‘Massive changes’ at ICBC

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: ‘Massive changes’ at ICBC

Post by Urban Cowboy »

my5cents wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:The vehicle is not in control of who drives it, so insurance fees based on the driving record of the primary driver should be more than sufficient.

The extra fees and ICBC income should come from the bad drivers directly, so in the form of surcharges applied to the bad drivers licence. Don't pay the charges, lose licence, simple as that.

I see this new path, as nothing more than additional taxes on our driving experience, and more possible ways for ICBC to disallow a claim.

?

And just how will ICBC know that, for example, I'll be loaning my vehicle to a bad driver, so they can surcharge them ?

The very definition of "bad driver", indicates someone who racks up way too many tickets, of one form or another, and or at fault accidents, and ICBC is the issuer of said licences privy to the drivers standing. They charge according to that standing, so what is so hard about that? It's been done and works elsewhere.

The surcharges such a driver must pay, covers the risk associated with their driving, while not unduly penalizing others.

It's certainly fairer than this stupid household driver declaration process, which doesn't do a very good job of hiding new fees one might as well call taxes.

Why should I have to pay $50 on the rare off chance, that someone else might drive my vehicle once a year, or for that matter, risk a higher fee, should one of the people in a household have a driving record worse than mine, as that's the only other option?

As it currently stands, I'm designated primary driver of my vehicle, and legally I could allow someone with more than 10yrs driving experience, to drive my vehicle on an occasional basis, which has happened a total of one time in three years.

I'm not sure if that new system will allow that, since when they dream up something new, even the NDP can't explain it properly themselves. If it doesn't it's wrong and nothing but a cash grab, and if it does, I'd still be worried that ICBC might find a way to disqualify a claim should something happen with someone else at the wheel.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on May 20th, 2019, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Urban Cowboy wrote:The very definition of "bad driver", indicates someone who racks up way too many tickets, of one form or another, and or at fault accidents, and ICBC is the issuer of said licences privy to the drivers standing. They charge according to that standing, so what is so hard about that? It's been done and works elsewhere.

The surcharges such a driver must pay, covers the risk associated with their driving, while not unduly penalizing others.

It's certainly fairer than this stupid household driver declaration process, which doesn't do a very good job of hiding new fees one might as well call taxes.

So ticket revenue will now go to ICBC ? Or would this be a much higher driver penalty points plus claims penalty ?

Aren't you actually saying, since you want tickets and at fault accidents to be connected to the bad driver's license and driver's standing that each person carries their own auto insurance, unconnected to any vehicle.

Now consider I'm a bad driver, lots of tickets and lots of claims, how do you charge me the appropriate premium, you don't know what vehicle I'm going to be driving ? Lets say I don't have a vehicle registered and I borrow my fathers $100,000 vehicle ?????

Yes, the liability insurance would likely work but the premium towards the value of the driven vehicle, not so.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Its doesnt matter what they try to due to make ICBC work. It cannot and never will.
Even with the monopoly on car insurance they still fail.
Only one reason why. Management lead by the government's. Each of them, not just one.
They do not, will never have the ability to make it work
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

This is a step in the right direction:
More changes to ICBC rates mean drivers with convictions and tickets could soon start paying more for optional coverage.
Serious conviction such as impaired driving, distracted driving or excessive speeding would see optional insurance go up after a single offence. More minor infractions, such as failing to stop, failing to yield or speeding would require two or more offences to see rates jump.

"Today, about 10 per cent of ICBC's optional customers have a record of multiple or serious driving convictions, yet pay the same optional premium as a customer with no convictions – this isn't right," Attorney General David Eby said in a press release.

This, too:
The changes would also provide a 10 per cent discount on third-party liability to drivers with vehicles equipped with autonomous emergency braking, and to those who drive less than 5,000 kilometres a year.

​Extended discounts will be made available for drivers with up to 40 years of experience, up from the current limit of nine years, while rates for inexperienced drivers and those with at-fault accidents will also go up.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/258205 ... -more-ICBC
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Here's an interesting news item

Woman Run Over Twice - A Victoria woman is in intensive care after being hit and then backed over by her friend. The woman was visiting Los Angeles at the time.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/259485 ... over-twice

Now, as usual there is a Go Fund Me Page set up...

We don't know the circumstances, was the vehicle a US vehicle or a BC vehicle (ie, was she visiting a US friend) But you are injured hundreds of miles from home, in a foreign country, did she have travel insurance ? How long will it take to get anything from the travel insurance company, or perhaps a US auto insurance company ???? What about any lost wages ???

How many knew that ICBC will supply coverage under the woman's ICBC No Fault Coverage, as long as she either has a BC DL, insures a vehicle in BC or lives in the residence of someone who insures a BC vehicle.

She is covered for medical, wage loss and rehabilitation by ICBC.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Not sure if this has mentioned elsewhere, but here’s a heads up for anyone that ever tows a larger trailer..

https://globalnews.ca/news/5427413/what ... is-summer/
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “B.C.”