Teen Dies from Accidental OD.....

dle
Lord of the Board

Teen Dies from Accidental OD.....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/224325 ... -led-to-OD

So sad.....this one really bothers me because if the article is correct a 16 year old was prescribed opioids by a doctor. I am one who is staunchly on the bandwagon to stop physicians/surgeons from being allowed to prescribe at-home opioid prescrptions for anyone at any age, but to prescribe them for a 16 year old? Give me a break....and then to say he was old enough to make his own decisions about taking them when their parents pleaded for alternatives??? Well I wonder how he's feeling about that now...this doc should lose his license in my mind. Granted this kid turned to a street drug but you can bet your bippy his doctor-sanctioned opioid use started him down the path that led him to use the street drugs.

His parents, Rachel Staples and Brock Eurchuck, say their son's drug use started after he was prescribed opioids for four surgical procedures in the last year.

They say they begged for alternatives, but were told he was old enough to make his own medical decisions.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Teen Dies from Accidental OD.....

Post by GordonH »

Anyone with half a brain knows prescribing opioids is largest single reason north America has the crisis it has with fentanyl & od deaths.
If any doctor prescribed those to me, I'd be throwing them out & going to local pot shop for strong non-smoking item.

Now some people may not get addicted to opioids, I would not be willing to take that chance.

My condolences to this Family on your loss.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

as you all know i am hard on junkies but this story makes me mad and sick, big pharma and the doctors killed this kid :swear: :swear: :swear:
they are all a bunch of sob all the people that support them only care about the bottom line and that's $$$$$
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Rest in peace young man.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:as you all know i am hard on junkies but this story makes me mad and sick, big pharma and the doctors killed this kid :swear: :swear: :swear:
they are all a bunch of sob all the people that support them only care about the bottom line and that's $$$$$

You don't think the parents had alternatives?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

not when people like you make them feel they do not, add another dead body to your big pharma toll
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:not when people like you make them feel they do not, add another dead body to your big pharma toll
You are quite confused and mistaking me for someone else. You are well aware I have nothing to do with your big pharma. And I haven't made them "feel" anything - that would be "your" big pharma again - you're the one that always brings it up.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Altho I have read articles stating Drs are not responsible for the crisis stats from the USA at least make that a myth.
Bigger problem is that along with the script drugs ppl mix other drugs and alcohol and in essence a disaster waiting to happen.
I hope some of the ppl who harshly condemn the drug users on the streets take a moment to consider perhaps at some point that " druggie" was introduced to drugs by the medical profession.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

normaM wrote:Altho I have read articles stating Drs are not responsible for the crisis stats from the USA at least make that a myth.
Bigger problem is that along with the script drugs ppl mix other drugs and alcohol and in essence a disaster waiting to happen.
I hope some of the ppl who harshly condemn the drug users on the streets take a moment to consider perhaps at some point that " druggie" was introduced to drugs by the medical profession.

Yep....and when prescribed drugs by the doctor, and dispensed by the pharmacist, the person taking the drugs has a tendency to think they must be "safe" - they trust their the docs would not prescribe, and the pharmacist wouldn't dispense, a drug to be used at home that could be extremely lethal, or that would hurt them, that could turn them into a junkie in the blink of an eye. So then they get their pills home, unsupervised, and use them. Then one day their dosage doesn't seem to be doing the trick so even though the directions might say "do not take more than the prescribed dosage" they think well just today I'll take an extra dose during the day, or change the dose themselves from 1 pill at a time to 2, or to 3 from 2 and it works for a few days til they have to up it again.....pretty soon they run out and go for a new prescription. By this time they are wired, the docs won't give them another 'scrip, they are desperate and find someone who knows someone who knows someone else and bingo-bango they are on the street buying drugs and so begins the end of their lives as they know it. These drugs SHOULD NEVER be prescribed for unsupervised, at home use. Only in hospitals and in limited amounts. I know there are a lot of people who are in SEVERE pain and don't care what they are taking as long as it takes that pain away. Pain can make you crazed. Big pharma should be working on some safer alternatives.

And people in pain can soon get a legal 'scrip for cannabis oil or even just pot - I've read and heard many stories from people who swear it saved their lives and made their chronic pain much more manageable without addiction and the dire consequences of that road.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

I have a 16 year old myself and am thinking there is WAY more to the story going on here. I would never let my teen use drugs like opiods without monitoring them myself as a responsible parent. There has to be way more to the story here.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Chyren wrote:I have a 16 year old myself and am thinking there is WAY more to the story going on here. I would never let my teen use drugs like opiods without monitoring them myself as a responsible parent. There has to be way more to the story here.

Well, I kind of thought along those lines myself, then I remembered 16... that's an age they pretty much do as they please and short of locking them up, or tying them to the bed-post, if they get an idea in their head you can't physically do anything to prevent them from going their own way.

How would you prevent your kid from taking those opioids when the doc says he's old enough to make his own medical decisions? That means, you could seize them, flush them, whatever, but the kid could just go back to the doc and get another prescription you don't even know about and carry on.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's sad that he already had OD'd on a day pass from the hospital. The child needed more help than what he was getting.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Chyren wrote:I have a 16 year old myself and am thinking there is WAY more to the story going on here. I would never let my teen use drugs like opiods without monitoring them myself as a responsible parent. There has to be way more to the story here.

Tylenol #3 contains Opioids. Morphine, Demerol. They are often given by doctor's as pain management and after having 4 surgeries in a short period of time these would have been standard medication given. One can so very quickly get addicted especially if his injuries were causing chronic pain and then you turn to street drugs to get your relief.

It states that the parents requested alternative pain management but the doctors didn't follow through.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

This really hit home for us as we have two kids that play high level sports and at risk for injury.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Seems like a simple solution. Stop going to the doctor unless its life or limb. That way if they give u dope u can say u probably needed it .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “B.C.”