How will you vote in BC Electoral Reform Referendum?

How will you vote in this fall's BC Electoral Reform Referendum?

Current System of "First Past the Post"
72%
Proportional Representation - Option 1 = Dual Member Proportional
6%
Proportional Representation - Option 2 = Mixed Member Proportional
16%
Proportional Representation - Option 3 = Rural-Urban Proportional Representation
6%

Total votes: 159

seewood
Guru

Re: How will you vote in BC Electoral Reform Referendum?

Post by seewood »

[quote="Urbane"]^^ The topic is the BC electoral reform referendum. Did you read the excellent op-ed written by Kevin Falcon? It comes down to fairness and this process is sadly lacking in that department. It shouldn't matter if you've voted Liberal, Green, or NDP in the past. You should be able to see the process for what it is: crooked! It's good to see Bill Tieleman, a prominent NDPer, co-chairing the NO side and that should be a wake-up call for those of you on the left.

Urbane, and others, I believe you are wasting your time with burned: Sozhzhennyy russkiy troll.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

The Rutland Residents Association is going to have a person talk about Proportional Representation at their monthly meeting Thursday October 18th at the Rutland Centennial Hall. The meeting starts at 6:30 pm the presentation will follow the regular meeting. The General Public are welcome to attend. http://rutlandresidentsassociation.ca/events.html
Last edited by wanderer on Oct 15th, 2018, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

A BC Electoral Reform debate ... seems like there are lots of ways to get informed:

https://okanaganedge.net/2018/10/15/cha ... ts-debate/
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

i support it. so i dont think its unfair. and dont care if falcon says so.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

The really unfortunate thing about any debate is that it will have little or nothing to do with Proportional Representation.
The entire debate will deal with the choices on the ballot, and the lack of attention to public consultation.
I have come to the conclusion that STV was specifically ignored as an option because it allows voters to vote for an MLA instead of a party.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

mikest2 wrote:it allows voters to vote for an MLA instead of a party.

good. the popularity contest gets you guys like trump. because people liked him. morons.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

burnedatstake wrote:

good. the popularity contest gets you guys like trump. because people liked him. morons.

Careful what you wish for comrade, even the Ruskies gave up on that commie crap.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Among those aged 55 and over, 45 per cent supported the current FPTP system, while just a quarter backed PR.

Support for changing the system was more pronounced among younger voters — 35 per cent of those aged 35-54 backed PR, versus 24 per cent who supported the current system.

Support for PR was strongest among millennials, with 44 per cent backing change, versus 18 per cent supporting the current system.

Half of people with a university degree supported PR, while 21 per cent would keep the current system. People with a high school diploma or lower split 39 per cent for FPTP, versus 22 per cent for PR.

“So while FPTP has an edge among older voters, PR has a more significant edge among people who are more highly educated and more highly correlated around voting.

A strong majority of FPTP supporters called the vote a low priority, while the results were reversed for PR advocates.

The official question British Columbians will be asked is:

Which system should British Columbia use for provincial elections? (Vote for only one.)

The current first-past-the-post voting system
A proportional representation voting system
If British Columbia adopts a proportional representation voting system, which of the following voting systems do you prefer? (Rank in order of preference. You may choose to support one, two or all three of the systems.)

Dual Member Proportional (DMP)
Mixed Member Proportional (MMP)
Rural-Urban Proportional (RUP)

https://globalnews.ca/news/4495228/prop ... ndum-poll/

I look with hope to the millennials, the 24-54 age group and the better educated segment of the BC population to carry the vote for PR. It appears that the FPTP crowd views the vote as a 'low priority' and will simply ignores the ballot.
Chill
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

mikest2 wrote:Careful what you wish for comrade, even the Ruskies gave up on that commie crap.

thats so yesteryear. you old fogies are like a broken record with your russian communist throwback crap. SO SCARY!! im feeling the bern.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

flamingfingers wrote:
Among those aged 55 and over, 45 per cent supported the current FPTP system, while just a quarter backed PR.

Support for changing the system was more pronounced among younger voters — 35 per cent of those aged 35-54 backed PR, versus 24 per cent who supported the current system.

Support for PR was strongest among millennials, with 44 per cent backing change, versus 18 per cent supporting the current system.

Half of people with a university degree supported PR, while 21 per cent would keep the current system. People with a high school diploma or lower split 39 per cent for FPTP, versus 22 per cent for PR.

“So while FPTP has an edge among older voters, PR has a more significant edge among people who are more highly educated and more highly correlated around voting.

A strong majority of FPTP supporters called the vote a low priority, while the results were reversed for PR advocates.

The official question British Columbians will be asked is:

Which system should British Columbia use for provincial elections? (Vote for only one.)

The current first-past-the-post voting system
A proportional representation voting system
If British Columbia adopts a proportional representation voting system, which of the following voting systems do you prefer? (Rank in order of preference. You may choose to support one, two or all three of the systems.)

Dual Member Proportional (DMP)
Mixed Member Proportional (MMP)
Rural-Urban Proportional (RUP)

https://globalnews.ca/news/4495228/prop ... ndum-poll/

I look with hope to the millennials, the 24-54 age group and the better educated segment of the BC population to carry the vote for PR. It appears that the FPTP crowd views the vote as a 'low priority' and will simply ignores the ballot.

The problem here seems to be that you are still confusing PR with the options Eby has given us. I'm not against PR, I'm against the buffalo chips that Eby has served up.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hm. What does "highly correlated around voting" mean?

Here's the part that resonates with me:

“If there is a vote in the end to adopt PR, I think this poll is telling us that A, it’s going to be by a narrow margin, and B, that it’s going to be highly partisan, which I think calls into question the legitimacy of the overall result,” he said.

“That, I think, is problematic when we’re talking about a change to our political system of this magnitude.”
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

mikest2 wrote:The problem here seems to be that you are still confusing PR with the options Eby has given us. I'm not against PR, I'm against the buffalo chips that Eby has served up.

im not surprised and ok with that. id be deadset against what the clowns you support would come up with too. so we're even
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

burnedatstake wrote:

im not surprised and ok with that. id be deadset against what the clowns you support would come up with too. so we're even[/quote]

Oddly enough the Libs let the people decide the option for the referendum the last couple of times, not so with the NDPGLeap. That would be far too democratic for the current crop in the politburo, the question must be decided by the neutral arbiter with no input from the people, and the details of each system and the electoral boundaries to be decided after the referendum by others.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

We also get a chance down the road to reject PR.
Chill
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

flamingfingers wrote:We also get a chance down the road to reject PR.

I've always found it safer to do research in advance to avoid disaster. This BS should be halted, and a proper public consultation and referendum held (as Horgan promised). There are still a couple of years left in the NDPGLeap mandate. It would be in everyone's interest if the government didn't blow this one out their collective sphincters. Ooops, my mistake, it would not be in Weaver's interest to miss his date of reckoning. (I can just imagine his electric car backfiring)

Return to “B.C.”