underlying goal of keeping our roads as safe as is reasonably possible. Simply put, statistics show that accident probability falls into a curve, starting high with new drivers, falling off as they mature, but rising again in advanced years. There are lots of variables involved, but I'm willing to trust that ICBC has had a close look at the numbers and figured out where attention is needed. We have the Graduated Licensing Program for young drivers. Every two years after eighty doesn't sound out of line with the accident rate for seniors, sure there are bound to be some entirely capable drivers that get indignant over increased testing requirements, but in the end it's for the greater good.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Sudsy that's what I said :) Two zones daily.. really it is bananas
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Interesting side note: While digging around for accident stats I came across a couple of mentions of a significant spike in accident rates in BC over the past five years. Most of these "new" accidents are being attributed to distracted and aggressive driving. A sign of the times perhaps ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Im going to be old one day. So i support an old persons right to drive. F yer safety. Stay home if your scared of Granny behind the wheel
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hehe. And some of that money the government is going to pour into highway rest areas should go for urostomy dumping stations.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

This is a great idea, long overdue. It removes the responsibility from the family and physician who may not always be able to convince someone who shouldn't be driving to voluntarily give it up.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “B.C.”