Wednesday, July 23rd25.6°C
21452
21739

Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Canada topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Re: Police Officers on Ski Patrol

Postby KL3-Something » Feb 20th, 2013, 10:13 pm

SurplusElect wrote:So really...what are you talking about? They just reported what was said. Blaming it on the CBC is just not valid unless you have the reporters notes to see what they omitted.

If there were rampant thefts and problems up on ski hills, you guys would already be up there patrolling. The context is substance abuse on chairlifts - keeping tourists safe from offensive smells.


You are correct. I don't have a copy of the reporters notes. I'm not sure what good that would do. They only write down what they feel like writing down. There is no requirement that they capture the entire essence of the interview. Just what they deem to be juicy tidbits.

What I do have that I suspect you do not, however, is experience. Experience in providing information to the media. In my years in this particular line of work I have given many interviews in various types of situations to the media in various communities. The CBC included. I have then seen the information I provided chopped up, often leading to the context being taken away, to fit into time constraints and/or to fit the slant being taken. I know that when I read something in the news that I am NOT getting the whole story. I have found, in the last eight to ten years, the CBC has become the worst for this. They used to have reporting that I found balanced. For example, when a current affairs issue arose and CBC radio was talking about it they would talk to someone on one side of the issue, immediately followed by someone from the other side. Questions were asked of both and both were given an opportunity to respond. This is no longer the case. I have lost respect for the CBC and if one day they government of the day decides that my tax dollars would no longer support the CBC I will not shed any tears. (except maybe for HNIC)

The owners want the police there. So the police are there. And if the owners want to hand them a pair of wire cutters to snip off the lift passes of those using drugs and/or alcohol while skiing, well that's their prerogative. Smoke all the weed you want in your own back yard. Smoke it on someone else's property and you may face some consequences. Like not being allowed back on that property.

Safe from offensive smells? Maybe. Safe from stoned people with compromised faculties skiing down the slopes in the presence of all the other non-stoned people? Definitely.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2789
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 438 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Poindexter » Feb 21st, 2013, 10:40 am

Speaking of misleading news, off topic but Fox news has seen it's lowest rating in ten years. Hopefully that's a trend that continues and people gravitate towards balanced news sources.

Aside from that, I used to board with an old friend who'd smoke a joint before his 1st run and periodically throughout the morning. He wasn't a danger to anyone, if anything he'd slow down because of fatigue. A day on the slopes for him typically ended in the bar at noon because he'd be too burned out to continue. Not sure why someone would want to ruin a great day on the slopes anyway but I still think guns and vests are over the top. Are they really going to pull out a sidearm on a mouthy teen who refuses to stop.? Not likely.
User avatar
Poindexter
Übergod
 
Posts: 1643
Likes: 75 posts
Liked in: 150 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby UltraViolet » Feb 21st, 2013, 10:53 am

jennylives wrote:It's a huge waste of resources. You can go to a pub and have a beer before going on the slopes. They should just give them an area to use so they don't disturb others.

Smoking pot stinks something awful, they should ban people from ski hills for smoking it, and it's Illegal to begin with so what are people thinking when they go and smoke it.
Also, maybe there is a connection with smoking pot and going out of bounds all the time.
Out of 100 people in Kelowna, 25 are normal and 75 are out of control idiots and don't even know it!
User avatar
UltraViolet
Übergod
 
Posts: 1578
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:52 pm
Location: City of Disorderly Conduct & Stupidity

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 21st, 2013, 11:22 am

UltraViolet wrote:it's Illegal to begin with so what are people thinking when they go and smoke it.
Also, maybe there is a connection with smoking pot and going out of bounds all the time.

People are thinking that the laws around pot need to change, so they're not having to hide the fact that they use such a harmless drug as a responsible adult.
I could go on for awhile about "what they think", but I'm sure you've felt that beat down before and don't need to go down that road.
You might want to keep the legalities out of your argument for two reasons:
1. Without people pushing for change through action, we'd still be beating women with a thumb sized stick and I'd be allowed to shoot you for cutting my buggy off in traffic.
2. Legality does not hold much value when we see what goes on in our policing forces in regards to petty crimes like smoking pot.

I've been witness on several occasions to RCMP officers and other police force members smoking pot for recreational purposes.
They are the cops that make it home after the fishing derby, without ditching their car or worse on account of the more legal drug...booze.

Your ask/insinuation that there is a correlation between pot smoking and out of bounds boarders and skiers is really quite an entertaining stretch. Unfortunately, that form of entertaining also robs the meat from your post.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Police Officers on Ski Patrol

Postby SurplusElect » Feb 21st, 2013, 6:30 pm

KL3-Something wrote:
You are correct. I don't have a copy of the reporters notes.

What I do have that I suspect you do not, however, is experience.


Also known as hearsay, coupled with the cbc bias. You don't know what they omitted.

Safe from stoned people with compromised faculties skiing down the slopes in the presence of all the other non-stoned people? Definitely.


Great. Surely you will have evidence/data showing the need for the RCMP to be up there for marijuana related safety issues.
SurplusElect
Übergod
 
Posts: 1618
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Fancy » Feb 22nd, 2013, 7:25 am

I would imagine the complaints would reflect that.
Fancy
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29535
Likes: 199 posts
Liked in: 614 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Veovis » Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:58 am

Graham Adder wrote:People are thinking that the laws around pot need to change, so they're not having to hide the fact that they use such a harmless drug as a responsible adult.
I could go on for awhile about "what they think", but I'm sure you've felt that beat down before and don't need to go down that road.
You might want to keep the legalities out of your argument for two reasons:
1. Without people pushing for change through action, we'd still be beating women with a thumb sized stick and I'd be allowed to shoot you for cutting my buggy off in traffic.
2. Legality does not hold much value when we see what goes on in our policing forces in regards to petty crimes like smoking pot.


I'll be clear, if they make pot legal I don't care, however your logic here is a bad form.

To say committing a crime because they feel it shouldn't be a crime, does not make it not a crime.

If I FEEL theft shouldn't be a crime does it them make it legal?

Of course the answer is no, and many changes have occurred by people pushing for change, through protests, letters, campaigns, talking to MP's and MLA's etc. You know, the proper channels. Smoking up in public isn't a form of affecting change it's the excuse used to justify the action.

I think they should make it legal and tax the crap out of it like smokes, but currently it isn't so people should show some discretion, instead of saying "ya but it's a dumb law dude, so it shouldn't apply to me"
Veovis
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2426
Likes: 72 posts
Liked in: 280 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Jonrox » Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:24 am

This is a win-win-win program - the hills get a police presence, the cops get to ski or ride for free, and the rest of us get a slightly safer hill to enjoy. And as an added bonus it doesn't cost taxpayers anything since the time is being volunteered. I really don't see a single downside to this... hard to argue with this fantastic program!
Last edited by Jonrox on Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonrox
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 986
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 88 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Rwede » Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:26 am

Graham Adder wrote:a harmless drug




Image
You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.

George+ says: "Makes no sense to me.
But that is not unusual."
User avatar
Rwede
Guru
 
Posts: 7514
Likes: 1797 posts
Liked in: 730 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby SurplusElect » Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:34 am

Jonrox wrote: And as an added bonus it doesn't cost taxpayers anything since the time is being volunteered. I really don't see a single downside to this... hard to argue with this fantastic program!


The amount of taxdollars used to prosecute people for marijuana possesion in order to justify free ski passes seems like a good investment?
SurplusElect
Übergod
 
Posts: 1618
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Fancy » Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:53 am

That's only one aspect - what about the other reasons they are there?
Fancy
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29535
Likes: 199 posts
Liked in: 614 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Jonrox » Feb 22nd, 2013, 2:23 pm

SurplusElect wrote:The amount of taxdollars used to prosecute people for marijuana possesion in order to justify free ski passes seems like a good investment?

Sure does.

You sure are hung up on the marijuana thing. You know they're there for more than that, right?
Jonrox
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 986
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 88 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby SurplusElect » Feb 22nd, 2013, 2:37 pm

Jonrox wrote:Sure does.

You sure are hung up on the marijuana thing. You know they're there for more than that, right?


So you feel busting people for simple possesion is a good investment. Explain to the forum how effective that is to Canadian tax payers. Who do we save fron the grips of drug addiction, by ruining their lives with a criminal record?

Also, you are talking about ski theft? Will the RCMP be checking ownwrship receipts at the chalet snd in line for the chairlifts?

...or writing up reports about stolen skiis 2 hours after hill closing?

That is of course, ignoring the offensive smell mandate.
SurplusElect
Übergod
 
Posts: 1618
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby Veovis » Feb 22nd, 2013, 2:47 pm

SurplusElect wrote:
So you feel busting people for simple possesion is a good investment. Explain to the forum how effective that is to Canadian tax payers. Who do we save fron the grips of drug addiction, by ruining their lives with a criminal record?


I don't think it's a great investment no, however it is not a legal substance and if people on lifts are making complaints about illegal activities happening on the chair lift, they do need to do something. How wonderfully self centered of people to think that because they "feel" something should be allowed they can impose that opinion on others.

I'm pretty sure the RCMP aren't out hunting down guys with 1 joint on them, but if you're stupid enough to not show discretion then you can pay the penalty.

Having a known police presence for effectively no cost as a deterrent to many issues is not a bad thing.
Veovis
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2426
Likes: 72 posts
Liked in: 280 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Feb 22nd, 2013, 4:56 pm

Tero wrote:I just LOVE people who defend illegal activity. Just love it.


Then you should appreciate the irony of your defending drunks, because I'd remind that though "drinking may be legal", being intoxicated in a public place is not, so you might want to take a gander around, and see how many beverages some of those snow bunnies have tossed back, before your next foray onto the soap box.
"Friends are the family that we choose ourselves!"
User avatar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10609
Likes: 314 posts
Liked in: 882 posts
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 1:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests