Ground rules for gas

Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Ground rules for gas

Post by Mike Br. »

Jlabute wrote:Since cancelling the carbon tax, Calgary gas prices are 96.9 today.

It's quite an eye-opener, isn't it? No wonder why the Feds are rushing in to close the gap, asap. With this exposure, they may get a revolt on their hands.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Mike Br. wrote:
Jlabute wrote:Since cancelling the carbon tax, Calgary gas prices are 96.9 today.

It's quite an eye-opener, isn't it? No wonder why the Feds are rushing in to close the gap, asap. With this exposure, they may get a revolt on their hands.

It was only a few pennies and has nothing to do with why gas is upwards of 45 cents cheaper in Calgary. My math is poor at best but a few pennies does not equal 45 cents.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

It was only a few pennies and has nothing to do with why gas is upwards of 45 cents cheaper in Calgary. My math is poor at best but a few pennies does not equal 45 cents.[/quote]

Its all taxes
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Omnitheo wrote:An explanation of where you’re coming up with the “90% fees and taxes” would be helpful.

Unless you’re just being hyperbolic and don’t actually have any insight on the matter other than echo chamber rhetoric born out of hatred?

----------------------------------------
Politicians and most others seem to forget that this stuff is taxed from before it leaves the ground and all the way to the pump. Every time it is handled, refined or transported, tax is applied. That tax is then passed on to consumers like any smart business manager should do. Since taxes are a cost of doing business, a company adds on their profit margin to those taxes. Horgan moved our Health Care premiums sideways and dumped them on small business. Those businesses simply increase their prices and pass on that tax on to us, the consumer. We end up actually paying more plus Horgan can charge more PST.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Ah, the good old gas price discussion is back again. This time just a post or two from me...

Costs have absolutely nothing to do with it. Oil companies price where they do because they can. Gas is priced like virtually everything else you buy... it’s simply market-based pricing.

I posted all of the detailed information in another thread on this topic and to sum it up, it showed the profit margins made by companies in the oil industry are in line with other industries and are only slightly higher than the profit margin average of all industries combined.

There’s no secret voodoo or complicated math going on.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Country plough boy wrote:
Its all taxes

No, as you would see if you clicked the link I provided above there is only about 10 cents difference between BC and Alberta in taxes. Thats it. Look it up. I did.
Country plough boy
Übergod

So u believe they charge more in BC just cuz ? I do think there could be something to that as BC thinks it is too good for oil and gas. Unfortunately as awesome as that would be. It is all tax.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Country plough boy wrote:So u believe they charge more in BC just cuz ? I do think there could be something to that as BC thinks it is too good for oil and gas. Unfortunately as awesome as that would be. It is all tax.

Yep. They charge what they can get, but not just in BC... they use the same pricing strategy everywhere.

We don’t stop buying at the prices they set, so by doing that we’re telling them the prices are ok.... so they might as well keep charging us whatever we’re willing to pay.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Not one person can refute the massive tax grab that is gasoline. They are pointing to a few cents here and there . Ignoring market pressures and transport costs. Ignoring the massive tax bill they are paying every time they fill up or even breathe now days. Thanks JT . Thanks BC Libs

Return to “B.C.”