Why people are really starting to hate cops

Static
Guru

Re: Why people are really starting to hate cops

Post by Static »

^^^^^....... I'm waiting, Donald! [arms crossed tapping right foot].
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Static ...

The BC Complaint Commissioner handles complaints against the RCMP. I have not been able to find the updated stats.

The ones for every other police force in BC are available as follows;

https://www.opcc.bc.ca/statistics/stati ... ports.html
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

^^^^ so assuming 35% of complaints are legit and there was roughly 500 registered complaints in BC in 2013, that equates to 175 legit complaints. Given there are 8700 officers in BC, that works out to 2% of police received legit complaints.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Static wrote:^^^^ so assuming 35% of complaints are legit and there was roughly 500 registered complaints in BC in 2013, that equates to 175 legit complaints. Given there are 8700 officers in BC, that works out to 2% of police received legit complaints.

Uhh, no.

175 of all complaints which I can't bothered to Google for you. Much lower figure than 2%.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Static ...

You are going to have to go back and read the data again and interpret it right. Also factor in the number of police to citizen contacts there would have been. Something in the neighbourhood of absolute minimum 7 such contacts per day, by 8,700 officers = 60,900 contacts per day, many under trying and difficult situations; times 365 days = 22,168,500 police to citizen contacts per year.

Divide that by the 175 legitimate complaints you indicate there was and it works out to ONE COMPLAINT AGAINST THE POLICE FOR EVERY 126,676 officer to citizen contacts, may of which are officer to criminal contacts.

And you maintain that that is "why people are really starting to hate cops" ??

Not a perfect record by any means but damn good on average.

How many justified complaints do you think there would be if the cops were permitted to complain against citizens for the same reasons that citizens can complain about cops ?? And the citizens were held to the same expectations as the cops are??

Hell I can come up with over 25 complaints regarding giving false information and using disrespectful language on this one string alone. And you Mr Static would be one of the main offenders.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Freerights..... Donald has pointed out that many of the complaints are BS, which I agreed with him on. As a result, I used the "Legitimate" complaints because those are the ones that actually matter in this discussion.

Donald, I don't care about the contacts. It is the individual officers that matter. I would hate to break the news to you but complaints by cops about the citizens is a joke. I don't even know why you bring that up. There are charges for that. You should know that seeing as your and ex RCMP
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Static ...

If there is one thing that being an officer for 32 years taught me it is that no matter how professional your verbal and physical communication some people like you WILL find reason to complain about the police regardless of what takes place ... and I suspect any other authority as well.

It actually amazes me that, given the number of contacts, there are not more complaints being made against the police.

The above is said bearing in mind that some such complaints are founded. Fortunately we live in a country where such officers can be held to account for their unprofessional behaviour.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Static wrote:

Freerights..... Donald has pointed out that many of the complaints are BS, which I agreed with him on. As a result, I used the "Legitimate" complaints because those are the ones that actually matter in this discussion.

Donald, I don't care about the contacts. It is the individual officers that matter. I would hate to break the news to you but complaints by cops about the citizens is a joke. I don't even know why you bring that up. There are charges for that. You should know that seeing as your and ex RCMP

I'll bet I know why you don't care bout the contacts. Because they blow all your theories totally away.

You like to compare the number of legitimate complaints to the total number of complaints which is totally useless.

To prove that point let's take a day with one complaint lodged and it is a legitimate complaint. That would mean by your thinking 100%. Yet on that day the officers would have had approximately 60,900 contacts. 60,899 of them would have no complaint lodged. Sort of blows your theory away doesn't it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Donald, one thing about being a taxpaying citizen is that some Police like YOU can never take criticism. I have nothing against the Police except for the ones that break the law themselves. I've made that pretty clear.

Smurf, you make no sense.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Static, you actually don't even understand what we're talking about, do you. It would be not considering the total number of contacts that would make no sense.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Static wrote:Donald, one thing about being a taxpaying citizen is that some Police like YOU can never take criticism. I have nothing against the Police except for the ones that break the law themselves. I've made that pretty clear.

try spending time hating convicted criminals instead of hard working cops trying to make the world a BETTER PLACE
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Static wrote:Donald, one thing about being a taxpaying citizen is that some Police like YOU can never take criticism. I have nothing against the Police except for the ones that break the law themselves. I've made that pretty clear.

I think we all agree with this notion, so I'm not positive why this is a continued discussion.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

^^^^ agreed.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Static ...

I suspect that The Truth was in no way agreeing with your completely uncalled for and false allegation about Smurf.

Such cheap comments add nothing to the discussion.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I am unclear what you are talking about Donald. But please be certain to console Smurf for me.

Return to “Canada”