Thursday, October 23rd8.8°C

Many More Mantleresque Mounties Misbehaving

Canada topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Many More Mantleresque Mounties Misbehaving

Postby crookedmember » Dec 6th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Sizeable settlement after Mountie misconduct

A B.C. Supreme Court Justice has awarded an Okanagan woman $15,000 compensation after her Charter rights were violated by "the tortious" conduct of two Mounties.
Juliana Silverstone sued the RCMP, claiming she was roughly manhandled by the two officers at a road block in June 2009 after one of the officers wrongly believed that she smelled marijuana in Silverstone's vehicle.
The Lake Country woman was held in custody for nine hours before being released without charges.
The RCMP admitted her arrest and detention were wrong and the seizure and search of her vehicle were unlawful.
In making the award, the judge noted the emotional trauma Silverstone suffered was worse than her physical injuries, adding Silverstone has lost trust in the police.

"As we all know from recent events, police can sometimes be rougher than other police might be. It was very traumatic for her," said Stan Tessmer, Silverstone's lawyer.

Read it on Global News: CHBC Okanagan | Sizeable settlement after Mountie misconduct

http://www.chbcnews.ca/Pages/Story.aspx?id=6442767493
crookedmember
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Many More Mantleresque Mounties Misbehaving

Postby fall » Dec 6th, 2012, 9:41 pm

That is one good lawyer!!
Last edited by fall on Dec 6th, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall
Übergod

Liked in: 132 posts

Postby MAPearce » Dec 6th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Awe ..thats not true ...She MUST have been doing something wrong...

The RCMP NEVER make mistakes..

Cop basher..(sarcasm off)..

Good for her. Cops can be AND often ARE pricks.. $15,000 isn't enough of a "lesson" IMO.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me.. What did your daughter look like ?
MAPearce
Guru

Liked in: 694 posts

Postby diggerdick » Dec 6th, 2012, 9:45 pm

It's sad that most people Don't understand how much of this actually goes on
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
diggerdick
Board Meister

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby fall » Dec 6th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Its a 2 way street!
fall
Übergod

Liked in: 132 posts

Postby MAPearce » Dec 6th, 2012, 9:58 pm

doesn't matter...cops are there to enforce the law, not to make them up.

Charter rights are charter rights. Law enforcement has to repect them. Full stop.

Her were admittedly denied.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me.. What did your daughter look like ?
MAPearce
Guru

Postby crookedmember » Dec 6th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Deleted by Trip
crookedmember
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1 post

Postby diggerdick » Dec 6th, 2012, 10:04 pm

It should be public knowledge who these officers were.

And if they had a prior history Of committing this sort of misconduct

This may not be their first time
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
diggerdick
Board Meister

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby bipdl » Dec 7th, 2012, 3:46 am

MAPearce wrote:$15,000 isn't enough of a "lesson" IMO.

I agree...EXCEPT THAT the perpetrators guilty of this wrong get a free pass, and it's you and I who get to pay for the victim's award from the taxes we remit.

I say: the individuals who committed this travesty should be the ones ordered to pay the court-award, just like it would be for the rest of us non"members" out here in the real world.

Where's the accountability if all your wrongdoings are underwritten by Joe Public?

Ewwww, I bet these lying, uniformed bullies-under-colour-of-authority got a stern talking to since headquarters must now mail a cheque to the victim. Yippeee! That's gotta hurt!

None of this matters anyways, since I'll bet the lawyer will get the lions share of the $15,000.
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
bipdl
Board Meister

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby WhatThe » Dec 7th, 2012, 11:16 am

MAPearce wrote:
Charter rights are charter rights. Law enforcement has to repect them. Full stop.

Actually, I feel their job is to enforce charter rights first then the law.
Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation, and war, and cruelty. People are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, while the grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem.
WhatThe
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 106 posts

Postby Ken7 » Dec 7th, 2012, 11:52 am

MAPearce wrote:doesn't matter...cops are there to enforce the law, not to make them up.

Her were admittedly denied.

It's actually interesting because as soon as a COP makes a arrest they are making law. It is then up to the Judge to determine if they were within the law and then determine if that arrest was lawful.

On the other hand, this one makes me shake my head.

What are the now teaching in Depot now? After hearing Mantler was taught High Risk Takedown technics here in Kelowna, I question is that not taught at Depot? If not why not, and maybe their training has really gone sideways.

I know it used to be great!
Ken7
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 307 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Dec 7th, 2012, 12:26 pm

WhatThe wrote:Actually, I feel their job is to enforce charter rights first then the law.

I'm pretty sure Charter of rights is a law too.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1511 posts

Postby WhatThe » Dec 7th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Yes Captain, it may well be, however if I need to be more clear.
Our peace officers should be asking themselves, "am I upholding the spirit of the law in protection of not only his individual but the general public as well?". Both subjects serve one another.
It seems to me that many a person and police have forgotten why we a charter or the concepts of innocent until proven guilty or ten guilty men go free.
Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation, and war, and cruelty. People are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, while the grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem.
WhatThe
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 106 posts

Postby Treblehook » Dec 7th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Why was Mantler given high risk take down training in Kelowna. I suppose it might have been given to the members here as a refresher on a high risk duty, or perhaps someone learned something as a consequence of a high risk take down that had occurred elsewhere in the country. Does it not make sense to continuously update tactical procedures as incidents and experience bring new risks or new methods to the fore. These are pretty complex activities and as we hear over and over again, no two incidents are ever exactly the same. These officers are taught all kinds of stuff in their basic training that they are required to update every year and other stuff that has to be udated maybe every other year or maybe every three years or something. Things like first-aid certification, shooting, use of Force, pepper spray and so on.
Treblehook
Übergod

Liked in: 240 posts

Postby MAPearce » Dec 8th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I can't count how many times I've been pulled over and the cop says " I smell alcohol"..and getthe gauntlet of tests....

There should be something more than "officer discretion" when it comes to that IMO. It's just to easy for the cops to abuse their power and most will get away with it because those who get abused can't afford to go to court..

But hey , the flag wavers out there will tell you "it never happens"..
MAPearce
Guru

Next

Return to Canada