New BC government initiative - Eat BC!!

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

New BC government initiative - Eat BC!!

Post by flamingfingers »

Local eats sweep province
Trevor Nichols - Apr 13, 2018 / 5:47 pm | Story: 223657

Photo: Trevor Nichols
A new provincial government program is aiming to amp up awareness of local cuisine in British Columbia by enlisting restaurants, wineries, and others to help spread the eat-and-drink locally message.

The Buy BC: Eat Drink Local program will roll out across the province May 1, when more than 200 B.C. restaurants and wineries begin highlighting specially crafted dished and drinks on their menus, featuring locally sourced ingredients.

“The campaign is about growing relationships between B.C. restaurants, chefs, farmers, and producers—and about building preference for everything that is grown, harvested and produced in B.C.,” says Christina Ferreira, who is organizing the campaign in the Okanagan Valley

Cheers to the success of this program!! Eat and drink locally - support the farmers, restaurants and chefs who showcase BC produce!!
Chill
Snman
Übergod

Re: New BC government initiative - Eat BC!!

Post by Snman »

Until Horgan quits acting like the complete imbecile he is over Kinder Morgan, I will not buy anything made in BC that I don't have to.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Snman wrote:Until Horgan quits acting like the complete imbecile he is over Kinder Morgan, I will not buy anything made in BC that I don't have to.

Aww, Snman, surely you don't mean that. I was about to ask you out for lunch at my favourite local restaurant..........dutch treat, of course! :biggrin:
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Cactusflower wrote:
Snman wrote:Until Horgan quits acting like the complete imbecile he is over Kinder Morgan, I will not buy anything made in BC that I don't have to.

Aww, Snman, surely you don't mean that. I was about to ask you out for lunch at my favourite local restaurant..........dutch treat, of course! :biggrin:

I would, of course, make an exception for you Cactusflower. :smt045
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

bc is awesome
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

If Hogan gets his way, watch the price of fuel go through the roof in BC. The farmers won't be able to pay to get their produce to market and the consumer won't be able to pay for the gas to get out to the farm.
The stuff that gets trucked in from the USA and Mexico will be the only thing that we will be able to buy. That would be if the trucks can fuel up and carry enough fuel to make the round trip back to the USA.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So because Horgan is an idiot you are going to help by punishing local growers and other BC business's.

That'll help...not!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Bsuds wrote:

So because Horgan is an idiot you are going to help by punishing local growers and other BC business's.

That'll help...not!

Call it a quiet protest if you will. My protest though, unlike what's going on in Burnaby, will have little or no effect on the economy or the jobs and lives of thousands of Canadians, British Columbians included.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I'd love to buy locally grown produce; but whenever I go check out my local farmer's market the prices are much higher than I can afford. So I usually buy my produce at Walmart instead.

Paying a little bit more for locally grown is OK but, particularly during tourist season, the additional premium charged is way too much for those of us who are on a fixed income.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

There are quite a few gardeners here Merry, maybe they can share some bounty with you :) I'd offer you my back area to plant in but the soil doesn't support veggies very well
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

We in the Okanagan are fortunate in that there are truck gardens and orchards within easy reach. Forget the farmer's markets, leave them to the tourists. Seek out local farmers and orchardists whenever and wherever you can. Some even have a u-pick option. I've found that some of the local fruit stands' produce is even cheaper than the farmers markets.

IMO, Walmart is a last resort.

Return to “B.C.”