2019 Tax Assessments

one wheel
Übergod

Re: 2019 Tax Assessments

Post by one wheel »

Didn't the Property Tax Assessment go thru a complete revamp years ago in order to bring the assessed value into line with the actual selling prices because the two didn't match ?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

People get too worked up about property tax assessment changes. Knee jerk reaction to a 10% increase is an assumption of 10% increase in property taxes. It doesn't. They really don't mean much unless the assessed value increase deviates significantly from the average overall increase of all properties. Assessed values are just a yardstick measure against which tax requirements for local govt's can apply what is supposed to be a fair collection of taxes. It is the Mil rate number that property owners should be focused on as that is the multiplier the taxing authority is going to use to determine what you pay in property taxes.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Well done BC ASSSECPTMENT make us all asset rich and cash poor. W|How the heck do these criminals get away with it...
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

According to the Manager I spoke to at BCA.. much of the formula for determining the value is what sold in your area.. more 2 storeys sell - higher assessment is assigned to all 2 Storey houses in that area
Good idea to check Evalue to see what your place is listed as, we paid 3 years for a second floor that didn't exist.
City said it was based on BC Assess., they claimed it was sold as a two storey home. It was not, they just assumed it had a second floor because of the steep pitch and dormer skylites. Street photo.
End of the battle I was told it was our fault for not checking ( we were just looking at the City Assessment that doesn't list that info.
They simply refused to believe it didn't have an upper level ( " when you look around do you see stairs leading up?" LOL
I sent photos and then they sent someone out to make sure I wasn't hiding that extra floor.
Nearly $2000 to the City for the no floor - do your checking
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

one wheel wrote:Didn't the Property Tax Assessment go thru a complete revamp years ago in order to bring the assessed value into line with the actual selling prices because the two didn't match ?

I have yet to see in the Vernon and district area where the BC assessed value is anywhere near the true value
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

normaM wrote:According to the Manager I spoke to at BCA.. much of the formula for determining the value is what sold in your area.. more 2 storeys sell - higher assessment is assigned to all 2 Storey houses in that area
Good idea to check Evalue to see what your place is listed as, we paid 3 years for a second floor that didn't exist.
City said it was based on BC Assess., they claimed it was sold as a two storey home. It was not, they just assumed it had a second floor because of the steep pitch and dormer skylites. Street photo.
End of the battle I was told it was our fault for not checking ( we were just looking at the City Assessment that doesn't list that info.
They simply refused to believe it didn't have an upper level ( " when you look around do you see stairs leading up?" LOL
I sent photos and then they sent someone out to make sure I wasn't hiding that extra floor.
Nearly $2000 to the City for the no floor - do your checking

I have never heard of such a thing ?? its based on assessed value ? did u not look at the assessed value like 3-4 years ago and contest it? obviously if u paid $ 675 per year extra tax your assessed value would have been much higher than it should be ?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

twobits wrote:People get too worked up about property tax assessment changes. Knee jerk reaction to a 10% increase is an assumption of 10% increase in property taxes. It doesn't. They really don't mean much unless the assessed value increase deviates significantly from the average overall increase of all properties. Assessed values are just a yardstick measure against which tax requirements for local govt's can apply what is supposed to be a fair collection of taxes. It is the Mil rate number that property owners should be focused on as that is the multiplier the taxing authority is going to use to determine what you pay in property taxes.

correct and exactly what I posted a few days ago and also to note if a significant amount of new houses are added to the taxable pool the mill rate goes down

an example of this is In coldstream BC I paid more house tax in 2001 on less assessed value than I did in 2003 on a larger assessed value
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Bought the house, Lawyer was to have checked everything. Had the assessment from the year before.. but it doesn't list square footage of home. Only realized the issue when I checked on line to see my house was described as a 2 story home on EValue.

After calls, them coming to make sure I didn't have a " secret " upper floor they said take it up with the City..
City said too bad but taxes based on assessment to we can't refund you.
I imagine the Owner prior to me paid the extra too ( he was the Builder)

From the outside many people think this is a two storey house - High high roof and 2 upper windows look like dormers .. but they are skylights.

So BC Assessment is like dealing with CRA, your accountant makes a mistake on your taxes you are responsible ( supposed to check the Accountants work.)
It is now correct, since they came and measured and took photos and I swear kept looking for the hidden staircase)
Queen has been here and can tell you it does look like a Twoie :/

On, and Lawyer said not his fault. Never anyone's fault when there is money involved.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well, taxes should be based upon volume, not sq footage. Someone with 9 foot ceilings should pay more than a guy with 8 foot or in my case 5 foot ceilings (height of some of the ceiling in room above garage). My assessment says 2300 sq ft on 2nd floor but 400 sq ft is that room with 5 foot walls.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

normaM wrote:Bought the house, Lawyer was to have checked everything. Had the assessment from the year before.. but it doesn't list square footage of home. Only realized the issue when I checked on line to see my house was described as a 2 story home on EValue.

After calls, them coming to make sure I didn't have a " secret " upper floor they said take it up with the City..
City said too bad but taxes based on assessment to we can't refund you.
I imagine the Owner prior to me paid the extra too ( he was the Builder)

From the outside many people think this is a two storey house - High high roof and 2 upper windows look like dormers .. but they are skylights.

So BC Assessment is like dealing with CRA, your accountant makes a mistake on your taxes you are responsible ( supposed to check the Accountants work.)
It is now correct, since they came and measured and took photos and I swear kept looking for the hidden staircase)
Queen has been here and can tell you it does look like a Twoie :/

On, and Lawyer said not his fault. Never anyone's fault when there is money involved.

We had a similar problem last year, we phoned in and sent the pictures as requested, they dropped our assessed value 70k oddly enough that is how much it gained this year.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote:Well, taxes should be based upon volume, not sq footage. Someone with 9 foot ceilings should pay more than a guy with 8 foot or in my case 5 foot ceilings (height of some of the ceiling in room above garage). My assessment says 2300 sq ft on 2nd floor but 400 sq ft is that room with 5 foot walls.

Sorry Glace but that is flawed logic. Assessments are supposed to be an average reflection of market value to comparable properties. If "comparable" properties definitions require a cubic foot of airspace displacement, you are asking too much from a limited staff to verify.
Nine foot ceilings should pay more taxes than eight ft??? I don't think so. You might want to appleal that your 5 ft high areas are not suitable to be defined as finished living space but that would be up to you to appeal.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If you had two identical houses with the only difference being ceiling height, and the price were the same, you'd buy the one with vaulted ceilings over 9 foot ceilings and 9 foot ceilings over 8 foot ceilings.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

after all of the headache they then raised the assessment so back to the same amt payments to City
I sent lots of photos too.. they kept politely asking me if there was any way to get up to the second floor
Damn! No second floor.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm sorry, but if you have 20 feet tall ceilings then you should be assessed as if you have two floors. 20 foot ceilings are awesome. Love 'em. Would pay double to have them like my in-laws do. Okay, maybe not double, but maybe 50% more.
- Douglas Murray
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'll let you know when we sell
The insane high ceilings in some rooms are great - except when you have to change a pot light

Return to “B.C.”