Legislative clerk and Sergeant of Arms suspended

Cactusflower
Banned

Re: Legislative clerk and Sergeant of Arms suspende

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:Rob Shaw makes a good point:
@robshaw_vansun

In talking w/ MLAs after #bcleg committee meeting it's clear they are all hesitant/worried about proceeding w/ Speaker Plecas's promised forensic audit, due to potential interference w/ police probe.
Which is a problem for Plecas, since he staked career on an audit backing him up

And another hint from Plecas:

@robshaw_vansun

Plecas now says if you are investigating finances it doesn’t mean fraud. So...?!

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. What's the point of continuing to kick Plecas in the :cuss: when there are other much more newsworthy items that are more apt to sell newspapers?
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Cactusflower wrote:So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. What's the point of continuing to kick Plecas in the :cuss: when there are other much more newsworthy items that are more apt to sell newspapers?

I guess we could keep kicking Horgan in the :cuss: , but that would cause even more brain damage to our favourite little commie.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Pete Podoski wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. What's the point of continuing to kick Plecas in the :cuss: when there are other much more newsworthy items that are more apt to sell newspapers?

I guess we could keep kicking Horgan in the :cuss: , but that would cause even more brain damage to our favourite little commie.

Aha........gotcha! Just as I suspected, it's the NDP you're after, not Plecas. Thanks for clearing that up.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Legislative clerk and Sergeant of Arms suspended

Post by Gone_Fishin »

B.C. Liberals call for outside audit of Speaker’s office, NDP refuses

Auditor General implicated in Darryl Plecas accusations of impropriety

TOM FLETCHER Dec. 12, 2018 10:00 a.m.NEWS

Opposition MLAs walked out of a committee meeting Wednesday after B.C. legislature Speaker Darryl Plecas and NDP MLAs refused to discuss Plecas’ allegations of financial irregularities and moved on to consider the legislature’s budget for next year.

B.C. Liberal house leader Mary Polak said the actions of the NDP majority and B.C. Green MLA Sonia Furstenau made it clear they were “colluding” with Plecas to refuse her request to identify what parts of the legislature budget may be “tainted” by the investigation into alleged wrongdoing by senior managers.

Plecas questioned financial reports signed off by Auditor General Carol Bellringer, leaving her unable to audit her own work, Polak wrote in a memo to be tabled at the meeting Wednesday. Plecas has called for a “forensic audit” of the books of the B.C. legislature but hasn’t shared his reasons for doing so.

“In order to re-establish public confidence in our legislature, this forensic audit must be undertaken immediately and with great care, and with guidance from the Auditor General,” the memo states. “However, we must bear in mind that the statements from the Speaker call into doubt previous audits conducted by the Auditor General herself, putting her into a most difficult position, as she cannot conduct a forensic audit on her own work.”

snip

Polak said Plecas’ allegations reflect on the operations of the legislature, and passing a budget without discussing them does not make sense.

“We can’t go on pretending that the chair of this committee hasn’t made allegations of financial wrongdoing,” Polak said.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/b- ... rs-office/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Removed
Last edited by TreeGuy on Dec 12th, 2018, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:^^The phrase "flogging a dead horse" comes to mind.
And for me the phrase "NDP hyper-partisan" comes to mind.

There's a big dark cloud over the Speaker's head right now and that's not good. He should step aside, pending an investigation, and I don't say that for partisan political reasons. In my view it would not be good for the Liberals if an election were held right now. The BC Liberal economy is still thriving but as the NDP's agenda starts to kick in I expect a lot will change.

The Liberals are better off letting the NDP hang themselves as they always seem to do. My motivation is making sure that proper procedures have been followed. For you it's enough to hear Plecas say that he acted "perfectly" and you hope that others will be gullible and/or politically expedient and agree. Not good enough CF. Not even close.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Since when is Plecas being 'investigated' and by whom? Mary Polak? [icon_lol2.gif]
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

And, Urbane, weren't you one of them who claimed that all business would promptly flee the province within months of the NDP/Greens forming government? I know for a fact that one of your ilk said he stopped hiring back in July 2017 even so 'he' had positions to fill because 'he' felt the new government would 'shut down business' within months!!????

Looks like a bunch of you have proven to be wrong.
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:

In my view it would not be good for the Liberals if an election were held right now.

On this point, I can agree with you. Under Wilkinson they are nowhere with nothing to offer in sight and Wilkinson so far has promised to re-institute MSP premiums - which will lose him a HUGE bag full of votes!!
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:^^Since when is Plecas being 'investigated' and by whom? Mary Polak? [icon_lol2.gif]
LOL. There should be an investigation and during that investigation he should step aside. No, Polak shouldn't investigate and it shouldn't be Farnworth either. It should be an impartial investigation. Plecas has implicated others so things have gotten very messy. For all the talk about the Liberals stirring things up it seems to me that the #1 stirrer-upper is Plecas himself!

And, Urbane, weren't you one of them who claimed that all business would promptly flee the province within months of the NDP/Greens forming government? I know for a fact that one of your ilk said he stopped hiring back in July 2017 even so 'he' had positions to fill because 'he' felt the new government would 'shut down business' within months!!????

Looks like a bunch of you have proven to be wrong.

If I did say something like that it might be because somewhere I had the impression that Horgan was opposed to Site C and opposed to tax breaks to bring in LNG. Now where would I get that idea?
[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

If the NDP keep breaking those bad promises they might just keep the economy going a little longer but let's get back on topic. Do you think Plecas has been smart with all the clues that he's been dropping? What do you think? Do you think that he's acted "perfectly" or not?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    On this point, I can agree with you. Under Wilkinson they are nowhere with nothing to offer in sight and Wilkinson so far has promised to re-institute MSP premiums - which will lose him a HUGE bag full of votes!!
The NDP are trailing the Liberals in the latest poll but let's get back on topic.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:

The NDP are trailing the Liberals in the latest poll but let's get back on topic

Sure, back on topic once you have provided a link to the site of what you claim to be 'the latest poll'. OK?
Chill
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Might be a good time for Plecas and his drinking buddy Mullen to give up the goofy juice. :130:
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:

If I did say something like that it might be because somewhere I had the impression that Horgan was opposed to Site C and opposed to tax breaks to bring in LNG. Now where would I get that idea?

The function of the Opposition is to oppose, thereby allowing more thought to be spent on the appropriate bills. It doesn't mean that the Opposition views things 'opposite' to the governing party - it simply is a function that may clarify issues and provide a more thoughtful approach to government passage of legislation.

You have seen a lot of this with the BC Libs in Opposition this past year if you have chosen to pay attention. However, they are a single-issue Opposition, thus generally ineffective.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    Sure, back on topic once you have provided a link to the site of what you claim to be 'the latest poll'. OK?

For the first time since forming the government, the BC NDP have dipped slightly below the BC Liberals in voting intention. When asked who they would vote for if the provincial election were held today, 27% (+2) of residents say they would vote for the BC Liberal candidate in their constituency. The BC NDP are a close second, with 25% (-4) of the vote, followed by the BC Greens with 13% (+3), the BC Conservatives with 9% (=), and other parties at 2% (-1). Roughly one-in-six (16%) are not sure who they would vote for, while the remainder either prefer not to say (6%) or would not vote (1%).

Link: https://insightswest.com/news/close-cal ... al-reform/

NOW back on topic.

Return to “B.C.”