Friday, July 25th14.4°C
21452
21195

Congratulations to PM Harper

Canada topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 7th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Urbane wrote:The books were balanced and then along came the 2008 global meltdown and we were forced to run deficits. I would have thought you would know that. What do you think Harper should actually have done?


Good question. Obviously he had a plan back in 2008. I guess it didn't pan out.

"This is a close election, it can go either way," Harper said yesterday in Quebec City. "If you don't want a carbon tax, and you don't want tax increases and you don't want a deficit and you don't want a recession, the only way to ensure that is the case is to vote for the Conservative Party" .
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6031
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby Urbane » Feb 7th, 2013, 9:56 pm

    SmokeOnTheWater wrote:"This is a close election, it can go either way," Harper said yesterday in Quebec City. "If you don't want a carbon tax, and you don't want tax increases and you don't want a deficit and you don't want a recession, the only way to ensure that is the case is to vote for the Conservative Party" .
And we have no carbon tax, no tax increases, the recession is over, and the budget is in the process of being balanced. The government could have balanced the books sooner but that would have likely thrown us back into a recession and the opposition parties, and a majority of voters, would have been very displeased. The Harper government has gotten it right on the economy.
"Just because you have the right doesn't make it right."
User avatar
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14105
Likes: 1015 posts
Liked in: 1165 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Make up your mind. First you say " what could he have done ? " Now you say " he has done well ". Geeezzzz ...
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6031
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Urbane wrote:and a majority of voters, would have been very displeased.

You do realize that the majority of voters are very displeased, right ?
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6031
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby Urbane » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:36 pm

    SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Make up your mind. First you say " what could he have done ? " Now you say " he has done well ". Geeezzzz ...
LOL . . . boy, my comments went right over your head. My question was a RHETORICAL one. I thought you would have caught that. The point was that he had to run a deficit and in fact the opposition threatened to take over the government by banding together even with the separatists. Let me know if you still don't understand.
"Just because you have the right doesn't make it right."
User avatar
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14105
Likes: 1015 posts
Liked in: 1165 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby Urbane » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:38 pm

    SmokeOnTheWater wrote:You do realize that the majority of voters are very displeased, right ?
They would have been even more displeased if we had slid back into recession. By the way, whatever happened with that hidden agenda including troops in the streets, making abortion illegal, disallowing same-sex marriage and all that??
"Just because you have the right doesn't make it right."
User avatar
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14105
Likes: 1015 posts
Liked in: 1165 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:45 pm

A promise is a promise ... he promised no deficits and no recession ... what was the plan ? You said " we " earlier. You must know..
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6031
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Urbane wrote: By the way, whatever happened with that hidden agenda including troops in the streets, making abortion illegal, disallowing same-sex marriage and all that??

No idea. Still time I supposed. LOL !! Seriously ... I don't remember that.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6031
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby Urbane » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:53 pm

    SmokeOnTheWater wrote:A promise is a promise ... he promised no deficits and no recession ... what was the plan ? You said " we " earlier. You must know..
Over your head again . . . if you're actually interested in learning and not trolling (I doubt it) you can find sources and read about the economic events of the last few years. In your other post you claim not to have any memory of the hidden agenda either so you can read up about that too!
:dyinglaughing:
"Just because you have the right doesn't make it right."
User avatar
Urbane
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14105
Likes: 1015 posts
Liked in: 1165 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:56 pm

You sound just like him ... Harper is that you ?
You mean election promises are a crock. Who knew ?
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6031
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 7th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Urbane wrote: In your other post you claim not to have any memory of the hidden agenda either so you can read up about that too!

I don't remember because it seems childish to me. I don't retain things like that. Sorry to disapoint you.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6031
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby Glacier » Feb 8th, 2013, 12:18 am

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
~ George Santayana
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15924
Likes: 284 posts
Liked in: 992 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby Merry » Feb 8th, 2013, 7:56 am

Here's an interesting article from today's "Globe and Mail". I wonder if the 52,500 people who lost their jobs in the last 6 months feel like congratulating Mr. Harper?

Canada sees biggest job decline in half a year
Canadian employers shed 21,900 jobs last month, the biggest decline in half a year, as schools and factories reduced headcount.
Despite the decline, the country’s jobless rate ebbed to 7 per cent in January from 7.1 per cent as fewer people looked for work, Statistics Canada said Friday.
The larger-than-expected employment drop came as the public sector eliminated 27,000 positions. The number of private-sector workers also eased in the month while self-employment rose.
Among sectors, education and manufacturing led the decline, falling by 30,900 and 21,600 respectively. Factory employment is now at similar levels to a year earlier, the agency said.
Construction companies added to payrolls and so did public administration.
Employment fell in Ontario and British Columbia last month, and among men between the ages of 25 and 54. Older men and youth saw jobs gains.
Job levels are still higher than a year ago. Employment has grown 1.6 per cent from last year, all in full-time positions, Statscan said.
Economists had expected 5,000 new jobs with the jobless rate rising a notch to 7.2 per cent.


Here's the link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le8374406/
User avatar
Merry
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2667
Likes: 238 posts
Liked in: 420 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby Merry » Feb 8th, 2013, 8:01 am

Urbane wrote: whatever happened with that hidden agenda


I would argue that putting policies in place aimed at keeping Canadians in the workforce to 67 and beyond was part of the "hidden agenda". Raising the eligibility age for OAS was certainly never discussed during the election.
User avatar
Merry
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2667
Likes: 238 posts
Liked in: 420 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Congratulations to PM Harper

Postby logicalview » Feb 8th, 2013, 8:26 am

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:You do realize that the majority of voters are very displeased, right ?


I'd realize it if it were true but it's not. The reality is that if an election were held tomorrow the Conservatives would win an even bigger majority, not just because they have been doing a good job, but because the opposition is so weak.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of fecal matter by the clean end.
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
 
Posts: 6921
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 392 posts
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Location: Kelowna

PreviousNext

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests