Alberta legislation unconstitutional?

Cactusflower
Banned

Re: Alberta legislation unconstitutional?

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 18th, 2018, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

buckland wrote:As a final note, there was a spill today in Zama so I can understand the scepticism on the BC Government's part regarding guarantees of support.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4147946/para ... n-alberta/

That’s less oil than three rail tanker cars carry, just imagine a derailment of 100 tanker cars ending up in the Athabasca, or the Thompson or the Fraser at some point between Edmonton and the sea port. It’s not if a derailment will happen, but when.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

If they want to shut off the taps, it can be done legally in many ways.

A month long maintenance inspection should about do it.....this is important in measuring the steel wall thickness for corrosion and is a routine part of operating a pipeline.

They will hold off until the refiners find alternate contracts for their products. Much of that refined product is shipped by rail or truck anyways. Lots of markets in the east that will take it. The tracks still run east to Toronto as far as I know.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Snowbound wrote:If they want to shut off the taps, it can be done legally in many ways.

A month long maintenance inspection should about do it.....this is important in measuring the steel wall thickness for corrosion and is a routine part of operating a pipeline.

They will hold off until the refiners find alternate contracts for their products. Much of that refined product is shipped by rail or truck anyways. Lots of markets in the east that will take it. The tracks still run east to Toronto as far as I know.

Nice idea, but.....Kinder Morgan runs smart pigs through their pipeline on a regular basis that both cleans the pipe between flowing different products, and also inspects the overall pipe integrity.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hurtlander wrote:
Snowbound wrote:If they want to shut off the taps, it can be done legally in many ways.

Nice idea, but.....Kinder Morgan runs smart pigs through their pipeline on a regular basis that both cleans the pipe between flowing different products, and also inspects the overall pipe integrity.

So maybe a pig gets stuck. Could take weeks
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

It could be legal. If they cut the supply of oil to all the provinces. And this is the likely route that Alberta will take. Make the entire country suffer and focus all the blame on BC. This is no bluff. BigOil might suffer a drop in earnings for a month or two, but eventually, public opinion will come into line behind Justin and leftist BC will eventually just cave. Justin will enter the election campaign on a wave of public support as he ushers in a new era of Canadian prosperity. BC can sulk while the rest of Canada celebrates.

Maybe it's good timing that the legalization of weed coincides with all this. Rach will celebrate with a big one by the barbecue pit. Horgan will need one to ease the pain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Hurtlander wrote:Nice idea, but.....Kinder Morgan runs smart pigs through their pipeline on a regular basis that both cleans the pipe between flowing different products, and also inspects the overall pipe integrity.

I understand the term of "Smart Pigs" (it is not a derogatory term) for those that might be offended.....BUT.....how much of a test discrepancy does it take to initiate a shut-down and hands-on/personal inspection of that piece of pipe?
That discrepancy could be initiated by a paperwork/math error.
The investigation could take months to complete, in the name of safety.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

delSol97 wrote:So if Alberta can pass a bill and so easily limit "the flow" of oil out of Alberta, what's to stop BC from passing a bill that will "limit the flow" of oil through the pipeline once it crosses in to BC after it's built?

If Alberta has already "limited" the flow, or shut it off, what exactly would BC limit?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Jhunter199 wrote:
delSol97 wrote:So if Alberta can pass a bill and so easily limit "the flow" of oil out of Alberta, what's to stop BC from passing a bill that will "limit the flow" of oil through the pipeline once it crosses in to BC after it's built?

If Alberta has already "limited" the flow, or shut it off, what exactly would BC limit?

A province having a compunction to exploit a resource within their jurisdiction for use in another is not in the constitution. (The way that Pierre Trudeau compelled Alberta to supply eastern Canada in past was by blocking export permits, a tool the federal government, wrapped in NAFTA complexities, does not really have anymore. By blocking export permits, Pierre basically said, you either supply eastern Canada, or no one.)

A province having a compunction to allow the free transportation of goods through a province for use outside of that province is in the constitution.

See section 121 of the constitution and the Gold Seal decision of 1921. This old ground, and well established.

BC may add taxes to say, dilbit, used within BC, but has no jurisdiction beyond that.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/memo-to- ... et-a-grip/
Don't want to discuss the bitumen railway? Then how about this?
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/memo-to-alberta-get-a-grip/

When I got here ("...John Horgan isn’t helping. But, guess what? He campaigned on an anti-pipeline platform and got elected.") I quit reading because it gives the impression, to those who may not know better, that he was elected Premier of BC.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^^ Spot on. I did exactly the same. I thought authors would fact check before sending an essay to print.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Snman wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/memo-to-alberta-get-a-grip/

When I got here ("...John Horgan isn’t helping. But, guess what? He campaigned on an anti-pipeline platform and got elected.") I quit reading because it gives the impression, to those who may not know better, that he was elected Premier of BC.

Oh, he WAS elected, my friend, and the sooner you and the other deniers on this these forums accept it, the better off B.C. will be. I take it you were so incensed by that line in the article that you didn't read any further. Do yourself a favour and read the whole thing. You might actually learn something important.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Cactusflower wrote:Oh, he WAS elected,

As the representative for Langford Juan de Fuca. That I'll give you. Elected as premier of BC. nope, the NDP lost again. [icon_lol2.gif]
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_C ... tion,_2017

This is the correct account of what happened in the 2017 B.C. provincial election. Read it and weep. The BC Liberals were not elected because they didn't have the required number of seats under the present FPTP electoral system. They will likely never be elected again because there are enough voters in B.C. who are not happy with the way they mismanaged B.C.'s finances over their 16 years in power. That's the short version. Do you want the long version?

Return to “B.C.”