No jail for polygamists

Cactusflower
Banned

No jail for polygamists

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/229804 ... olygamists
What a pathetic joke our criminal justice system is. These guys deserve to be at the very least deported to their native Utah. Warren Jeffs, the leader of their so-called church will likely die in prison for doing exactly the same things these guys have done.

And how is the slap on the wrist Blackmore and Oler received going to deter them from continuing their sick activities?
LordEd
Guru

Re: No jail for polygamists

Post by LordEd »

You will of course blame the government for this failing, right?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

their sick activities?

That is just an opinion based upon your personal beliefs and level of moral values.

There are far more "sick" activities happening everyday in many countries around the world. This particular one is just in the press at this moment.

Don't judge others, lest you be judged yourself.

In some parts of the world, eating dog/horse is considered a delicacy. In other parts, drinking wine is considered a sin. Get over it.
Bring back the LIKE button.
jiva

Post by jiva »

Pathetic is a mild assessment of these sentences. These men, using religion to justify there sexual perversions, is beyond being condoned and should have been brought to a halt years ago. The courts are telling us that marrying several women is o.k. and sex with young girls is o.k. as long as it is consummated under the guise of some phoney religious beliefs. Keep all of them on a commune setting, brain wash them and keep under your control at all times and the Government of Canada will aid and abet your crimes.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What about religious sects that are not recognized or large enough to become detected?
What about the Hutterites and their cousins?
What about the Amish?
What about those communities that don't have any religion based society that also practice the same practices.....throughout the world?
Bring back the LIKE button.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

alanjh595 wrote:What about religious sects that are not recognized or large enough to become detected?
What about the Hutterites and their cousins?
What about the Amish?
What about those communities that don't have any religion based society that also practice the same practices.....throughout the world?

What about dodging the topic ?
Black Dogs Matter
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

I think its called " Religious Rape " :cuss:
Sheep + Shepherds
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Religion my a :cuss: more like an cult, essentially taking children & marrying them.
Once again Canadian justice not giving a damn about the victims.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The story only talks about polygamy.

I don't much care if consenting adults practice polygamy (although all of our social safety nets are predicated on couples, not plurals, so that could be an issue).

But were there no charges of sex with minors? Or even of forced marriages?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Yep had sex and married minors, does that change your opinion?

http://vancouversun.com/news/crime/wins ... ourt-hears
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

floppi wrote:Yep had sex and married minors, does that change your opinion?

http://vancouversun.com/news/crime/wins ... ourt-hears

WHAT opinion? That I don't much care if consenting adults practice polygamy? Why would I?

They were only charged with polygamy. The courts can't put them in jail for sex with minors or forced marriages when they were not charged with, or tried for, those very offensive offenses.

The records also indicate that another wife was six months shy of her 16th birthday as well. Ten months later, when she was barely 16, their first child was born.

Despite that, Justice Sheri Donegan is limited to the charges before her.

So, instead of facing the prospect of a maximum jail sentence of 10 years and a mandatory minimum of one year if convicted, the maximum these two men now face is five years.

The RCMP investigators would still like to know why the more serious charges weren’t laid. So too, I suspect, would most British Columbians.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

alanjh595 wrote:
their sick activities?

That is just an opinion based upon your personal beliefs and level of moral values.

There are far more "sick" activities happening everyday in many countries around the world. This particular one is just in the press at this moment.

Don't judge others, lest you be judged yourself.

In some parts of the world, eating dog/horse is considered a delicacy. In other parts, drinking wine is considered a sin. Get over it.

Why defend these people?
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Nice to see we agree on something besides fungus. :biggrin:
Pitapants
Fledgling

Post by Pitapants »

Strange replies, I read through the book of Genesis and found much the same actions and these people are revered through most of the world. I also found incest, killing of children, slavery, etc. I guess our values change over time.

Return to “B.C.”