Drillers ignored rules to protect caribou

Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Drillers ignored rules to protect caribou

Post by Bigjohn69 »

The B.C. Oil and Gas Commission knew in 2014 that gas drillers weren’t consistently following rules to protect threatened boreal caribou herds, but has held the audit report showing those results under wraps, the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives alleges.

http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/ ... 1527514011

The audit, conducted by a wildlife biologist in April 2014, was a follow-up work in the province’s 2011 recovery plan for seven threatened caribou herds in B.C.’s far northeast. While biologist Dan Webster submitted his results to the commission, it was never released publicly, according to the CCPA. The advocacy group, however, received a copy of the audit report “in an unmarked brown envelope,” said researcher and policy analyst Ben Parfitt. Parfitt said the CCPA forwarded a copy of the report to the Fort Nelson First Nation, which had requested one but never received it. The CCPA released Parfitt’s briefing document May 28.

Those are two paragraphs from a long article which is a good read on how oil and gas industry ignore rules and gets away with
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Re: Drillers ignored rules to protect caribou

Post by Bigjohn69 »

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Interesting.

Were you able to find who hired Webster's company to do the audit?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bigjohn69 wrote:The B.C. Oil and Gas Commission knew in 2014 that gas drillers weren’t consistently following rules to protect threatened boreal caribou herds, but has held the audit report showing those results under wraps, the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives alleges.

http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/ ... 1527514011

The audit, conducted by a wildlife biologist in April 2014, was a follow-up work in the province’s 2011 recovery plan for seven threatened caribou herds in B.C.’s far northeast. While biologist Dan Webster submitted his results to the commission, it was never released publicly, according to the CCPA. The advocacy group, however, received a copy of the audit report “in an unmarked brown envelope,” said researcher and policy analyst Ben Parfitt. Parfitt said the CCPA forwarded a copy of the report to the Fort Nelson First Nation, which had requested one but never received it. The CCPA released Parfitt’s briefing document May 28.

Those are two paragraphs from a long article which is a good read on how oil and gas industry ignore rules and gets away with

Let's have a little look into the link that was provided......shall we?

Capture.JPG

The audit, conducted by a wildlife biologist in April 2014, was a follow-up work in the province’s 2011 recovery plan for seven threatened caribou herds in B.C.’s far northeast.

That makes it 4 years old already, if this was a child, it would be in big kid clothes already and looking forward to starting school next year. What took so long? Do they just sit on trivial information until can be used in the future?
To further exemplify my point.....
The region around Fort Nelson was heavily drilled earlier in the decade

Before I violently expel the contents of my upper digestive tract from reading any further, This is the reason that this webpage exists.

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/single-gift
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

rustled wrote:Interesting.

Never thought about that but would it not have been a govt minister ?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Bigjohn69 wrote:
rustled wrote:Interesting.

Never thought about that but would it not have been a govt minister ?

Not necessarily. He submitted his results to the commission, but it doesn't actually say he was hired by them. Unless I missed it. He may have submitted it to several entities, whether they paid for it or not.

At any rate, it often does seem there's not enough oversight around resource extraction. For me, the question becomes how we provide the best possible oversight and adherence to sensible expectations for protection during extraction, without creating a bureaucratic nightmare that serves only to ensure confusion, dilution of responsibility followed by blame-shifting. It's particularly tough when competing interests take extreme positions, which we too often see around these issues, rather than coming to the table and hammering out a "best path to best outcomes" process, one that ensures mutual respect, cooperation, and an extremely high level of compliance. Divisive politicking around public policy generally leads to a high level of distrust, mutual disrespect, and less likelihood of achieving that extremely high level of compliance.

IMO, it behooves all of us not to use the caribou and similar serious issues as a political football, but rather to look seriously at how these issues arise and how we are best likely to get to best outcomes.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Have any of u worked up in Fort Nelson. I have. Its all muskeg. They use miles and miles of swamp mats. Whole leases and roads. Matted in. Might be 5 mats deep if need be.

This matters. They can not just set heavy rigs on unstable ground. Tall heavy stuff falls over in mud.
As well as sinks.
Drilling rigs need to pull huge weight to pull pipe up out of the hole.
Have u bigjohn69 ever been a roughneck. Ever pulled slips and made your tongs bite.

I suspect u might not have.

Anyways as always it appears there is a lot of misinformation out there.

BC is most heavily regulated province or region in North America by far.
I remember my old tool push freaking out when our rig moved across the border into BC. It was hours and hours of double checking regulations. Changing this or that to be in compliance. Stuff like that drives up costs
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Reports being hidden by a Crown corporation and passed along 'in brown envelopes' after the damage has been done sounds suspiciously like what happened at ICBC, doesn't it?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Cactusflower wrote:Reports being hidden by a Crown corporation and passed along 'in brown envelopes' after the damage has been done sounds suspiciously like what happened at ICBC, doesn't it?

Can you remind me of which government was in power then?

Thanks.
Chill
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

flamingfingers wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Reports being hidden by a Crown corporation and passed along 'in brown envelopes' after the damage has been done sounds suspiciously like what happened at ICBC, doesn't it?

Can you remind me of which government was in power then?

Thanks.

Why, it was none other than the BC Liberals......when both these Crown corporations were hiding reports from British Columbians.

Return to “B.C.”