Bell wants to criminalize piracy with nafta

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Bell wants to criminalize piracy with nafta

Post by maryjane48 »

Bell, Canada's largest telecom company, has called on the government to support radical copyright and broadcast distribution reforms as part of the NAFTA renegotiation. Their proposals include the creation of a mandated website blocking system without judicial review overseen by the CRTC, and the complete criminalization of copyright violations with criminal provisions attached to all commercial infringement

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/michael-geis ... a-homepage
spooker

Re: Bell wants to criminalize piracy with nafta

Post by spooker »

First they (copyright holders, not specifically Bell) tried to do something like that with regards to copyright via the TPP ... now they are working on getting it into NAFTA ... sadly it doesn't surprise me how copyright holders have fought tooth and nail to just get the current system extended without regards to how people actually use it or what makes more sense in today's world
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Doesn't this just smack of Orwell's 1984 world? :200:

Didn't we go through something similar to this years ago when the CRTC was hatched? If I recall correctly we fought tooth and nail to keep USA programs (popular) but wound up with more canadian made productions (unpopular, and mostly of CBC origin). There was to be a certain percentage of airtime devoted wholly to canadian content.

I have no idea what the phrase "simultaneous substitution" really means as it is not defined. I am guessing that more Anne of Green Gables would appear.

Also, I can't figure out why Bell doesn't jump all over the pirate broadcasters instead of our watching habits.

This will probably be determined behind closed doors as Bell wants.

:-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ since CTV, TSN, Bravo etc... etc is own by Bell.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, Bell is a huge outfit with lots of clout.

I think most canadians will sleep through this one only to find that some of their favorite information gathering sites are now blocked.

Censorship via big media corporates in bed with a weak kneed government led by an Airhead.

Only in Canada :-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4308068 the ideas for bell is to be able to block access to sites they dont like .
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/1.4308068 the ideas for bell is to be able to block access to sites they dont like .

AND, possibly the ones we DO like ?

Unknown
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/1.4308068 the ideas for bell is to be able to block access to sites they dont like .

I would take it a step further and state that it isn't about blocking exactly than having the power to charge for access. Welcome to paying bell to access other peoples content.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Veovis wrote:[ Welcome to paying bell to access other peoples content.

That's what they do now.

With the way Bell's billing system works they will over bill and then promise to fix it for 8-10 months hoping you will give up and quit bothering them.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Billing issues be damned.

If Bell negotiates a deal with Federal government behind closed doors, and they achieve their real goal which is power of censorship over CONTENT on internet, you will lose your rights to inform yourself.

That is a bigger issue than a few bucks out of your wallet, right?

:smt045

Unknown
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Catsumi wrote:Billing issues be damned.

If Bell negotiates a deal with Federal government behind closed doors, and they achieve their real goal which is power of censorship over CONTENT on internet, you will lose your rights to inform yourself.

That is a bigger issue than a few bucks out of your wallet, right?

:smt045

yea its huge and is worth taking up arms over

Return to “Canada”