SOGI123

miss_sterious
Fledgling

SOGI123

Post by miss_sterious »

I’m curious what people think of SOGI123?

Did you know that it’s in its second year, and in 51 of 60 school districts. Instead of relying on science, they make the claim that teaching young primary students about gender identity and asking them if they feel like a boy or girl is healthy. They also allow the kids to dress as the opposite sex and change their name. The kicker is that if this isn’t supported at home, they will report you to CPS for abuse. When did the extreme left LGBQT community get a say in how we teach our kids about their bodies? And since when is it okay to trump a parents right to preserve a child’s innocence?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: SOGI123

Post by Fancy »

Link?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

So, this gay woman has been researching this because I am one of the most progressive, diversity-accepting people around but something about SOGI just isn't sitting right with me.

I get that the school district is trying to be inclusive to all and that all kids should feel safe and welcome in the school system. I believe, however, that the problem has really crossed the line when it all boils down to DON'T BE A BULLY. Kids bully other kids that aren't "mainstream"... "normal" ... "like them". I understand that this program is supposed to teach kids that not everyone is the same and that's okay. Having said that, I'm not sure I am comfortable with Johnny in kindergarten saying "I feel like a girl" and having his uneducated, childlike "choice" discussed at school with a teacher. I think if Johnny does say something along those lines, the lesson should simply be "Johnny is welcome to feel however he feels, but it's not okay that you bully him for it."

I don't know, I'm sure there's more in my head, but this is me starting by just putting out there what I can "grab".

I would be very interested in hearing others' thoughts.

:smt045
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I once asked a gay friend at what age did he know he was gay, he asked me at what age did I know I was straight...having thought about that, it would’ve been before I was in primary school that I knew full well that I wanted to play with a meccano set and not with Barbi..So perhaps primary school is a good place to start living in the body you actually were meant to be in, rather than being forced to live false identity possibly causing psychological harm..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Hurtlander wrote:I once asked a gay friend at what age did he know he was gay, he asked me at what age did I know I was straight...having thought about that, it would’ve been before I was in primary school that I knew full well that I wanted to play with a meccano set and not with Barbi..So perhaps primary school is a good place to start living in the body you actually were meant to be in, rather than being forced to live false identity possibly causing psychological harm..

Yes, but that's gay - you're okay in your body, you are just attracted to the same sex. I think I'm wondering more about the trans population. It does make sense what you say. I didn't clue in (I'm a derp) until I was in my late 20s, early 30s though. Perhaps an understanding grade school teacher would have been helpful.

Also, my uber-hetero son played with barbies :D
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

First off, Teachers and the education system shouldnt be dealing with this very private family matter. I have always believed that all sexual education should come from the parents and not be taught in school. Its one of the many duties of being parents. Also Im pretty sure all kids younger than 10 are confused about a lot of things in life, hence why their favorite response word is "why". Vary degrees of Gender Dysphoria in one form or another is quite common in 3-5 year olds.(I played with my little ponies and watched care bears which back in the 80's was more a girl thing) but i believe the stats show 98% of them grow out of it before the age of 10 and go on to live happy lives as the gender they were born with whether they turn out to be gay, bi or straight. Nobody cares about ones sexual preferences anymore and especially so in Canada. But lets not add further confusion to already confused kids by basically promoting gender dysphoria to said kids in the classroom.
I do agree that malicious bullying can be very harmful to anyone and it doesnt matter how normal or different someone is there will always be one jerk that finds something to bug you about (trust me I was bullied lots even though i was considered very "normal") however school yard name calling is just apart of growing up.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Parents don't often follow through with educating their children with the basics which is why there are schools and sex education provides valuable information that parents quite often miss. It's been in the school system for decades.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

miss_sterious wrote:Did you know that it’s in its second year, and in 51 of 60 school districts. Instead of relying on science, they make the claim that teaching young primary students about gender identity and asking them if they feel like a boy or girl is healthy. They also allow the kids to dress as the opposite sex and change their name. The kicker is that if this isn’t supported at home, they will report you to CPS for abuse. When did the extreme left LGBQT community get a say in how we teach our kids about their bodies? And since when is it okay to trump a parents right to preserve a child’s innocence?

Has there been any indication the schools will report to CPS?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

How is this program working with respect to certain religious denominations ? Can a family "opt out" due to religious beliefs ?

The school systems are VERY sensitive about teachings that could conflict with a belief of a God.

Sounds like the type of program that would be perfectly suited to a complaint of religious conflict.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

my5cents wrote:How is this program working with respect to certain religious denominations ? Can a family "opt out" due to religious beliefs ?

The school systems are VERY sensitive about teachings that could conflict with a belief of a God.

Sounds like the type of program that would be perfectly suited to a complaint of religious conflict.

:cuss: religion....it’s because of religious conflict and man made “religious values” that so many from the LGBQT have had to hide in the closet.
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Nedroj wrote:First off, Teachers and the education system shouldnt be dealing with this very private family matter. I have always believed that all sexual education should come from the parents and not be taught in school. Its one of the many duties of being parents.

You’re overestimating the ability of many parents..I learned about male and female reproductive systems, where babies come from and birth control in school way back in 1971, it didn’t do me any harm, and I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t have learned all that at home because my parents didn’t have educational resources materials handy in the house to give me the lesson...believe it or not there’s more to learning about the birds and the bees than just “the talk”.
Póg Mo Thoin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I'm not opposed to sex education in schools, but am concerned that when it comes to LGBQT issues that teachers are not qualified to provide the necessary guidance.

Having a child simply say "I wish I was a boy (or girl)" is not enough to assume they're having transgender issues. If that were the case, I'd be transgender (and I'm not). Yet I CAN remember sometimes wishing I'd been born into the opposite sex.

Ditto for having a child dress like the opposite sex (children like to dress up, and children like to sometimes pretend to be something they're not). And as for gender appropriate toys, well I used to LOVE playing with my brother's toys (which were usually FAR more interesting than my own so called "female" toys).

When my son was young he liked to play with his sister's Barbies, liked to dress up, and often played with girls. But these days he's a 6 foot, athletically built heterosexual male who just became a father.

My point is that young children's behaviour, or statements, aren't necessarily indicators of what their sexual preference will be once they hit puberty. Besides which, teachers are not qualified to psychologically analyze their young charges, and most definitely not qualified to teach other kids how to deal with any LGBQT issues they may (or may not) encounter. In fact many teachers have prejudices of their own they need to deal with, before trying to tell others how to behave.

These days we seem to expect more and more of teachers, without considering that every new thing we add to the curriculum ends up displacing something that is already there. And then we wonder why overall educational standards aren't as good as we'd like them to be. Well folks, there are only so many hours in a day. So, if we want to ensure the highest educational standards we should only require teachers to teach that which they are qualified to teach, and stop trying to use the schools to solve all of society's ills.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Just before everyone gets their colon in a knot, please read the BCPAC information relating to the grade and school implementation of SOGI.

https://bccpac.bc.ca/upload/2017/11/2017-11-29-BCCPAC-Parent-FAQ.pdf

This document points out the reasons for the implementation of this curriculum, the implementation methods, and the ability for parents to "opt their children out" of classes involving this teaching.

Basically it is part of the anti-bullying curriculum. It has been said that, "They also allow the kids to dress as the opposite sex and change their name. The kicker is that if this isn’t supported at home, they will report you to CPS for abuse." This is not true. What is true is that schools will work with parents and students to make them feel welcome and accepted. They will work with parents and students to allow them to dress and function within their chosen gender identity.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

erinmore3775 wrote: They will work with parents and students to allow them to dress and function within their chosen gender identity.

My point is about WHO decides what the kid's chosen identity is? Because simply dressing in clothing of the opposite gender, or saying you wish you were of the opposite gender, or playing with toys normally associated with the opposite gender, are not sufficient in and of themselves to indicate such a choice.

I think that, in it's rush to be all inclusive, society is too quick these days to assign such choices to very young children. And if I'm right, that in itself is a form of child abuse.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “B.C.”