Good job BC

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Good job BC

Post by the truth »

oldtrucker wrote:This is a copy from Feb 19 letters.
I would like to see welfare and disability rates raised by at least $1000 a month starting 3 years ago. How to pay for it? Simple... raise taxes more on those that can afford it . Yes that includes homeowners. Maybe even you. If you don't like my opinion ...well that's just too f'n bad isn't it. The only reason this person has to live in their car and can't afford a place to live is because of money laundering, drug money and hyperinflated real estate.I don't care what colour of politics is sitting in the captains chair right now, it's the BC govt's fault. This is disgusting.
Author C.F. - PM me.

Addicts get homes, can I?
Contributed - Feb 19, 2019 / 3:29 pm | Story: 249656
I cannot understand what has gone wrong with our province.
I'm a senior citizen born, raised, worked, and paid taxes in Canada since age 16.
Recently, I was diagnosed with an extremely rare brain condition. I just had my second MRI, and the doctor said within 5-7 years, I will have full blown Parkinson's.
I do not have any savings due to working for minimum wage my entire life.
When I was diagnosed, my son and I lived in subsidised housing. When he decided to leave home, I was classed as "overhoused" and thrown into the street on New Year's Eve. I am basically living in my car, or whatever couch I can find.
I have had open applications for subsidized housing since I was forced to leave my home. Every time I call to see my status, it's "out of luck, buddy."
So, druggies are getting free drugs and needles and housing forever to continue their addiction? Makes my blood boil. Why is a seriously ill senior citizen forced to live in their car, yet these young, strong drug addicts who brought their plight upon themselves are given lifetime housing?
I get $350 a month for rent. There is no place in Canada you can rent for $350. It barely pays for my gas to keep warm in my back seat. I've lived on nothing but $1.79 chicken wieners for years now.
These druggies need to go to jail to free them from their addictions, not be paid to be an addict.
Thanks, Canada. When I'm found frozen to death, or pass away from Parkinson's, I hope someone will have the courage to stand up for sick seniors like myself. It makes me sick to my stomach that the country I was once so proud of now values self-inflicted drug addicts more than a sick senior who helped build this country.

great points ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

yes, this is what makes my blood boil, and heart break. The voices of the bleeding hearts for the junkies are louder than the frail voices of the truly needy.
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

oldtrucker wrote:The only reason this person has to live in their car and can't afford a place to live is because of money laundering, drug money and hyperinflated real estate.I don't care what colour of politics is sitting in the captains chair right now, it's the BC govt's fault. This is disgusting.

That's the only reason eh?
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

No nursing home for us. We'll be checking into a Holiday Inn!
With the average cost for a nursing home care costing $188.00 per day, there is a better way when we get old and too feeble.
I've already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn. For a combined long term stay discount and senior discount, it's $59.23 per night.
Breakfast is included, and some have happy hours in the afternoon.
That leaves $128.77 a day for lunch and dinner in any restaurant we want, or room service, laundry, gratuities and special TV movies.
Plus, they provide a spa, swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge and washer-dryer, etc.
Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.
$5-worth of tips a day and you'll have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
They treat you like a customer, not a patient.
There's a city bus stop out front, and seniors ride free.
The handicap bus will also pick you up (if you fake a decent limp).
To meet other nice people, call a church bus on Sundays.
For a change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there.
While you're at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise, the cash keeps building up.
It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today .

And you're not stuck in one place forever -- you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city.
Want to see Hawaii ? They have Holiday Inn there too.
TV broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem.. They fix everything, and apologize for the inconvenience.
The Inn has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are ok. If not, they'll call an ambulance . . . Or the undertaker.

If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you, and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation.
The grand-kids can use the pool.
What more could I ask for?

So, when I reach that golden age, I'll face it with a grin.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Sifting fact from fiction is the problem here.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

twobits wrote:Sifting fact from fiction is the problem here.

Underhanded way of accusing the above commenter of posting a work of fiction. How low can you go?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:
twobits wrote:Sifting fact from fiction is the problem here.

Underhanded way of accusing the above commenter of posting a work of fiction. How low can you go?

That's your area of expertise so how about you tell us. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

johnhenry wrote:No nursing home for us. We'll be checking into a Holiday Inn!
With the average cost for a nursing home care costing $188.00 per day, there is a better way when we get old and too feeble.
I've already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn. For a combined long term stay discount and senior discount, it's $59.23 per night.
Breakfast is included, and some have happy hours in the afternoon.
That leaves $128.77 a day for lunch and dinner in any restaurant we want, or room service, laundry, gratuities and special TV movies.
Plus, they provide a spa, swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge and washer-dryer, etc.
Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.
$5-worth of tips a day and you'll have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
They treat you like a customer, not a patient.
There's a city bus stop out front, and seniors ride free.
The handicap bus will also pick you up (if you fake a decent limp).
To meet other nice people, call a church bus on Sundays.
For a change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there.
While you're at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise, the cash keeps building up.
It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today .

And you're not stuck in one place forever -- you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city.
Want to see Hawaii ? They have Holiday Inn there too.
TV broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem.. They fix everything, and apologize for the inconvenience.
The Inn has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are ok. If not, they'll call an ambulance . . . Or the undertaker.

If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you, and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation.
The grand-kids can use the pool.
What more could I ask for?

So, when I reach that golden age, I'll face it with a grin.

Is that old e-mail making the rounds again? LOL..........I love it!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Someone should be helping the letter writer get the benefits he qualifies for - he says he is a Senior, you can apply for CPP at 60, and OAS starts when you turn 65.
Sounds like he has reached wit's end and really does need an Advocate. Surprised the Hospital social workers haven't hooked him up.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

normaM wrote:Someone should be helping the letter writer get the benefits he qualifies for - he says he is a Senior, you can apply for CPP at 60, and OAS starts when you turn 65.
Sounds like he has reached wit's end and really does need an Advocate. Surprised the Hospital social workers haven't hooked him up.

that would mean they would be doing there job. :200: [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

There has to be more to this story. If this man is on social assistance and/or disability they would make sure he was receiving any other money he is entitled to ie, CPP and OAS. If he is receiving CPP OAS? Then he will be getting enough to find a place to live, barely enough but enough. I know this as my dad only gets CPP/OAS and lives in a semi assisted seniors complex. For just under $1800.00 a month, includes two meals a day, cable and electricity with electric heat. All he has to pay extra is phone and lunch everyday.
The province will always make sure you are receiving all you are entitled to from other sources as it’s less they will have to pay out.
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

There are other programs available such as Guaranteed Income Supplement and Safer program Shelter Aid For Elderly Renters.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

A lot of people just don't know what resources are available out there and tend to not like asking for help, or just don't know where to look. In Vernon we have many amazing resources, but two come to mind that would help someone like the person who wrote the letter the op posted. Nexus Community Resource Centre offers a variety of services including a lot of help and direction for seniors, and the other place is Independent Living which helps people apply for apply for PWD and/or CPP disability --- both places also have a lot of other information on other resources in the community. As mentioned earlier, there is GIS, OAP, OAS and SAFER. That in itself would increase this person's income substantially above the $350 a month for rent amount so I really think there is much more to the story than what was put in the letter.

Return to “B.C.”